Probably a stupid question but...

perfectisafault

Registered
Reaction score
So I've been obsessively checking querytracker.net for new comments about a few agents I've queried recently. And some people have commented and said that they sent a query fairly recently (as in yesterday, the day before yesterday) and received either a request for materials or a form rejection the same day (sometimes an hour or two after they sent their query).

I haven't heard anything from these agents (who do send form rejections--they're not in the no-response means no camp), neither a rejection or a request. So I don't know what to make of this. :/ Does that mean my email didn't go through (I think they did though because they show up in my sent messages folder)? Or are they like ~thoughtfully considering whether or not to reject/request more material?

Wellfleet121

Registered
Reaction score
I've been wondering the same thing, actually. The Query Tracker data for the agents who typically respond to all queries often show this pattern (a handful of recent rejections or requests, with a dozen or so non-responses for queries sent earlier). Perhaps the holiday influenced the order, as well?

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
Honestly it could be both, that they are seriously considering your query, maybe passing it around the office if they think there would be an agent that would be a better fit or... they didn't get it.
If you know for a fact that this are responce to query agents, wait a little longer (maybe a two or three weeks? Some one better might clarify the time frame) then try sending it again.
Make sure you put Query: Title in the subject line, some agents won't look at it otherwise.

kaitlin008

Seeing newness all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kaitlinward.blogspot.com
Agents don't always read queries in order. And even the ones who do sometimes spot one that for whatever reason catches their eye and respond to it out of order. Or read it sooner for any number of other reasons. Some do hold onto queries that they think need more consideration. etc.

Honestly, when I was querying I tried to stay away from those stats areas. Querytracker is a great tool, but you have to remember that not everyone who queries uses it, and while the data is great, it's not perfect. The whole thing drives you crazy enough as it is, so sometimes it's a good idea to just step away and not worry about it. (Of course, you don't have to listen to me--some people feel differently, I'm sure.)

I agree with Alisha's advice, though, but I would think you'd want to wait quite a while before requerying even if they are definitely not no response=no. Sometimes they just get behind.

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't fret too much. Look at it like this--I'm sure at times it's pretty clear after reading a query an immediate "form reject" is in order. ;)

Or you might have interns sorting through the queries and yours might be in the 'maybe' pile or something like that. As Kaitlin008 said, I'm sure not all agents even read queries in order either. :)

(Note: I have run across agents who state on their websites: "If you haven't heard from me in xx amount of time, resend your query").

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
It could be nothing, it could be that they are passing, it could be that they haven't gotten to yoru query yet. It can depend on their schedules, whos' reading the queries, how thier email system is set up etc.

For instance, in work I get several hundred emails a day, and often I don't get through them all. So I start my day with the ones from today, and if I get through them then I start further back and try to get through some of last weeks unread. If more come through today then I have to go back to todays. This means that some people get a respnse on the same day, some don't get one for a week or more. It's just the nature of things when you have a high workload

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with James. Go and write another book.

Also, it's relatively easy for agents to reject a lot of the queries that arrive: for example, if they only represent writers of romantic fiction, they're going to reject all submissions of non-fiction books, all children's books, all SF pretty much unread. Those might be the quick rejections you've seen. The other books--the ones which are in the right arena, and which are for the most part competently written--take much longer to consider.

lilacat

Registered
Reaction score
When I was querying, I would get some one-day turnaround (requests and rejects alike), and some "black hole" lack-of-responses. But when I had an offer, the lack-of-responses came forward (many of them) instantly. You just can't tell how fast someone will get to you--or why. Agents could be at conferences, busy with other things--or reading your query--right now. Don't fret about it. Keep moving forward.