PDA

View Full Version : AW slowdown

Medievalist
01-10-2011, 01:33 AM
Our host is moving servers and changing DNS, which is affecting AW.

It's a bit like someone moving, but not leaving a forwarding address.

There's not a lot we can do about it, but I know it's very frustrating.

In the meantime, I've opened up Written in Stone, the AW test forum.

Y'all are welcome to go there, and post.

http://www.macallisterstone.com/forums/

If you haven't registered, you might want to register using your AW handle, so we won't assume you're a spammer.

I opened up registrations about half an hour ago, and have already deleted 15 spam accounts. That means I'm hand approving accounts.

If you're desperate for access, you can email me at medievalist AT mac.com, but please do be patient. I'm pretty much running as fast as I can.

SaraP
01-10-2011, 04:37 AM
It's been working ok for me for a while now, but I have a couple of folks in chat who are still having trouble.

I know you're pretty busy at the moment, but do you have any suggestions for them? We've tried clearing caché/cookies, which was the only thing that occurred to me.

alleycat
01-10-2011, 04:41 AM
If you need a "spam killer" on WiS, let me know. I think I'm still a Super Mod there, although I don't get spam warming messages anymore.

mccardey
01-10-2011, 04:43 AM
Thanks a lot for the fix, Medi - it's working well here, now :)

amyashley
01-10-2011, 04:49 AM
Much better! Yay Medievalist!

Medievalist
01-10-2011, 05:27 AM
Actually, no it's not working any better.

What you're seeing is DNS propagation--as the new DNS is picked up by your various ISPs.

Unfortunately, it's going to be cloudy for a few days more. The best advice I have is to follow the @absolutewrite Twitter Feed (http://twitter.com/absolutewrite), and create an account on Written In Stone (http://www.macallisterstone.com/forums/).

Hang in there folks; we haven't forgotten you.

mccardey
01-10-2011, 05:55 AM
Oh. Well it seems perfectly fine. But then technology and I have a kind of Understanding. We just don't question each other.

rhymegirl
01-10-2011, 06:03 AM
No, it is slow. I think I might have to wander over to the other site.

whimsical rabbit
01-10-2011, 02:56 PM
I tried to register but got a message saying registration has been deactivated by an admit. :(

seun
01-10-2011, 05:11 PM
I thought it was my computer being crap. Glad it's not. :)

CaoPaux
01-10-2011, 07:46 PM
Likewise. Worse, I was about to give hubby The Look for messing with the router again.

MaryMumsy
01-10-2011, 08:35 PM
I thought it was my computer being crap. Glad it's not. :)

That's my usual reaction. And I'm usually right :D

MM

Medievalist
01-10-2011, 09:30 PM
I tried to register but got a message saying registration has been deactivated by an admit. :(

I had to turn registration off over night; in the ten minutes after I turned it on this am I got your registration, and fifteen would-be spammers.

Please do email me medievalist AT mac.com if you're stuck.

regdog
01-10-2011, 09:50 PM
I thought it was my crappy Verizon. I'm at WIS now. AW is slow as tar again :(

jvc
01-10-2011, 10:48 PM
I'm at WiS at moment, and the chat room is open if anyone wants to pop in there.

scarletpeaches
01-10-2011, 10:51 PM
I would like to offer Absolute Write my sincere apologies.

This afternoon I was served with a writ detailing my culpability in the slowdown, for which Mac is suing my shiny white hiney.

Apparently the sheer weight of my ossum is causing the lag, and I am now legally obliged to stop being so fantastic.

amyashley
01-11-2011, 12:16 AM
I had a feeling it was sumthin' to do with you. Yer eevil SP!