Infantile Typography

Jack Newcastle

Certified Malcontent
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thecad.net
Is it me or does 2pt line-space layout appear as though it's laid out for children? And while we're at it, who else hates the 6x9 novel? There's something off-putting about the size. I prefer an A5 or Digest 5.5 x 8.5.

Regards,

Jack

Carradee

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mistiwolanski.com
Um, I actually prefer the 6x9 novel. It's easily portable and takes up less space. I have far more difficulty convincing myself to buy other-sized novels that won't fit in my purse and will take up even more room on my already overstocked shelves. (And that's WITH several boxes stacked full of books.)

And I'm guessing that by "2pt line-space" you mean when a page has 2pt between it and the line below? Again, I like it, because it's easier on the eyes. I've been a full-time proofreader/copyeditor, before, and the eyestrain alone can make it difficult to function.

Jack Newcastle

Certified Malcontent
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thecad.net
Well, I accept that, Carradee. I just don't know. I'm looking at a hardback edition of Catch-22, and though I don't mind the tight spacing between the lines, I'm put off by the .5" margins. To me, that just seems odd to go to the edge of the page like that.

Anyway, I just tried resetting my work to 11pt on 13pt, and it just appeared too spacious. Maybe it's simply a matter of what one is accustomed to. I only ask because I've had a complaint that, as you say, it's hard on the eyes. My eyes are shot anyway, so perhaps I don't know.

Thanks and kind regards,

Jack

eward

Registered
Reaction score
Website
openpresencenow.com
I don't mind 6x9 hardbacks, but 6x9 paperback novels feel funny to me. Like it should be a nonfiction book instead of a novel. All personal preference, of course. :)