PDA

View Full Version : Writers/editors for educational material

threebluestars
01-11-2011, 06:46 AM
I got this lead and want to pass it on to any interested.

Imperial Publishing is looking for freelance editors and writers for their content, which is generally TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Langage) multiple choice passages and tests.

If you are interested, email David Kimel at kimel@post.harvard.edu with your resume.

Let them know what volume of work you'd be able to take on per week (each TOEFL passage has 15 questions).

Passages can be in four major categories (art, life science, physical science or social science), range from 700 - 750 words, and multiple choice questions have to follow a certain order/format/style, but stylebooks are provided. Work is done in Word using Track Changes, and compensation ranges based on the amount of work you can do, but it can bring in a few hundred dollars a week.

Debbie V
01-12-2011, 07:57 AM
Thanks for posting this. I just sent a resume. Wish me luck.

Finchlark
01-14-2011, 01:35 PM
I emailed them but they don't seem to know much about having any current vacancies?

Tom from UK
01-14-2011, 03:31 PM
I had a very positive, professional response from them. Not sure yet if it will turn into any actual work but if it doesn't that will be at least as much down to me as them, I suspect.

Finchlark
01-14-2011, 04:45 PM
Yes, a nice reply, but no current work as yet.

Tom from UK
01-28-2011, 12:06 PM
Pay is low but not silly. Work is real.

CurranCR
01-31-2011, 09:11 AM
Pay is low but not silly. Work is real.

Tom, could you clarify "low, but not silly"? (You can PM me, if you prefer.) I have an ESL and writing background, but would like to know if this is worth applying for.

Caroline

Debbie V
02-01-2011, 07:51 AM
I had started a trial for them, but had software issues. My fault. I've updated the software and asked for another shot, but won't be surprised if I never hear back. I didn't get the money info before all went south. I'd love to have that too just in case. Thanks.

Tom from UK
02-04-2011, 02:21 PM
I've done a couple of things for them and the amounts they paid were different for each. The amount of work varies a lot depending on the quality of the original submission. I carefully timed the last one and it worked out that I was getting below the UK minimum wage, so I could arguably have been better off at MacDonalds. But the work is interesting and maybe I was just slow. It certainly wasn't one of these jobs I see here that just pay pennies. It looks pretty professional.