PDA

View Full Version : May I have a beta please?

Annmarie09
01-06-2011, 01:39 AM
Hi,

I've finished my final version of my story 'Imprint'. It is a 55,000 word long YA paranormal novel. No. It does not include vampires or werewolves.

I'm looking to start querying soon, so any input would be really helpful. I don't mind if you want to only beta the first few chapters or the whole thing (that would be peferable, but it's up to you).

Thank you :)

Edit: sorry everyone, here's the query I've written for it at the moment to give you an idea of what its' about.

Sixteen year old Sean Lane has been struggling with amnesia since he was twelve. He has a grudge against most of humanity, a brother who’s obsessed with the paranormal, and one friend: Ali. He’s also seeing things that don’t exist and is convinced he’s being haunted. Things are going just peachy. When he’s almost killed by a car swerving out of control and careening into his side, he is sent into a coma only to wake up two weeks later and be told that he has become an Imprint.

An Imprint is the name given to the disembodied spirits of dead people. But Sean is the exception because he isn’t dead, not yet anyway, and his body has been hijacked by the very thing that was haunting him: an Imprint boy named Drew who died four years ago in a suspicious drowning accident. Or so he says.

Invisible to everyone except Drew, Sean has no choice but to put his hatred for the arrogant, psychotic boy aside and stay with him in the hope of somehow being reunited with his body before it’s too late and his spirit ‘fades out of existence’. But having to live with the person he hates the most isn’t easy, especially when said person seems intent on mocking him at every chance and rubbing his failures in his face.

And then there’s Drew’s secret. He’s hiding something, something that has to do with Sean’s forgotten past, something horrible enough that it triggered his amnesia.

But as Sean struggles to figure out the truth of what really happened four years ago, he realises that the answers aren’t that simple and that there are things much worse than dying.

Stijn Hommes
01-06-2011, 03:34 AM
You said it's not about vampires and werewolves, but you don't say what it IS about. Please clarify, it will probably give you more responses.

S.A.Michel
01-06-2011, 06:16 AM
Imprint immediately makes me think of werewolves; but you say it's not, which makes me curious. Although what I'm really wondering is if it has romance, and, if so, what kind?

»Sam.

KosseMix
01-06-2011, 07:10 AM
If you could post your query here so we can get a sense of the characters and conflict, that'd be great.

azewr
01-06-2011, 10:34 AM
I'm curious enough to offer my services as a Beta, but like the others, please tell us more about it (:

EndlessDestiny
01-08-2011, 05:21 AM
I agree with everyone: summary please.

Annmarie09
01-08-2011, 06:12 PM
Sorry everyone, guess I forgot the most important part. I've edited the summary into my first post.
And, to clarify, yes it has some light romance in it but it is not the main plot or theme of the story.