• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Finished manuscript; betas I need you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

L_N

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all! Thanks for checking out my cry in need of beta reader help!

1) I'm specifically seeking beta readers who are 14 - 21 yo. As all of you can guess, this is because I'm writing a YA novel and I'd really like to have beta readers from my target audience.

2) My YA novel is a supernatural/adventure. If this hybrid intrigues you, PM me and I can send you a summary of what the novel is about. And of course, feel free to reject if you didn't find the summary interesting. I won't take "No, thanks. I'll pass." personally. :)

3) I'm very serious in getting this novel published, so all I can offer beta readers is giving them credit in the "Acknowledgments" section if this novel does get published.

Feel free to PM me with any questions and of course, if you're interested!

Last edited:

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, L_N and welcome to Absolute Write. :welcome:

I see your first post is a request for a beta reader.

This is a writing community so I encourage you to spend some time in the other forums, read and post, and get to know your fellow writers. A good place to start is the "Share Your Work" forum where you can offer critiques and input to other writers. There's also a number of "Young Adult" forums where you can chat with other YA authors and readers. In short, Absolute Write is the place to be if you want to improve your craft and network with fellow writers of all ages and backgrounds. But you have to get involved. Give something to get something... Quid pro quo and all that! ;)

If you spend some time here, you'll note that the vast majority of AW members/posters are also "very serious about getting published" as well. We all share a common interest and a common goal.

So my suggestion--if you're indeed serious about writing and getting published--is to get involved here and then come back and try the beta route again. You may find most AWers are reluctant to take on a "drive by" beta project.

Best of luck to you! :)

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
L N, I echo what Rowan said. We're glad to have you here and hope you will choose to become a part of this community. But we've been burned a lot of times by writers who arrive wanting our time and expertise, receiving it, and giving back nothing at all.

So get comfortable, participate in your genre's board and the general writing boards, goof around and make friends at the non-writing boards, and become one of Us, okay?

Maryn, glad to meet you

L_N

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement, you two. :) And telling me to not be a leech in gentle words lol.

I do apologize to all who felt offended if you did think I was doing a "drive by"; that wasn't my intention at all. I understand that this is a community, we share, build trust, help each other, etc...so I had no intentions of dropping out of this forum if I ended up getting what I needed, but I can understand how this looks since this was my first post.

I personally become overwhelmed on huge forums, but I do genuinely want to make positive and productive contributions. In the end, I may not have 1,000+ posts but I hope I can at least help those that need it and get to know fellow writers on the boards.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Excellent! There's a very active community here with many members having published books aimed at the same readers in your sites. I bet some reading and question-asking there could teach you plenty they learned the hard way.

Meanwhile, I'm expecting the difficult relatives at the end of the week. Want to come over and help me clean the downstairs so it'll meet their standards (and seem utterly alien to those who live here)?

Maryn, hopeful

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
I think you'll find the board extremely helpful--I know I have! And, I agree these boards can be overwhelming. AW is the only board I visit because it's simply the best, most informative lit board on the 'netverse. You'll learn a lot from everyone here and vice-versa.

Start small and take your time getting your feet wet. Baby steps ;) [And don't worry about getting 1,000+ posts---I NEVER thought I'd have this many but you can get carried away on here!]

L_N

Registered
Reaction score
I have found AW to be really great just observing what's been going on during the last few months, and AW really gave me the push to try out a smaller writing forum first. So this is really baby steps for me, Rowan, so thanks again for opening some doors to get me into this wonderful community.

Best of luck to you, Maryn (with the relatives, I mean. Not the cleaning. ;))!

Status
Not open for further replies.