Queer People of Color

Status
Not open for further replies.

zolambrosine

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Okay, first I want to suggest that this topic be for any issues that come to mind for anyone - anything in the news that a person may want to discuss, a character they recently read about in a book, personal experiences... anything! :)

I really wanted to see this thread made because this is a very important topic for me. Anyone who is politically-minded knows that a person is layered with multiple identities, even if political movements tend to leave different groups out. (i.e.: feminists leave out people of color, black power movement leave out women and queer people, LGBT rights leave out people of color, etc.)

So, I'd like a community to discuss issues that pertain not only to people of color or to queer people but to both. For example, the lack of QPOC in the media. Off the top of my head, I can think of four examples of notable QPOC films/TV shows. (Noah's Arc, Watermellon Woman, Fire, Brother to Brother.) No books. This could be my own ignorance, of course. On the other hand, there are countless queer films and TV shows for people who identify as white, so that to be gay almost also means to be white. In my LGBT class, I learned about Oscar Wilde and The Well of Loneliness - not men and women from the queer Harlem Renaissance, or men and women from the queer Caribbean. I had to do that research on my own. On top of that, "gay" tends to bring men to mind first - wealthy white men, for after all, wealthy men in such an ostracized identity would be the ones able to create their own community using money for their white and male privilege.

I guess the first discussion for this topic is: would you agree? When people think of "gay" today, do they tend to visualize the wealthy white gay man?

(And then there's so much else I'd like to discuss: black communities ostracizing "down-low brothers", the difficulties for queer people of color bringing their identities together, the fact that Oprah recently told Terri McMillan that he seems "gayer"...)

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Elizabeth Bear's modern Merlin character in the Promethean Age is a lesbian of color (and a university professor), IIRC - and in a healthy relationship, as well - but you're right. It's definitely an area where there's a lot of room for some great books to be written.

zolambrosine

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Will read!

I also just remembered the lesbian couple of color in the movie Precious, and I'm assuming the book as well. I've heard some negative comments from within my own black community: "they look white, they're not black" and "they're lesbians, they're not really black" (yes, I do know some people that think black people cannot biologically be gay, they only become gay if somehow infected by white people...) But they're also in a positive, healthy relationship.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love Noah's Arc. Seriously my favorite TV show ever. To your movie list I would add "Holiday Heart" (Ving Rhames as gay drag queen FTW!), Chutney Popcorn (interracial lesbian couple), The Incredibly True Adventures of Two Girls In Love (interracial lesbian couple), and Touch of Pink (Canadian Moslem gay guy who has Cary Grant as an imaginary friend). There is a movie about two married Indian women who get together but I really can't think of the name and I wasn't that crazy about it.

Books. OMG OMG OMG The late great E. Lynn Harris!!!! He's the king when it comes to novels about gay people of color I reckon. Half his books are on this subject and the other half not. Another few books I love: Blue Boy by Rakesh Satyal, Swimming In The Monsoon Sea by Shyam Selvadurai (plus his autobio), L+O 4EVR (ugh, I think I'm spelling that wrong, something with text speak!), and My Very Excellent Year (one out of three MCs is a Chinese-American gay kid).

Some others I haven't read yet: Babyji, Archer's Heart. Also James Baldwin!

Oh and some notable plays! The Colored Museum (one skit only--this scene is so powerful that during it's first run people in the audience attacked and injured the actor :eek:), Oh crud it's dinner time I must go.

These all have MCs who are queer POC. If you want books/movies/shows with a decent minor queer character of color, I got another list for you :D

Last edited:

zolambrosine

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I love Noah's Arc. Seriously my favorite TV show ever. To your movie list I would add "Holiday Heart" (Ving Rhames as gay drag queen FTW!), Chutney Popcorn (interracial lesbian couple), The Incredibly True Adventures of Two Girls In Love (interracial lesbian couple), and Touch of Pink (Canadian Moslem gay guy who has Cary Grant as an imaginary friend). There is a movie about two married Indian women who get together but I really can't think of the name and I wasn't that crazy about it.

Books. OMG OMG OMG The late great E. Lynn Harris!!!! He's the king when it comes to novels about gay people of color I reckon. Half his books are on this subject and the other half not. Another few books I love: Blue Boy by Rakesh Satyal, Swimming In The Monsoon Sea by Shyam Selvadurai (plus his autobio), L+O 4EVER (ugh, I think I'm spelling that wrong, something with text speak!), and My Very Excellent Year (one out of three MCs is a Chinese-American gay kid).

Oh and some notable plays! The Colored Museum (one skit only--this scene is so powerful that during it's first run people in the audience attacked and injured the actor :eek:), Oh crud it's dinner time I must go.

These all have MCs who are queer POC. If you want books/movies/shows with a decent minor queer character of color, I got another list for you :D

Oh jeez, how could I have forgotten about James Baldwin? I can't remember any of his work that outright had QPOC, but that's more because of the times than his own ideals. Giovanni's Place was probably the most outright queer novel of his... though that was with white characters. If I remember right, he said he wanted to separate the issues of race and queer so that the book wouldn't become a story about being black? I understand what he was getting at - he wanted to focus on queer issues rather than race issues - but again, another example of authors not bring race and gender and sexuality together. Still, that's just one example from him.

I'll definitely look into everything you've suggested, thank you! :)

Deleted member 42

Chip Delany in probably 95% of everything fictive he's written.
Lee and Miller in several books have a frequent reoccurring character who's an Indo-Asian bisexual woman, who falls in love with an Asian woman.
Vonda McIntyre in several works has women of color in lesbian relationships.
Cecillia Holland Floating World has a lesbian couple that's Chicano and Martian.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, thought of more: Kinky Boots (black english bisexual (?) drag queen) the movie, and Torchwood (everyone is bi, Tosh in particular is Japanese-English). Oh yeah, and Rick and Steve (really goofy cartoon, one of the title characters is filipino-american, one supporting character is Latino, one is african-american, and let us not forget about Bodiless Mute Blind Latina In A Wheelchair...yeah, it's a very silly show. And it's got Margaret Cho, Darryl Stephens, Wilson Cruz, and Alec Mapa in it. I think it's notable because it takes place in West Hollywood and they actually made the cast actually diverse like it would actually be.)

And on L-Word you've got Bette, and to a greater extent Tasha (I only say because Bette is always having to point out that she is black, whether she wishes to or not she always 'passes'. Of course this is an interesting plot point by itself. I love Tasha more, though. Plus there's Carmen and Papi.

My favorite minor characters from TV and movies are: the black gay drag queen friend from Woman on Top, Calli from Grey's Anatomy, Thom from Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist (movie and books).

I just want to say, I think it's so hard to find gay POC in fiction because the powers that be look at a character of color and say This Doesn't Appeal To White People That Much So We Might Lose Money, and they look at a gay character and say This Doesn't Appeal To Straight People That Much So We Might Lose Money, and then they look at a gay character of color and just run screaming in the other direction! I do wish there was more stuff out there, and if it was done right I think it would have decently broad appeal.

Deleted member 42

Oh dude, I can't believe I forgot about Samuel Delany. Okay, yes, QPOC books DO exist. Not nearly enough, but they're there.

Delany had a ginormous influence on me as a rural teen. He's also one of those writers that's fun to teach, and hard at the same time.

Georgina

Sushi at midnight
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for starting this topic! I'm finding new things for my To Be Read/Watched lists. A couple more:

Most of Alex Sanchez's YA novels have Latino gay teens. Jason in the Rainbow Boys trilogy is probably the best known.

Gravity by Leanne Liebermann is about a Jewish lesbian.

Santana on Glee is Latino, but it's debatable whether she's bi or just bored.

Kalinda on The Good Wife is Indian and either lesbian or bisexual.

Darryl Stevens, who was Noah in Noah's Arc, has been in a couple of other gay films. The only one I've seen is Boy Culture, which was pretty decent for the "films about rentboys" genre. Stevens plays the lead character's best friend/love interest.

Cheers.

AyJay

Luv's Conscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
andrewjpeterswrites.com
Michael Nava (one of my favorite authors) has a mystery series featuring gay Mexican-American detective Henry Rios.

There's John Rechy's City of Night, which is more a "gay" story than a "Latino" story, but the MC is sort of ambiguously Latino (it's semi-autobiographical) and there are some minor, but memorable gay Latino characters.

E. Lynn Harris has written a number of books portraying the Black gay (or bi) experience.

Ink-Pen-Paper

Life Is Full Of Stories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
what-me.com
Kinky Boots is good for several levels of straight and gay interaction too. In particular is the conflict of the straight factory owner and his desire to be accepting and the difficulty that goes with it. Also, it is based on a true story.

Oh, thought of more: Kinky Boots (black english bisexual (?) drag queen) the movie,

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score
Elizabeth Bear's Carnival has a pair of gay Black characters. Plus there's Tal from River of Gods who's a nute from India.

Nicole

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Author Jackie Kay --. I think she's lesbian (?). Her novel "Trumpet" featuring a black transgender protag (well, the story's all about him, though he's dead, so I guess he's not really the protag) was awesome.

Author NK Jemisin is an excellent fantasy writer, and she's got a steampunk story up here featuring a Haitian lesbian protagonist: http://nkjemisin.com/2010/01/a-story-for-haiti-the-effluent-engine/#more-261

Author Lee Lynch's classic lesbian novel, "The Swashbuckler", features a relationship between a white girl and a Latino girl.

Sandra Barret has a YA novel featuring a black lesbian girl -- on the cover and everything! (In Keisha's Shadow).

Last edited:

AlisonBlaire

Registered
Reaction score
Layafette in True Blood is another. Along with his 3rd season boyfriend, Jesus.

EndlessDestiny

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashlynwriting.tumblrcom
The MC in my novel is a non white bisexual. I don't know her ethnicity is, but I know what it isn't. She could could be middle eastern, Hispanic, etc. If I ever get it finished there'll be another contribution to lgbt books. ^^

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
James Earl Hardy novels. I FLOVE B Boy Blues. Man,I LOVE Raheim and Mitchell. I hovered the book,anxious and worried that they wouldn't get together. I was so happy to see them make it.

E.Lynn Harris told it like it is,RIP. His books are awesome.

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
Thanks for starting this topic! I'm finding new things for my To Be Read/Watched lists. A couple more:

Most of Alex Sanchez's YA novels have Latino gay teens. Jason in the Rainbow Boys trilogy is probably the best known.

Gravity by Leanne Liebermann is about a Jewish lesbian.

Santana on Glee is Latino, but it's debatable whether she's bi or just bored.

Kalinda on The Good Wife is Indian and either lesbian or bisexual.

Darryl Stevens, who was Noah in Noah's Arc, has been in a couple of other gay films. The only one I've seen is Boy Culture, which was pretty decent for the "films about rentboys" genre. Stevens plays the lead character's best friend/love interest.

Cheers.

Rainbow Boys is a trilogy...what are the other two books?

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Rainbow Boys, Rainbow High, and Rainbow Road.

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com

Books. OMG OMG OMG The late great E. Lynn Harris!!!! He's the king when it comes to novels about gay people of color I reckon. Half his books are on this subject and the other half not. Another few books I love: Blue Boy by Rakesh Satyal, Swimming In The Monsoon Sea by Shyam Selvadurai (plus his autobio), L+O 4EVER (ugh, I think I'm spelling that wrong, something with text speak!), and My Very Excellent Year (one out of three MCs is a Chinese-American gay kid).

I LOVED Holiday Heart. One of the cable networks that I had in Maine played that movie probably a dozen times in a three-month span, and I watched it every single time. I gotta find a DVD of that somewhere...

There are some great recommendations on this thread.

In real life... my three "uncles", with whom I've unfortunately lost touch, were a committed triad until one of them passed away in the late 90s. The other two are still together; one of them is Latino. When I spent the most time with them, back in high school, he had come out to his mother and a couple of other family members, but most of his family didn't know he was gay.

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
I believe Malinda Lo's Ash features a lesbian WOC.

You're right, though, QPOC are highly underrepresented. I actually have a number of them in my own as-of-yet unpublished (and as-of-yet unwritten) books. Still a bit nervous about how those would be received by editors, especially given that I write YA, but I'm hoping it's not a total lost cause :)

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I believe Malinda Lo's Ash features a lesbian WOC.

You're right, though, QPOC are highly underrepresented. I actually have a number of them in my own as-of-yet unpublished (and as-of-yet unwritten) books. Still a bit nervous about how those would be received by editors, especially given that I write YA, but I'm hoping it's not a total lost cause :)

I believe Ash, the MC in Ash, is never specifically described as looking a certain way or belonging to a certain culture. Author says here she pictures the characters as being Asian, but the story's culture has no Asian influences and she doesn't consider it to be a book about POC. :Shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.