St. Louis jail, and prostitution jail time in MO?

quixotic!fantastic!

o dulcinea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pittsinstitute.webs.com
Answers to any are EXTREMELY helpful!

I. Does anyone know the following about the St. Louis city jail?

1. What it looks like inside?
  2. How/where to pay a bail?
  3. How/where to exercise visitation rights?
  4. What kinds of computers they have?
  5. If it is co-ed? Is there a separate women's jail? Where?
  6. What do the incarcerated wear?
  7. What kind of corruption issues do they have?
II. . . . Or the following about prostitution laws, especially in MO?

1. What is the legal difference between prostitution and attempting prostitution on an officer?
  2. Do they just keep you overnight? What happens?
  3. What are the rules in MO about repeated offenses for prostitution? I heard it was 3rd time's a felony for the US, but I don't know about MO. Does anyone know?
  4. That said, if the first two times you're caught with prostitution are in WI, does the next one in MO count as a 3rd offense?
  5. What does the jail time look like in each respective circumstance?

Sorry if any of these are wickedly stupid questions, but you've got to have SOMEPLACE you can safely ask them, right? I've tried using the internet to find a lot of them and it's been rough going.

Also, if anyone has ever BEEN arrested for prostitution, has ever BEEN in the St. Louis city jail, please please PLEASE PM me if you don't want to answer here.

Also, I probably have like 15 more questions. Just thought I'd start with these and see if there was anyone around who knew - they're the most pressing ones!

I hope someone knows!

Thanks!!!

Last edited:

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know the answers, but here's how I'd start the research: Google newspaper St. Louis and find out what the major daily paper is for the city. Once you find it, go to the newspaper's website and search prostitution. Chances are, you'll come up with a bunch of stories about people getting arrested, posting bail, plea bargaining, getting sentenced, etc.--which should end up telling you a lot about the current laws on the subject. You also might be able to find out something about the local jails from searching the newspaper.

Best of luck with it!

Duncan J Macdonald

Plotting! Not Plodding!
Registered
Reaction score
Or Google "St Louis City Jail" You get this web site, where you can get such tidbits as:

"Bonds -- The bonding office is located on the street level of the St. Louis County Justice Center Building at 100 South. Central, in downtown Clayton. The office is open year round, 24 hours a day, for your convenience."

For other information, call the
Director's Office/Justice Services
Administration Reception Desk

(314) 615-5752

and ask if they have a Public Affairs officer. Explain that you're an author who needs some generally specific information.

Last edited:

cornetto

Registered
Reaction score
Or Google "St Louis City Jail" You get this web site, where you can get such tidbits as:

"Bonds -- The bonding office is located on the street level of the St. Louis County Justice Center Building at 100 South. Central, in downtown Clayton. The office is open year round, 24 hours a day, for your convenience."

For other information, call the
Director's Office/Justice Services
Administration Reception Desk
(314) 615-5752

and ask if they have a Public Affairs officer. Explain that you're an author who needs some generally specific information.

The website you listed is for the St. Louis County Justice Center not the City Justice Center (St. Louis City Jail). Confusing, but they are separate entities.

The City Justice Center :

http://stlouis-mo.gov/government/departments/public-safety/corrections/city-justice-center.cfm

Trivia: They used to have a medium security building called "The Workhouse". I think they tore it down several years ago and built a new facility. :googling: Looks like they still call it The Workhouse. This is interesting:

http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/c500-599/5460000881.htm

Duncan J Macdonald

Plotting! Not Plodding!
Registered
Reaction score
The website you listed is for the St. Louis County Justice Center not the City Justice Center (St. Louis City Jail). Confusing, but they are separate entities.

The City Justice Center :

http://stlouis-mo.gov/government/departments/public-safety/corrections/city-justice-center.cfm

Trivia: They used to have a medium security building called "The Workhouse". I think they tore it down several years ago and built a new facility. :googling: Looks like they still call it The Workhouse. This is interesting:

http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/c500-599/5460000881.htm
Sorry, my bad.
I can only claim that I was distracted by the Washington Capitals losing to the Florida Panthers.

quixotic!fantastic!

o dulcinea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pittsinstitute.webs.com
Thanks! The Workhouse sounds cool. It sent me off on another long ramble for information, during which EVERYTHING turned up completely empty again, but I really like the idea. Apparently they are largely infamous for having lost 130 prisoners to escape since they opened in the 1940's. It looks like it's still open.

Do you know anyone who might know the answers to my questions, or someone who might know someone who knows??

Calling is definitely on my list of possibilities, but as the idea makes me wicked nervous, I'm hoping to bypass it.

amacrae

Registered
Reaction score
Send an email or call the newspaper and ask to talk with a local reporter, preferably one who handles crime news and interview them.

Thanks! The Workhouse sounds cool. It sent me off on another long ramble for information, during which EVERYTHING turned up completely empty again, but I really like the idea. Apparently they are largely infamous for having lost 130 prisoners to escape since they opened in the 1940's. It looks like it's still open.

Do you know anyone who might know the answers to my questions, or someone who might know someone who knows??

Calling is definitely on my list of possibilities, but as the idea makes me wicked nervous, I'm hoping to bypass it.

HopeWelsh

Registered
Reaction score
The jail's website should have information on visiting hours--and means. Some jails only allow visitation through glass-others allow one-on-one in rooms.

Check some court cases in the area and see pics taken in court. I'm guessing orange scrubs--

A phone call to city hall SHOULD yield a lot of your answers. In every town--there are bail bondsmen. Call one of THEM and ask if you're worried about calling the jail.

Most prostitutes are arrested while soliciting a police officer.

With habitual offenders, a year or more in jail would be common. In most cities, though, it's not like you can pay a fine and go home. All would require a court appearance at some point.