PDA

View Full Version : Setting A Script Goal

Dustin T.
01-06-2011, 06:33 PM
Hey guys. I need some help.

I have a screenplay I want to finish up by SUNDAY. Right now I'm on 30 pages. I'll post my progress through the days, but I am hoping to find some others to motivate me into finishing.

alleycat
01-06-2011, 06:43 PM
I assume this is a full-length script (100-110 pages), and that you have some good reason for wanting to finish by Sunday. In which case you're going to have to write about 20 pages a day. I try not to tell someone that shouldn't do something since, for all I know, they might have a valid reason for wanting to do it. Otherwise I would tell you that's too high of a goal.

At that pace you can't piddle around or backtrack a lot. Do you have an outline, or at least a clear idea of the scenes to come in your mind? If not, and it were me, I would create "write to" points to keep me on the right track.

Phaeal
01-06-2011, 06:48 PM
DID I JUST HEAR YOU STOP TO BREATHE, SOLDIER? DROP AND GIVE ME 30 MORE PAGES --- NOW!

Dustin T.
01-06-2011, 06:51 PM
I want to be done by Sunday because this isn't the script I want to write. I have a treatment for a fantasy/horror wizard of Oz piece I NEED to finish ASAP, but this current one is blocking any progress.

Back in the day, I could do 10 pages an hour... now it's 1-3 pages a day. the focus is lost and I don't know how to get it back.

Thanks Phaeal! I'm going to try to knock out 30 pages today.

alleycat
01-06-2011, 07:06 PM
Well, there are stories, apocryphal or not, of screenwriters locking themselves up in a room and knocking out a screenplay in a weekend. I think Rocky was supposed to have been written that way.

If your pages count is slowing so much, it's probably because this isn't something you want to write. In that case, look (grasp) for anything that breaks that mental block. You might keep the ending in mind (hopefully a good one, or at least a decent one), similar to how a climber might think of the top of a mountain; "Screw everything else, I'm getting to that end by Sunday, dammit!"