Dark fantasy plot idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

WVWriterGirl

Inked Mom
Registered
Reaction score
I have an idea for a new story. A dark fantasy that involves a revenant, set in medieval times. I've been searching the web for beliefs regarding revenants, but haven't come across anything yet. Therefore, I have a few questions...

1. Are revenants tied too closely to vampires for me to ever be able to separate them, and make my revenant something completely different? I don't know enough about the mythos to know...
2. "Eric Draven" from The Crow was technically a revenant. If I write a story where the main character is a revenant, will people say, "Puh-shaw...this is fanfic, set in medieval times!" I don't want that.
3. Are there any paper-and-ink books with revenant myths explained that you could recommend, or any websites that might be helpful?

I haven't actually started this story yet. I'm in the "research" phase of the process, trying to discern if it's feasable. Any help you could give me would be much appreciated.

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
To answer questions 1 and 2, I think it would really depend on how you plot the story. Honestly, when I see the word "revenant" my mind automatically thinks vampires and The Crow and creepy but sexy gals with black eyeliner.

HConn

Whore for genre
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.harryjconnolly.com
Funk and Wagnalls Standard Dictionary of Folklore Mythology and Legend has a long entry for revenants, with lots of cross-refs. It's too long to retype, anyway. Check your local library.

I say just write the story and let someone else worry about whether it's too close to something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.