The dreaded "was"

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
I'm working on cutting my chapter down to 3000 words for the debut dagger. I like it better EXCEPT for the dreaded word "was."

Is nine times in 3000 words bad? During line edits I rearranged and eliminated any others, which made stronger sentences. But sometimes, "was" seemed better left alone. A few in dialogue, which doesn't bother me, but trying to change certain sentences, changed the voice of it if that makes sense. So I left them be. Thoughts?

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
'Was' is not taboo. Like any word, it shouldn't be overused, but with 9 instances in a 3000-word piece you can hardly be accused of that. It's great if you feel avoiding 'was' has made your work stronger--just make sure you aren't struggling to come up with a work-around when it is the right word.

Deleted member 42

No.

There is no way to say many things in English without using "was."

If you don't believe me, pick up a novel written in the last 30 years that you really like.

Start looking for "was" and "were."

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Was can be overdone, but nine times in 3,000 words sounds like pretty sparse usage. Don't hamstring yourself trying to avoid was. There is nothing inherently wrong with it.

Overuse of was is usually related to too many passive sentences (The book was read by Mary) or too many was/ing constructions. But the occasional passive sentence or was/ing construction is fine. A plethora of them is a sign of weak writing, but avoiding was altogether is unnecessary and even detrimental to good prose.

HistorySleuth

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Ok, I'm good then. Thank you! The ones I changed were for passive reasons I came across in editing. It made for better sentences after I changed them. You know how first drafts are. So after I fixed the passive voice, I wondered if I missed any spots, so in checking I found I still had nine. I didn't feel I could change those without it sounding like a tangled mass of words. I'm just being paranoid I think because it's for the debut dagger contest.

FennelGiraffe

It's green they say
Registered
Reaction score
The verb to be, in its various forms including was, is an essential part of the English language. Trying to completely avoid using it produces convoluted and awkward phrasing. However, it's often abused, so it's a good idea to double-check each occurrence to be sure that particular sentence can't be reworded more effectively.

Was followed by <verb>ed = passive voice.
While there are a few legitimate reasons for choosing passive voice, it's almost always better rewritten as active voice.

Was followed by <verb>ing = past progressive tense. Useful for simultaneous action, where one action occurs while another ongoing action is in progress. Frequent use should be avoided, but there's nothing wrong with occasional use where appropriate.

Was followed by <noun> or <adjective> = linking verb. Describes an identity, a state, or a condition. It's a weak construction because there's no action, no movement. Still, it can't be eliminated altogether. Sometimes nothing else will do as well.

HistorySleuth

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Thank you Fennel, that is (not was because it still is :D) a helpful post. I wasn't trying to eliminate all of them, just trying to make sure my writings strong and not brain lazy. I admit on my first draft I did quite a few of the things you mentioned above, and being aware that I do that, wanted to fix those issues. You explained it so simply! Much appreciated.

VoireyLinger

Angel Wing Fetish
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.voireylinger.com
"Was" is a wonderful and perfectly appropriate word to use, as are all other forms of 'be'. I find it more awkward to not have it in the writing. It is often maligned as passive, but its presence doesn't make the writing passive, the writing does. (And passive isn't always a bad thing either.)

You're fine and don't' angst on it.

HistorySleuth

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
I know. I know. I'm being silly. There seems so many "rules" of don't have too many of these words or that word, etc, etc. and I know the rules aren't set in stone of course, just trying to make sure I'm not being sloppy. Thanks for the input jaksen.

Deleted member 42

Most of the rules are stupid.

They'd be fine if they were presented as "suggestions," or "guidance" or "good practice."

English is infinitely flexible. It has an extraordinary range, and its multiplicity in terms of vocabulary and syntax are phenomenal.

The best advice I can offer is to ask yourself "Is there a better way for me to write this?"

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
The best advice I can offer is to ask yourself "Is there a better way for me to write this?"

Exactly.

The issue here isn't "was" or whatever. It's "is this the best way to write it?" Often "was" isn't the best way, or the best word choice. It's a crutch for many writers. But there's nothing inherently wrong with "was." The challenge is to ask: "Is there a better way to write this?"

- There was a cat in my house.
- A cat hid in my house and scared the heck out of me when I got home.

- Mary was eating an ice cream.
- Mary ate an ice cream. Mary devoured her ice cream.

- John was pushed down the stairs by William.
- William pushed John down the stairs.

Stanmiller

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know. I know. I'm being silly. There seems so many "rules" of don't have too many of these words or that word, etc, etc. and I know the rules aren't set in stone of course, just trying to make sure I'm not being sloppy. Thanks for the input jaksen.

And now that's settled, will we be addressing the usage of the evil adverb?

Stan