PDA

View Full Version : Are there any Challenges or Events?

IainPeregrine
01-06-2011, 07:06 AM
Back when I was trying to learn programming I did a lot of Challenges and Events hosted by the communities I joined. Are there any such challenges currently underway here, or coming up in the near future?

Challenges normally have various requirements outside of the participants' control, so the focus is often on making something (anything!) so long as it's finished. This was a big help to me in learning how to finish a program in a limited time frame, and I think writing challenges would be helpful to me now.

Got any links to any such events?

yoghurtelf
01-06-2011, 08:42 AM
You can check out the short story writing experiment a couple of my friends and I are running this year. it's a year-long thing. The link is in my signature. There is also more info in a thread on the "Announcements, Events" forum. :D

Not sure if that's what you meant - and with this you don't win any prizes, just the joy of participating and challenging yourself :)

Sydneyd
01-06-2011, 08:47 AM
A lot of us do the flash fiction challenge on Sundays. The mod posts a prompt at 6PM (my time, which is PST, you will have to adjust depending on where you are) and you have 90 mins to write, edit, and post a story. There isnt a winner or anything, but it is fun :)

IainPeregrine
01-10-2011, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I just wrote something for this week's flash fiction prompt, but I am unable to post a new thread in that forum. I'm aware that this site has some rules in place about who can post what where and when, but I have to admit that I find it all very confusing. I feel like I'm being asked to spam 50 other topics before I can have other functions unlocked. I understand this is far from the intended purpose; I'm saying it so you can hopefully understand my perspective and confusion.

Any help getting to understand how things work around here would be appreciated. Specifically, if it is possible for me to post a new thread in the Flash Fiction forum. (For the sake of clarity, I can enter the password and get past that hurdle).

Edit: I don't know how I didn't see that thread ( Link to thread about the 50 post rule (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198450) ). I may come back and edit or delete this post after I'm done reading that. In the meantime, please feel free to fill me in on how things work for new members around here, as I find a lot of this to be confusing.

Edit2: Hm... that post suggests that I reply in the challenge's thread, and then PM a moderator to move my post to a new thread. This is a problem because the challenge thread is locked. Blah. Here's something concrete that someone can do to help me, though it may seem odd: Link me to a specific thread where a newbie's opinion would be welcome - maybe a short story that the writer would like feedback on.

I'm hesitant to post feedback on writing because I'm just a newbie. Where I come from, newbies are encouraged to ask for help, but not offer help. This is because someone who doesn't know how to program will often give very bad advice which can have long term effects on other people trying to learn to program. I feel very out of place here when I'm asked to give advice, but not ask for it, because I'm new.

Sydneyd
01-10-2011, 09:30 PM
I'm sorry I forgot about the 50 post rule when I suggested the Flash Fiction Challenge. Perhaps if you ask a mod they can help you on that front.

But, you shouldn't feel hesitant to post feedback. I'm new at this as well, and I avoided giving my opinions on other's writings for a while, but what I realized is that I am not new to reading, or writing. When I read something I always think, "If I had picked this story up in a bookstore or magazine would I continue reading?" Then I go through why or why not? Or I ask myself what I like about the story. I feel like that type of advice is really helpful to the writer.

Also, there are tons of helpful and interesting threads that dont involve giving critiques. Check them out! :) Don't think of it as 50 posts of spam, but rather 50 posts that allow you to get to know others, and to gain knowledge, in your field of interest. :)

Hope this helps.

jvc
01-10-2011, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I just wrote something for this week's flash fiction prompt, but I am unable to post a new thread in that forum. I'm aware that this site has some rules in place about who can post what where and when, but I have to admit that I find it all very confusing.
There shouldn't be any problems with you starting a thread in the Flash Fiction Challenge forum (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=137), password is flashed, as the 50 post rule doesn't apply to that section.

Just go to the forum, which I've posted the link to above, and hit New Thread, as I'm wondering if you tried to post in the actual challenge thread which is locked, which means you can't post in it. If you have any other problems with it, let me know and I'll help you out.

Link me to a specific thread where a newbie's opinion would be welcome - maybe a short story that the writer would like feedback on.
You can post feedback on whatever thread you want to in SYW, and any feedback is always useful and much appreciated. It doens't have to be a long line-by-line critique, just an opinion. As a reader, you can offer valued critique in that regard.

I'm hesitant to post feedback on writing because I'm just a newbie. Where I come from, newbies are encouraged to ask for help, but not offer help. This is because someone who doesn't know how to program will often give very bad advice which can have long term effects on other people trying to learn to program. I feel very out of place here when I'm asked to give advice, but not ask for it, because I'm new.
As I said above, you are a reader, even if you are a new writer, and as a reader you can give valued advice on stories. As well as helping the person you are critting, you will also help yourself too, as critting others will be invaluable to your own writing. It certainly helped me.