Twenty seven inches of MacINTOSH glory!

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Woooooooo! What a beautiful system. I am a happy convert. I'm still trying to figure out Safari and all the little Apple quirks but so far so good.

I'm sure there are good tutorials for window converts online, but anyone want to point me to some before I google?

Also, :drool

Must watch a movie on this bad girl later. :e2woo:

Also, somewhere on here is a program that will presumably help me pull files off my backup drive. Help?

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I won't be of any help I just wanted you to know I'm jealous:D

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the wonderful world of Mac. Yeah, I'm a convert. It took some time to figure it out. Once I did, all I could think of was that's it!? Simple and sweet.

You may want to take some time to wander around and find your way first. But if your backup drive is just a plug-in (I've never had one of those, only CD/DVDs and thumb drives), then all you have to do is plug it in, open a "Finder" window (similar to the folder windows in Windows) and drop and drag.

Have fun!

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I found the finder and I found some user guides. The hunt for the help folder will have to continue later :)

I did however change my background to a lovely zebra. Wowza.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nice. Thanks, Kelly. I'm still getting used to the menu bar being up there. And in this computer's case- Way up there and turn your head to the far right :D

Cheers everyone for the nice words. My mother is funny b/c she's like 'Oh, I hate Mac.' and I said: When the heck did you ever use a Mac?
Her: I tried them and I don't like them.
Me: I bet you used them for an entire 10 minutes total in your life. They are just different.

Later she admitted they are just different. She keeps popping by to see all the kewl stuff I can do. I can't wait to get this baby set up at home.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Also, somewhere on here is a program that will presumably help me pull files off my backup drive. Help?

My husband says it's called Time Machine. It does automatic backup.

I have no clue about these things; he is the Mac expert.

Deleted member 42

The big thing is that in general, when you'd expect to right-click on Windows, you use the Control key.

Having said that, you can configure the Mac Mouse to work like a Windows mouse.

This is an Apple site for Switchers:

http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/

It's pretty good. I'd start looking at it right now.

Deleted member 42

My husband says it's called Time Machine. It does automatic backup.

I have no clue about these things; he is the Mac expert.

No; that's not what she means.

She is referring to using the Migration Assistant.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I tried to mess with Time machine, but it apparently wants an external HD to make 'snapshots' to...

And migration assistant. Excellent. And thanks for the other tips :) I've already turned on the right click feature b/c I don't wanna go insane...

Now, on Safari, how in the world do I get it to tab to Post Quick Reply or is this a coding fault? In firefox I could hit tab, tab, and enter to post reply. Here the second tab takes me all the way to forum jump (no idea what the first tab does, but hitting tab, enter does nothing).

Deleted member 42

Well, you could download and install Firefox.

I'd suggest checking the Tab settings in Safari.

All apps have their Preferences (or settings) in the same place under the menu that bears the app's name.

Start checking those out as a matter of course.

Also: the Dock can be moved and re-sized and the Finder has settings under View.

So look at the System Prefs under the Apple menu, too. They're huge.

One thing you should do right now is go to System Prefs/Users and create a new account called Test. Use a password you won't forget, ever, and give that account Admin privs.

Then never ever use it. Don't change it, don't customize. Leave it as is.

That gives you a quick and easy way to determine something odd is local, to your account, or system wide. And it gives you an emergency alternative account.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I'll go check it out

What does merge all windows do? I'm afraid to check it out :tongue

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ah ha! I had to go to advanced settings and there it was. Now I tab once to highlight quick reply. Cheers :D

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm playing with my new Macbook at work (no internet access, though, dammit). I've found their inbuilt Help section so far has given me every answer I've needed. Much more helpful than the Windows version.

I do have one question I'm not sure of, though. Would an ITunes music file from their "ITunes for windows" application play if I copied it into the straight Mac ITunes on the laptop? I don't know if the coding used to allow Windows to play ITunes affects just the program or the files within it.

Deleted member 42

Would an ITunes music file from their "ITunes for windows" application play if I copied it into the straight Mac ITunes on the laptop? I don't know if the coding used to allow Windows to play ITunes affects just the program or the files within it.

Yep. Don't move them by hand to the folder, just put the files on the desktop, launch iTunes, and drag-and-drop them or use the Add to Library option in the File menu of iTunes; iTunes will import/copy the files for you.

You can then delete the ones on the Desktop.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am tempted to d/l firefox, but I'm giving Safari a chance. I don't currently have internet at home, so web browsing isn't going to happen until February.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And when you're ready for it, I highly recommend setting things up with Spaces. I have one for Microsquash Orifice, one for Mac's iWork, one for Mac's iLife, one for intarwebz use, and one for miscellaneous writing apps that aren't part of a larger package. It makes switching back and for sooooooooooo much easier!

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yep. Don't move them by hand to the folder, just put the files on the desktop, launch iTunes, and drag-and-drop them or use the Add to Library option in the File menu of iTunes; iTunes will import/copy the files for you.

You can then delete the ones on the Desktop.

That'll be my project for tonight, then, thank you.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, now I need tech help. I got the external HD plugged in, and it flashed up time machine and said the drive needs formatting. The HD isn't coming up on the desktop...

Damn it. It wants to erase all data. Make it play nice plz. I spent all afternoon backing up my Toshiba/Windows XP system.

charlotte49ers

let it snow
Registered
Reaction score
Enjoy it! I love mine! I don't know anything about the issues you're having though. Sorry! :(

Deleted member 42

Okay, now I need tech help. I got the external HD plugged in, and it flashed up time machine and said the drive needs formatting. The HD isn't coming up on the desktop...

Damn it. It wants to erase all data. Make it play nice plz. I spent all afternoon backing up my Toshiba/Windows XP system.

How did you back it up?

Do you have the computer there? It's easier to just connect the two computers.

Look at this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2518

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I backed it up with Retrospect. I do need it to work with both computers at some point in the future. Will look into connecting them for now.

Deleted member 42

I backed it up with Retrospect. I do need it to work with both computers at some point in the future. Will look into connecting them for now.

You would need Retrospect on the Mac to read the files.

Retrospect automatically compresses and encrypts backup files.

If you simply dragged over files to the drive, even entire folders of them, you could move them between the two computers.

You can even connect the drive to one and Share it over your local network.

But for now, Retrospect is your problem.

Deleted member 42

Don't reformat the drive on your Mac; Macs read Windows drives easily; it's trickier going the other way 'round.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I backup-copied files rather than compress them b/c I almost died once when my laptop died and I couldn't uncompress the files on the external drive.

I'll try just transferring files and then reading them on the mac, but there's file folders on there now...

It's a WD drive btw...