Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
*snerk* Seriously? The demon turned out to by Nyarlathotep or something?

I have no patience with exorcism movies. They're like rows of cookies cut with the same cookie cutter. (Yes, I've seen several. :))

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
*snerk* Seriously? The demon turned out to by Nyarlathotep or something?

I have no patience with exorcism movies. They're like rows of cookies cut with the same cookie cutter. (Yes, I've seen several. :))
It wasn't really even about an exorcism (I'm convinced it had an original title something quite different, but someone changed it because they thought exorcism movies made more money). You are pretty close on the ending tho.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard that the movie actually is really good. Some people love the ending, some people hate it.

Dodge

Sparks fly off my pages!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dodgewinston.com
Anything with the word "exorcism" or "exorcist" in the title usually pushes me away. Having grown up digesting tons of horror/monster movies and sci-fi I finally The Exorcist at the age of 10... well that was the only movie to make me not want to walk into my bedroom... ever. And the irony is that I have demonic characters in some of my writing. That movie must have made quite an impression.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's a great movie. It really is. The lead actor is terrific. Plenty of the standard twists and turns (is she possessed, is she insane, is she abused???). And no one could expect that ending. Right outta left field. Except the girl's pics kinda hint strongly along the lines. I was delighted with it.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had meant to catch this one but never got around to it. I've heard mostly good things, though the ending does seem to divide people. I need to go ahead and rent that bad boy.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
The concept was really very clever and I have to say that, atmospherically, it definitely got the job done. The end, sadly, gets five WTF?s.

I maintain that horror is the most difficult genre to get right. A fully satisfying horror film is a truly wonderful achievement.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The concept was really very clever and I have to say that, atmospherically, it definitely got the job done. The end, sadly, gets five WTF?s.

I maintain that horror is the most difficult genre to get right. A fully satisfying horror film is a truly wonderful achievement.

yeah, it needed just a dash more explaining than, holy crap we're suddenly in an HP Lovecraft movie! But, otherwise...

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
I really did think it was excellent right up to the end. I loved the premise that the guy was making a documentary to expose charlatans--didn't see that coming from the previews at all.

I would've gone more with 'deleted scenes from Rosemary's Baby' rather than Lovecraft, and "aww, c'mon, you were doing so well" rather than WTF, but yeah. Ditto, basically.

I hated it that the most striking visuals were spoilered by the previews, but I guess they had to do that to sell tickets. Last year I made a point of not watching any of the trailers for Inception. Going forward I'm going to try to do that more often.