PDA

View Full Version : Movie theaters trying to spruce up and lure back in customers.

LOG
01-09-2011, 10:40 PM
Mainly with more food, better seating and better atmosphere. (http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/111755/double-feature-dinner-and-a-movie)

Under pressure from viewers as well as movie-industry executives, the country's theater chains are trying to win back moviegoersówith food. Audiences at a growing number of theaters can order such dishes as chinois chicken salad rolls or limoncello-tossed shrimp. More middle-of-the-road fare is also available, like cheeseburgers and chicken caesar salads. Seats in these so-called "in-theater dining" cinemas are big and plush. Lobbies are luxurious, with art on the walls and mood lighting. Popcorn is often complimentary and a full bar is de rigueur.

Theater chains hope the new style of film-watchingówhich has previously been the realm chiefly of small independent theatersówill help boost the number of moviegoers after years of flat attendance. Other recent efforts to get more people in the doors include offering reserve seating online and more movies in 3D. But in-theater dining represents one of the movie-theater industry's biggest bets to expand its static audience size.

I don't think it's gonna work. I think theaters are a dying breed, they're not going to disappear overnight, but I think they are slowly slipping away.

childeroland
01-10-2011, 06:21 AM
How about luring back people by lowering the ticket prices?

Kitty Pryde
01-10-2011, 06:34 AM
Yeah, $14 for a matinee, and I have to put the butter on the popcorn myself? Pass. These days if it's not playing at the little $5 1-plex up the road, or promising to be the most amazing limited-release speshul indie film known to mankind evar, I can't be bothered to pay to go to the movies.

Consider that a paperback novel costs $8, and gives me around 8 or 10 hours of enjoyment (more if i reread later! even more shared enjoyment if I loan it out! and more future enjoyment if I sell it to a used bookstore!), whereas a movie costs $14+ and only entertains me for 2.5 hours max. And you know my imagination is a cooler place than anything on a screen, however 3D and computer-generated and high-def and explosion-ridden.

poetinahat
01-10-2011, 06:44 AM
I really like the in-theater dining thing. Huge lounge seats with tables between, and you can order the courses to be brought in when you want.

It's not the budget option, but it's not meant to be; it's a night out. I think it's a winner.

darkprincealain
01-10-2011, 06:53 AM
I think it's a huge loser until they lower ticket prices. Sorry, I've been to one of these things a bunch of times, and it can make even awful movies fun. But I can't afford to do it anymore. Not even as a special occasion thing. It's irresponsible in a recession.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
01-10-2011, 07:12 AM
I think it's a huge loser until they lower ticket prices. Sorry, I've been to one of these things a bunch of times, and it can make even awful movies fun. But I can't afford to do it anymore. Not even as a special occasion thing. It's irresponsible in a recession.And they are relegating themselves to special event status. How is that going to increase traffic? If anything, it is guaranteed to decrease traffic.

I'm old enough to remember when going to the movies could be a completely spontaneous event. Those days are definitely gone. Now it requires planning and often a second mortgage.

Satori1977
01-10-2011, 08:01 AM
I don't think food has anything to do with it. I love going to a movie theater and seeing amazing movies on that big screen. But the prices are too much, for tickets, and especially for the food. It is ridiculous.

Add that to rude moviegoers (I have seen people talking, phones ringing, throwing popcorn, kicking seats, shooting spitballs, and practically having sex - and never have I seen one of them get kicked out), and it just isn't as fun as it could be. Not for the price they demand.

CACTUSWENDY
01-10-2011, 08:08 AM
I agree about the ticket prices, they just way too high. I can rent a movie for a buck, sit in my own over stuffed chair, and eat all the buttered popcorn I want.

I don't know how the young ones can even do a movie on a date unless mom and dad are well off.

poetinahat
01-10-2011, 08:12 AM
Eh, I'm more put off by $200 for a rock concert ticket than $15 for a movie.

maestrowork
01-10-2011, 08:23 AM

They do. I just went to a Saturday matinee and it was only $5, and it's digital projection with 3D. So the theatre is really nice, and the screen is big, and it's only $5.

Theatres aren't stupid. They know they have to compete with DVDs, Netflix, iTunes, Hulu and piracy. They also know most people don't get the same quality of digital sounds, 3D, etc. at their homes, and there's that "first to see" aspects of great movies such as Inception or Toy Story 3, so there are still great reasons to go to the theater. Some theatres are doing the right thing: lowering their ticket prices (at least the matinees), lowering their concession prices, increasing the variety of concession food (that theatre I went to has ice cream, hot dogs, kettle corn, Vitamin Water, cookies, pies, chocolate, candy, etc... and they are BUSY).

LOG
01-10-2011, 09:00 AM
Maybe if I stopped seeing black flickers on every movie screen I view...

That one you go to sounds nice maestro.

maestrowork
01-10-2011, 09:07 AM
Maybe if I stopped seeing black flickers on every movie screen I view...

That one you go to sounds nice maestro.

There are no black flickers on digital projection screens. ;)

I kind of do miss that blink-blink dot in the upper right corner when they change film reels, though. Ah, nostalgia.

Jstwatchin
01-10-2011, 09:35 AM

This. Exactly.

(And if a small popcorn no longer costs $7 I might even buy some of that too.)

Christine N.
01-10-2011, 02:54 PM
Yeah, I can no longer afford the movies. For $9 a month I get one DVD at a time and all the movies and TV I can stream into my own house or on my computer. Not that I don't WANT to go see the new Harry Potter (still haven't) or whatever, but it's just too expensive. Especially with gas prices going up too.

Rose de Guzman
01-10-2011, 03:10 PM
Meh, I feel icky eating in the dark, and I'd rather just watch the film anyhow. Personally, I've always thought eating during the show was odd.

I'd really like cleaner theaters, to be honest. I've been in several that are just gross, but there's always people standing around with brooms. There's one discount theater here that is DISGUSTING. I don't want to know what substance makes my shoes stick to the ground. But I would be willing to pay $3 instead of $1 so they could hire more people to make it less gross.

LOG
01-10-2011, 05:27 PM
There are no black flickers on digital projection screens. ;)

I kind of do miss that blink-blink dot in the upper right corner when they change film reels, though. Ah, nostalgia.
Apparently we don't have those at the theaters I go to, because I'm still seeing those dots...

Maryn
01-10-2011, 10:16 PM
Movie theatres need to do a lot to get my business back, and not everything is in their control.
Lower ticket prices, especially for matinees and poorest-attended evening shows. A discounted ticket makes more money than an empty seat.
Lose the advertising. If I wanted to see ads, I'd stay home and watch TV.
Move your box office so people standing in long lines for tickets are not standing in whatever the weather's doing. This was an issue in Arizona's heat and is now an issue in winter's wrath. Some new-ish theatres have addressed this.
Upgrade the seating in terms of comfort and space. I'm a big woman--not huge, but at the larger end of the adult sizes--and there are two theatres in my city in which the seats are so narrow I have to wriggle to get into them. In one, the same is true of the bathroom stalls. Is saving 3 or 4 inches per seat (or stall) worth the loss of my business because every time I see a movie there, I leave hating myself? Now, I simply will not go there.
Find the balance which allows everyone a decent view without climbing the Matterhorn to reach a seat. I don't go to the old theatre where I can't see over someone only an inch or two taller than me.
Incorporate seating for special needs patrons.
Deal with patrons who are noisy. No, asking them to be courteous and quiet before the movie begins is not sufficient. Consider the reintroduction of the glassed-in, soundproof crying room of yore, where parents could view the movie with their fussy baby without disturbing others. Now, people who can't shut the fuck up can be placed there. Please.
Maryn, who often leaves the movies fairly riled

AlexPiper
01-10-2011, 10:30 PM
(And if a small popcorn no longer costs $7 I might even buy some of that too.)

It would also be nice if they used a definition of 'small' that had any degree of relevance to actual humans.

"I'd like a small Coke please."
"Here you go. That'll be $7."
"Uh... this is like 42oz of soda. If I drink this, I'll exit the theater with type II diabetes!"
"Well, you said you wanted a small."
"Right."
"That is a small."
"Seriously? If this is a small, then what the hell is a large?"
"Well, our extra-large drink is the size of the extra-large popcorn bucket. It holds 320oz of soda."

I will still go see movies, sometimes, but a lot less often than I used to. We have a big-screen TV and surround sound here at home, and I can rent Blu-Ray or pick up HD videos from iTunes (on the Apple TV) or Amazon Video on Demand (on the TiVo), or the Zune Video Marketplace (on the Xbox 360). Plus, I can eat whatever I want, recline on our nice couch, and even have a fire in the fireplace and the corgi cuddled up on my lap. And if I need to go to the bathroom? I CAN PAUSE THE MOVIE.

That makes it a lot more fun than going and being packed into small seats. So mostly the movies worth going and seeing in the theater are the ones where it's an Event, and you want to see it before others spoil the movie for you.

Jess Haines
01-11-2011, 12:58 AM
$14? I paid $16 to see Tangled on Saturday. Then another $20 on a soda, a water, and popcorn.

Though Tangled was freakin' adorable and I'm glad that I saw it, that little outing reminded me why I never go to the movie theaters anymore.

Ink-Pen-Paper
01-11-2011, 01:03 AM
Lower price
Lower sound level

darkprincealain
01-11-2011, 03:42 AM
It would also be nice if they used a definition of 'small' that had any degree of relevance to actual humans.

"Uh... this is like 42oz of soda. If I drink this, I'll exit the theater with type II diabetes!"
"Right."
"That is a small."
"Well, our extra-large drink is the size of the extra-large popcorn bucket. It holds 320oz of soda."

Thank you. When I ask for a small, I don't intend to carry a cup that in earlier years, used to be a large. I find it suspicious that you can't get 12 or 16 ounces of soda in any of the theatres near here, except for maybe the indie movie house. I wonder what parents of small children do. Order a diet and split it with their kid?

ChaosTitan
01-11-2011, 03:50 AM
Sadly, the bulk of money that a theater makes is from concession sales, not from ticket sales.

I went to the theater this weekend because I really wanted to see Black Swan. The food and ticket prices didn't really bother me, because I hit the theater so rarely; I was treating myself. The thing I hate about going to the theater is exactly what happened this weekend--two teenagers whispering and giggling behind me during the entire damn movie.

Rude patrons are what keeps me away.

Grrarrgh
01-11-2011, 07:48 PM
I'm another one that stays away because of the rudeness of other people. There's a theater here that does the same kind of $5 matinee deal that Maestro mentioned, but the last time I went there for it, I had to deal with a crying 6-year old (at a horror movie), a teenager behind me loudly complaining to her mother that this was "like, so totally stupid. What kind of dumbass would go in there?" in a normal conversation voice, and 3 ringing cell phones that were answered, also in normal conversation voices. Until theaters do a better job of making sure people can actually enjoy the movie they've paid to see, I won't go more than once or twice a year, no matter what the ticket prices are.

AdamH
01-11-2011, 08:11 PM
Lowering the ticket prices would do it for me. When a price for a movie is rivalling the price for a good piece of actual theater (at least in my city), I'd rather go to the theater.

I see that unless there's a turn around that movie theaters will go the way of the drive-ins. It'll become a novelty from an older time.

Besides, the ease of accessing and downloading movies online (both legally and illegally) is what's going to lead to the true demise of movie theaters. Especially since you can connect a laptop to any entertainment system which are sometimes as good as the movie theatre and you're in the comfort of your own home.

Jcomp
01-11-2011, 08:26 PM
Theaters are doing pretty well though. Attendance is down compared to decades ago, but that goes for virtually everything these days. Attendance at sporting events, attendance at theme parks, etc. There are simply more options for the consumer's dollar. Slices of the pie have been divided in ways that will never be undone. That said, this past year's ticket income is virtually identical to 2009's, and 2009's was up 10% on 2008. The last year that saw a significant dip in gross theater income was 2005, which was pre-recession. So basically, in a generally bad economy, theater revenues are increasing. The idea that theaters have to "lure" anyone back is sort of silly. What they're trying to do is what every business tries to do: increase profits instead of remaining stagnant.

The main thing hurting theater attendance is basically a lack of films people want to shell out dough to see. Whether you like them or not, the likes of Avatar, The Dark Knight and the Twilight flicks have shown that people are more than willing to go to the theater to check out movies that are well marketed and look attractive to them. When you open the year with a terrible Fockers sequel that can't even hold off a Cohen brothers flick (great guys, but they don't make commercial movies) for the number one box office spot, then it's easy for people to say in the immediate moment, "Uh oh, theaters are in trouble."

Theaters are doing well and won't be going anywhere anytime soon...

Gravity
01-11-2011, 08:28 PM
Sadly, the bulk of money that a theater makes is from concession sales, not from ticket sales.

I went to the theater this weekend because I really wanted to see Black Swan. The food and ticket prices didn't really bother me, because I hit the theater so rarely; I was treating myself. The thing I hate about going to the theater is exactly what happened this weekend--two teenagers whispering and giggling behind me during the entire damn movie.

Rude patrons are what keeps me away.

^^^THIS

I was a film minor in college, VP of our campus film club, and helped get in speakers like Vincent Price for our outings. In other words, I'm a flim nut, and have been since I saw Tarantula at age five and I peed myself.

That said, several years ago my wife and decided to never go to the theater again. Why should we? We have an excellent home system, Blu-Rays are cheap to rent (or buy, if they're very good), and we can make our own snacks. Plus we can set the sound and picture any old way we choose, and pause the thing should nature call.

Contrast that with ticket and concession prices approaching usury rates, bad seating, and idiotic patrons who will simply will not STFU, and for us it was a no-brainer.

Lyra Jean
01-11-2011, 08:31 PM
My husband and I go to the 10 am matinee. It's about $6.00 a ticket and last time we went on Christmas Day. It was our Christmas present to ourselves. Hardly anyone was there. It was pretty much the same when we went on a non-holiday day. We watched the movie "True Grit" it was awesome.

Jcomp
01-11-2011, 08:36 PM
One of the things about the "newer" style of theaters is that they're increasingly becoming more active in getting people to shut the hell up. The only theaters I go to now in my city are the Drafthouse or the new mega-plex "Palladium" with a big, beautiful bar and restaurant upstairs. I love it. Maybe I'm part of a "dying" breed, though based on the stats I referenced earlier I doubt it, but I love the theater experience.

maestrowork
01-11-2011, 11:02 PM
Now that ticket and concession prices are high, I am very choosy when it comes to theaters. I still prefer watching films at theaters -- surround sounds, digital projection, 3D, large screen, etc. but not just another theater. Fortunately, I have at least two theaters in my neighborhood I can go to. They're reasonably priced and the screens and sound systems are great. That's what it's about. If the theater is not up to par, I'd rather just stay home unless it's something I really must see RIGHT NOW (such as Black Swan).

GRXD3000
01-12-2011, 01:49 AM
The only reason I go to a theater is if someone else is paying (I don't care who it is) or if it's a 3D movie. Otherwise, I can't be assed to bother going to something so ridiculous when I can get better resolution right in my bedroom (1080p up to 2400x2400).

maestrowork
01-12-2011, 01:54 AM
when I can get better resolution right in my bedroom (1080p up to 2400x2400).

Except your TV isn't 50' wide. :) I like my movies larger than life. Even a 50-inc HDTV isn't quite enough.

GRXD3000
01-12-2011, 02:26 AM
Except your TV isn't 50' wide. :) I like my movies larger than life. Even a 50-inc HDTV isn't quite enough.

No, but my setup beats the hell out of any theater since I also have 7.1 channels with my G930 USB/Wireless headset (which work exceptionally well compared to anything else out there with 7.1 channel support) and can just stop watching a movie whenever I want (or just play something on my other screen).

Rose de Guzman
01-15-2011, 06:35 PM

"Right."
"That is a small."

Not to mention the fact that when you give the patrons that much freakin' liquid, they have to go to the restroom mid-film. And the one's who have to use the bathroom are always the tall ones or the ones with young kids -- and always the ones sitting in front of me.

maestrowork
01-15-2011, 06:56 PM
^^^THIS

I was a film minor in college, VP of our campus film club, and helped get in speakers like Vincent Price for our outings. In other words, I'm a flim nut, and have been since I saw Tarantula at age five and I peed myself.

That said, several years ago my wife and decided to never go to the theater again. Why should we? We have an excellent home system, Blu-Rays are cheap to rent (or buy, if they're very good), and we can make our own snacks. Plus we can set the sound and picture any old way we choose, and pause the thing should nature call.

Contrast that with ticket and concession prices approaching usury rates, bad seating, and idiotic patrons who will simply will not STFU, and for us it was a no-brainer.

I'm different. Ever since my parents took me to my first movie, I love theaters. The bigger the better. I like to get out of the house, go somewhere, be with 200 other like minded people. There's nothing quite like opening night at a packed theater. One of the best experience I had was going to a midnight showing of South Park at a theater packed with college kids. I also remember being amused coming out of Black Swan to see the stunned looks on others' faces. These are the things that make theaters great. I cant replicate that in my own home, unless I invite a whole bunch of friends over. I still wont get a chance to get out of my house.

I love movie+dinner dates. I mean, why do people go out to eat if they can just stay home? It's the same idea. Some people love working at home. I can't stand it. I need to get out.

That's why the movie Cinema Paradiso touched me so because that was the way I grew up with movies. A community of strangers who love movies. To me, when people stay home and shun the theaters, it is a sad thing. It is isolationism. I miss the grand movie parlors and am glad the IMAX and big theaters are back in fashion now. I can see a matinee for $5 -- that's not so bad.

What it also means is that movies have to be bigger than life and out of body experiences again. That's why big movies on IMAX are hot now. I don't mind staying home and watch a small intimate drama, but I need to see films like Avatar or Inception on the big screen. And NOW, not 6 months later when it goes to DVD.

maestrowork
01-15-2011, 07:00 PM
No, but my setup beats the hell out of any theater since I also have 7.1 channels with my G930 USB/Wireless headset (which work exceptionally well compared to anything else out there with 7.1 channel support) and can just stop watching a movie whenever I want (or just play something on my other screen).

And rob yourself of a truly immersive movie experience? :). I have surround sound and a 62" HDTV at home and I still prefer the digital screens and 1000W sound system at my favorite theaters. Not to mention I cant enjoy first run movies at home - that's part of the thrill for me, to see something before most people do.

Satori1977
01-15-2011, 10:08 PM
I'm different. Ever since my parents took me to my first movie, I love theaters. The bigger the better. I like to get out of the house, go somewhere, be with 200 other like minded people. There's nothing quite like opening night at a packed theater. One of the best experience I had was going to a midnight showing of South Park at a theater packed with college kids. I also remember being amused coming out of Black Swan to see the stunned looks on others' faces. These are the things that make theaters great. I cant replicate that in my own home, unless I invite a whole bunch of friends over. I still wont get a chance to get out of my house.

I love movie+dinner dates. I mean, why do people go out to eat if they can just stay home? It's the same idea. Some people love working at home. I can't stand it. I need to get out.

That's why the movie Cinema Paradiso touched me so because that was the way I grew up with movies. A community of strangers who love movies. To me, when people stay home and shun the theaters, it is a sad thing. It is isolationism. I miss the grand movie parlors and am glad the IMAX and big theaters are back in fashion now. I can see a matinee for $5 -- that's not so bad.

What it also means is that movies have to be bigger than life and out of body experiences again. That's why big movies on IMAX are hot now. I don't mind staying home and watch a small intimate drama, but I need to see films like Avatar or Inception on the big screen. And NOW, not 6 months later when it goes to DVD.

I do agree with the last part. Certain movies need to be experienced, not just watched on your tv at home. I don't see many movies in the theatres, but I had to see HP on the big screen, and it came out around my birthday. The last HP I will see in theatres as well. Avatar also was amazing on the big screen.

But a low-brow comedy or chick flick. No thanks. I will wait until it comes out on DVD.

The Resurrectionist
01-17-2011, 01:29 PM
The ticket prices are (sort of) understandable. (Is piracy driving some of them up?)

The problems are:

-Ridiculous concession prices
-Dirty theaters
-Cell-yappy patrons (every cell phone in the world could self-destruct and I'd love it)
-Parents who think it's perfectly okay to bring their 2-year-olds to a 10 pm showing of an R-rated horror film, and then yell at the kids when they start crying like any kid of that age would in that situation. Please get a sitter, or else wait till the movie comes out on DVD and the kid's asleep.

On the other hand, I go see a theater movie maybe once a year, so lousy ones aren't a big deal to me.

Celia Cyanide
01-17-2011, 07:10 PM
Mainly with more food, better seating and better atmosphere. (http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/111755/double-feature-dinner-and-a-movie)

I don't think it's gonna work. I think theaters are a dying breed, they're not going to disappear overnight, but I think they are slowly slipping away.

I really don't think so. Video stores may be disappearing, but I think people like going to the movies for a night out. I love it. I think this is a great idea, actually. We used to have a second run theater in our neighborhood called Cinema Cafe. It was great, except that it was a second run theater. I loved going there and eating while I watched a movie. They even had tables. My only problem was the quality. If I could see it at a first run theater with good sound and picture quality, I would love that.

I am just broke. I do what I can to get invited to test screenings, just because I love going to the movies, but I can't afford it.

Celia Cyanide
01-17-2011, 07:13 PM
The ticket prices are (sort of) understandable. (Is piracy driving some of them up?)

The problems are:

-Ridiculous concession prices
-Dirty theaters
-Cell-yappy patrons (every cell phone in the world could self-destruct and I'd love it)
-Parents who think it's perfectly okay to bring their 2-year-olds to a 10 pm showing of an R-rated horror film, and then yell at the kids when they start crying like any kid of that age would in that situation. Please get a sitter, or else wait till the movie comes out on DVD and the kid's asleep.

On the other hand, I go see a theater movie maybe once a year, so lousy ones aren't a big deal to me.

I also hate people talking. I go to the theater sometimes and people will not shut up, and the people who work at the theater will not pay attention and will not remove people who will not shut up. It does make me not want to go out. But this is why I like test screenings because the security is so good. They have to watch everyone to make sure they aren't pirating, and so people are usually not talking.

I don't understand why anyone would pay that much money for a film just to have a conversation with the guy next to them.

Cranky
01-17-2011, 07:33 PM

Our 72" HD does fantastically. (Yes, we pretty much literally have no other social life and no other expensive toys beyond gaming systems and our computer, hence the billboard sized TV) :D That said, there is still something to be said for the theater experience. If you have a theater where the patrons aren't rude and the place is clean, even the high ticket and concession prices aren't enough to keep me out if it's a movie I really want to see.

Babysitters, on the other hand, do. *sigh* I am dying to see True Grit, but I'll probably have to wait until it comes out on DVD.

Stlight
01-19-2011, 10:36 AM
I love the odd timed showings, the ones when the place is almost empty. There are usually 3 maybe 5 of us at those showings. After awhile we recognized each other for nodding, not talking. The prices at those times were low. They didn't even start the popcorn machine for the show. There were snacks available, candy and the like, but we didn't buy anything.

The theatres were small, clean, thread worn, but not bare seats, nothing special and yet they were.

Those are the movies I remember best and the times were my favorites. Classic J. McDonald and Nelson Eddy opperettas, Young Sherlock Holmes, The Ipcress File, nothing big, just wonderful. The only time a crowd worked well for me, was the midnight Rocky Horror Show with water pistols, tp, rice and everyone singing along.

maestrowork
01-19-2011, 08:57 PM
I also like indie theaters. They're usually smaller, clean, and the concessions are much cheaper. Also, they show small, indie movies which are always a treat. I hate having to wait a year before those movies come out (and sometimes they don't come for lack of distributors). For example, I saw MOON at the theater and it's great. In fact, I went back and saw it a second time. That was like months and months before it went to DVD.

Dodge
01-20-2011, 02:05 AM
I think movie theaters will take a hit similar to how the video game arcade took a hit once all the home video game systems became popular in the 80's and the 90's. The original is great. But the new technology makes it so less revenue will roll into all of the movie theaters that currently exist. They may eventually become a novelty but they won't go completely extinct. And we all know the prices will go up for tickets.

maestrowork
01-20-2011, 03:09 AM
I think movie theaters will take a hit similar to how the video game arcade took a hit once all the home video game systems became popular in the 80's and the 90's. The original is great. But the new technology makes it so less revenue will roll into all of the movie theaters that currently exist. They may eventually become a novelty but they won't go completely extinct. And we all know the prices will go up for tickets.

They said the same thing when VCR and DVD players came about 20 and 10 years ago. But movie theaters are doing fine.... gone are the small multiplexes. Now people want big pictures and big sounds and nice seats. That's why IMAX is doing so well right now. And 3D. Right now, you can't watch 3D or IMAX at home.

Movies are made to be seen on the big screens. That hasn't really changed, even though people have the convenience of watching DVDs at home. Until everyone can afford a 60" HDTV, Blu-Ray and THX Surround sound systems, plus 3D technology, theaters are here to stay.

whacko
01-20-2011, 03:48 AM
You know, I think that more people would go to the movies... if something they wanted to watch was on.

My point?

I quite happily go to an independent theatre, the GFT, Cary Grant season on just now, to have a nice evening of entertainment.

The last times I've watched Oscar Winners and blockbusters - forget it. They're all horrible. No Country For Old Men springs to mind. Now I might be thicker than a whale omelette, but I thought it was just rubbish. So the remake of True Grit is unlikely to get me up queuing up.

Then again, I didn't like Star Wars.:D

And if you thought there was a point this, so did I. When I started.

Regards

Whacko

Shadow_Ferret
01-20-2011, 04:41 AM
We have a theater that has nice individual seating with tables and you can order food, drinks, etc. It's really very nice and the only theater I bother with.

And it amazes me how everyone complains about ticket prices. This theater is only $10. That isn't that much. Compare it to other entertainment. What would you pay for a baseball game, or basketball, or football? A concert. A real theater performance?

And 3D. Right now, you can't watch 3D ... at home.

Actually, Ray, you can. There are 3D Tvs on the market. I was looking at some last weekend. It was really cool. Out of my price range, yes, but cool nonetheless.

maestrowork
01-20-2011, 05:46 AM
And it amazes me how everyone complains about ticket prices. This theater is only $10. That isn't that much. Compare it to other entertainment. What would you pay for a baseball game, or basketball, or football? A concert. A real theater performance?

Exactly. It's funny how people complain about $10 movie tickets (less for matinee), but then pay $25 for a baseball game. I'd rather watch a movie than a baseball game...

BenPanced
01-20-2011, 05:56 AM
Bring theatres back into downtown and out of the malls. It's a PITA for me to get to go see a movie since a bus ride to the closet one is 30 to 45 minutes; opening a theatre downtown cuts that trip in half.

muddy_shoes
01-20-2011, 06:04 AM
I'll grant that the cinema experience at its best is a grade above home viewing but I gave up hunting for that experience about three moves ago. I got tired of discovering that my "big-screen view" was more "big-screen skewed" or that half the audience thought they were at a football match.

Frankts
01-20-2011, 06:49 AM
Deal with patrons who are noisy. No, asking them to be courteous and quiet before the movie begins is not sufficient. Consider the reintroduction of the glassed-in, soundproof crying room of yore, where parents could view the movie with their fussy baby without disturbing others. Now, people who can't shut the fuck up can be placed there. Please.

YES!

Dodge
01-20-2011, 07:09 AM
They said the same thing when VCR and DVD players came about 20 and 10 years ago. But movie theaters are doing fine.... gone are the small multiplexes. Now people want big pictures and big sounds and nice seats. That's why IMAX is doing so well right now. And 3D. Right now, you can't watch 3D or IMAX at home.

Movies are made to be seen on the big screens. That hasn't really changed, even though people have the convenience of watching DVDs at home. Until everyone can afford a 60" HDTV, Blu-Ray and THX Surround sound systems, plus 3D technology, theaters are here to stay.

My point exactly, "They may eventually become a novelty but they won't go completely extinct."

IMAX will be the main cash cow (eventually) IMO. But the current number of movie theaters overall will shrink.

PattiTheWicked
01-20-2011, 07:20 AM
I'm one of those people who enjoys movies but rarely goes to the theater. Usually I get to the movies about three or fourtimes a year, and it has to be for something I'm really looking forward to. Saw "True Grit" the other night, and it was amazing, but before that, the last thing I saw in a theater was Harry Potter, when it came out back in November.

There are a couple of reasons for this. One, the price. No, I don't mind spending $9 on a movie ticket... but when I have to buy two of them plus pay for a babysitter plus pay $12 for a tub of bad popcorn and a giant Coke, then it adds up. If I'm taking the kids to a film, I buy three of the $1 candy boxes at the grocery store and stuff a water bottle in my purse, and then we make sure we eat a meal beforehand.

Second, I don't like sitting in a room with 200 people who can't shut up, in a seat that isn't adjustable, with a floor that makes weird sticky sounds when you move your shoes. It's just not that thrilling of an experience for me.

Finally, there's just not that much I want to see right now. I mean, seriously, how many more freakin' Ashton Kutcher Katherine Heigl Jennifer Aniston Gerard Butler lame-ass romcoms need to be made? If I'm watching on a giant theater size screen, I want special effects, explosions, and CGI that makes my head spin, because anything less, I can watch on DVD in my living room.

For me, going to the movies needs to be special. If I thought I could have a sit-down dinner and watch a film I really wanted to see with people who behaved themselves, I'd happily pay whatever they were asking.

maestrowork
01-20-2011, 07:29 AM
Second, I don't like sitting in a room with 200 people who can't shut up, in a seat that isn't adjustable, with a floor that makes weird sticky sounds when you move your shoes. It's just not that thrilling of an experience for me.

This comes up a lot in this thread. Personally, I go to the theater every week (I watch about 120 films a year at the theater), and I can say that only happened to me, like, twice in the past year. Often people are just quiet. I was at a PACKED theater with kids at a showing of Tangled, and also Toy Story 3, and not a sound. Same thing at Harry Potter. The noisiest showing I went to was Atonement a few years back -- because people were sobbing around me.

Maybe it's just the theater you go to. My theaters are all clean, comfortable, and quiet. No sticky floors or noisy people. It does make a big difference (I can't stand people who talk).

Rhubix
01-20-2011, 08:22 AM
Piracy is overblown, people will go to the theaters if something is worth watching.

Dr.Horrible's sing-along blog is the perfect example of why piracy is over blown. This movie was released free. It grossed approximately 2.5 million. Not too shabby for a free movie.
If they released it into theaters for a brief run I know I would go, and a lot of the people I know.

I'm not the type that has to go see movies in theaters. Maybe because I didn't see a theater until I got my first job. Who knows? But, if I think a movie is worth seeing I will go. Though, I always wait until the hype is dead and there are only 7 people in the showing.

BenPanced
01-20-2011, 08:57 AM
Dr.Horrible's sing-along blog is the perfect example of why piracy is over blown. This movie was released free. It grossed approximately 2.5 million. Not too shabby for a free movie.
If they released it into theaters for a brief run I know I would go, and a lot of the people I know.
2.5 million what? If it was released for free, there's no way it could have grossed anything. Are you talking 2.5 million hits on YouTube? If so, that's not grossing; that's amassing hits.

Finally, there's just not that much I want to see right now. I mean, seriously, how many more freakin' Ashton Kutcher Katherine Heigl Jennifer Aniston Gerard Butler lame-ass romcoms need to be made? If I'm watching on a giant theater size screen, I want special effects, explosions, and CGI that makes my head spin, because anything less, I can watch on DVD in my living room.
Same here. The last movie I saw was Tangled, over Thanksgiving weekend with my family (had a ride, so I didn't care about how far away the theatre was). Before that was the re-restoration of Metropolis (PITA to get there but it's my favorite movie of all time and I had to see it in a theatre). Before that? Erm...uh...Harry Potter and The Third or Fourth One of The Series, I think?

Dodge
01-20-2011, 11:09 PM
This comes up a lot in this thread. Personally, I go to the theater every week (I watch about 120 films a year at the theater), and I can say that only happened to me, like, twice in the past year. Often people are just quiet. I was at a PACKED theater with kids at a showing of Tangled, and also Toy Story 3, and not a sound. Same thing at Harry Potter. The noisiest showing I went to was Atonement a few years back -- because people were sobbing around me.

Maybe it's just the theater you go to. My theaters are all clean, comfortable, and quiet. No sticky floors or noisy people. It does make a big different (I can't stay people who talk).

It can also make a big difference when you go to the theater. If you go to matinees it can be a mellow experience (and usually is). But if you go at night, especially on a Friday or Saturday night, it can be like going to a sporting event (brawls included). Theaters can be quite exciting when age groups of all sorts are clamoring for seats and snacks.

Jcomp
01-21-2011, 12:49 AM
2.5 million what? If it was released for free, there's no way it could have grossed anything. Are you talking 2.5 million hits on YouTube? If so, that's not grossing; that's amassing hits.

It was initially released free to view online through the official website, then a DVD / Blu-ray was released, which apparently sold well (I can't confirm exact figures, but by most accounts pre-orders were great and they made back the budget +) despite their being plenty of opportunity for piracy based on the initial release.

Jcomp
01-21-2011, 12:54 AM
Maybe it's just the theater you go to. My theaters are all clean, comfortable, and quiet. No sticky floors or noisy people. It does make a big different (I can't stay people who talk).

Same here. The theaters I go to tend to have quiet patrons and a clean environment. I think sometimes living in a city, even one that's a low-key baby metropolitan like San Antonio, can spoil a guy. Because the whole "theaters that serve food and have a working bar, etc." has been around here for a good 7 years already. We have at least 5 such theaters to choose from. Great environment, generally quiet customers, staff that's instructed to check in and be sure no one's being disruptive and complaints are promptly addressed. I just went the other night and it was great.

Rhubix
01-21-2011, 01:00 AM

Same here. The last movie I saw was Tangled, over Thanksgiving weekend with my family (had a ride, so I didn't care about how far away the theatre was). Before that was the re-restoration of Metropolis (PITA to get there but it's my favorite movie of all time and I had to see it in a theatre). Before that? Erm...uh...Harry Potter and The Third or Fourth One of The Series, I think?

2.5 million American dollars. They sold dvd's and downloads on Itunes.
They released it free, and people still bought it- that's the point I'm making here.
Beyond dvd sales they've also sold soundtracks and songs on itunes. You can get t-shirts and other swag, there's even an 8 bit video game.

The specific numbers weren't released but the guesstimates range from 2.5 million to 4-5 million, so I went with the conservative numbers.

adarkfox
01-21-2011, 06:52 AM
I rarely get to the theater anymore due to cost.. but the theater closest to my abode changed ownership and I noticed the new prices (higher) and new concessions (more options).

Going to a movie is certainly a "treat" because it's so expensive... hence like when I saw Tangled we all stop at the gas station across from the theater that conveniently sells movie-sized candies, and load up. I figure my little group smuggling in all our pop and treats makes up for the obnoxious ticket price.

I love the midwest in the winter-layers to stow stuff! Once we smuggled in nachos. Mmmmm.

PattiTheWicked
01-21-2011, 06:58 AM
Hahaha! We sometimes go to Chipotle, get a couple of really big burritos, and I tuck them inside my coat. They keep me warm, plus we have a tasty meal during the movie.

Shadow_Ferret
01-21-2011, 07:03 AM
This comes up a lot in this thread. Personally, I go to the theater every week (I watch about 120 films a year at the theater), and I can say that only happened to me, like, twice in the past year. Often people are just quiet.

Maybe it's just the theater you go to. My theaters are all clean, comfortable, and quiet. No sticky floors or noisy people. It does make a big difference (I can't stand people who talk).

Yeah, I've never really run into these annoying people others talk of. Most of the audiences I've seen movies with have been fairly well behaved. And that's for both adult films and child films.
It can also make a big difference when you go to the theater. If you go to matinees it can be a mellow experience (and usually is). But if you go at night, especially on a Friday or Saturday night, it can be like going to a sporting event (brawls included). Theaters can be quite exciting when age groups of all sorts are clamoring for seats and snacks.
Wow. Really? No. Never. Friday and Saturday nights are as behaved as any other time. Those sorts of people are in the bars.

maestrowork
01-22-2011, 03:39 AM
It depends on where you are, I guess... Once I went to a theater in midtown Manhattan, near Time Square. WORST. EXPERIENCE. EVER. It must be bar night or something. The management also refused to do anything. I got a refund and left. Never went back.

Jamesaritchie
01-22-2011, 03:42 AM
I have no complaints abut ticket prices. It's snack and food prices that keep people away here.

nighttimer
01-22-2011, 09:48 AM
Eh, I'm more put off by $200 for a rock concert ticket than $15 for a movie.

True that. I would love to see Sade live this year even if I don't love her last album all that much, but there's no way I'm spending $200 or more for any show. This is why I like jazz. Smaller venues, affordable tickets and you can hear and see the band.

I still enjoy the theater experience over watching it at home. 95% of movies look perfectly fine on a hi-def televising, but I knew I wanted to see Inception on a big honkin' movie screen. No, I don't need to deal with the craptacularly awful AMC theaters to fully experience the cinematic splendor that is Little Fockers, but for something like the first 45 minutes of Saving Private Ryan? Oh, hell yeah!

There are some very nice theaters in my town where people watch the movie and don't run their freaking' mouths all the way through it. I'm not shy about telling someone to STFU so I can hear the movie or to please tell their dear little tyke of a child to stop kicking my friggin' chair or I'm gonna break his little legs and stick 'em somewhere its gonna be real painful and costly to pull them out of.

Now the $13 we plunked down a large popcorn and a Sprite last week? That was ridiculous. :Wha:

maestrowork
01-22-2011, 10:04 AM
There's a $5 store right around the corner from the theater where I go... guess where I get my candy and pop?

mario_c
01-22-2011, 10:06 AM
Got AAA? Multiplex tix are $7.75, except when they stick you with the 3D fee which is $2. For Tron:Legacy IMAX and 3D it was $2.50, and that was the rudest most annoying crowd I'd dealt with in a very long time. And yes, we have $6 Tuesdays and $5 second run houses. It's a beautiful thing.
Now the boutique off-Hollywood theaters can get pricey because they don't have corporate partnerships to sell discount tickets. But you get the living room experience, a clean, comfortable screening room with a lounge and co-viewers who act like they're housebroken. A revival house near me offers memberships so I can get $6 tickets with a $60 per year membership. It pays for itself.
I love the theatrical experience. I'm part of a dying breed, I know, but sitting at my desk watching movies isn't the same, HD experience notwithstanding.

maestrowork
01-22-2011, 10:24 AM
I'm part of the dying breed, too. I don't know how kids today love to watch their movies on their little iPod Touches. It's not the same experience.

Shadow_Ferret
01-26-2011, 07:29 AM
That, I don't get at all. I can't imagine watching any majestic movie where the landscape is as much a part of the film as the people, something just gorgeous in VistaVision, on a tiny 3 inch screen.

katiemac
01-26-2011, 07:37 AM
It depends on where you are, I guess... Once I went to a theater in midtown Manhattan, near Time Square. WORST. EXPERIENCE. EVER. It must be bar night or something. The management also refused to do anything. I got a refund and left. Never went back.

Times Square theaters, and I'm throwing in the one on 34th St. for good measure, are awful, awful viewing experiences. The crowd is always obnoxious.