Day spas and tanning salons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gardenandhearth.com
Do you frequent a Day Spa or Tanning salon?
How often?
What do you like or dislike about them?
Thanks for any response.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't frequent one, so this may be a response you don't even want. Feel free to kick it out of your collected replies.

I grew up in the desert Southwest, at a time when only albinos wore sunscreen. Like most suburban Caucasian girls, I started tanning on purpose in my early teens.

By 30, I had precancerous skin lesions which required outpatient surgery. Although I stopped sunning, I continue to see the negative effects of UV exposure more than twenty years later, and will always have to pay attention to my skin because of the damage my youthful tanning caused.

So what I dislike about tanning salons is that they promote a practice that's known to be unhealthy in the long term to young women (mostly) who are prone to thinking in the short term. Even for the majority who never get skin lesions or cancers, there's premature aging and early loss of elasticity caused by UV exposure.

Maryn, knowing that's not what you hoped to hear

PennyS

Registered
Reaction score
I've only been once. I found the lights to be very soothing, however, I was only in for about 12 minutes and burned. I found it dried my skin worse than the sun so I never went back.

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
Day Spa Diva

I regularly frequent a local day spa here, and usually check out new day spas when I'm on vacation ...

Let me tell you what I look for in a day spa:

-- Cleanliness. I don't want towels with stains, hair or garbage in the showers, mold in the steam bath, etc.

-- Scent. I love to smell aromatic oil in little pots over candles, or aromatherapy candles, etc. I don't want to smell chlorine/bleach, or sweat, etc.

-- Atmospheric lighting. I don't want harsh, industrial light everywhere.

-- Liquid refreshment. I like having something to drink either before or after I have a massage, or use the steam bath, etc. It doesn't have to be anything fancy -- ice water with a slice of lemon is fine. Herbal tea is nice, too. Juice is great.

I guess those are the top four things I look for in a day spa -- assuming that there are massage services, pleasant personnel, somewhat reasonable prices ...

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
Okaaaaaaaaaay ...

Looks like I've managed, again, to somehow kill a thread. Must be an innate talent of mine ...............

samgail

poll dancer
Registered
Reaction score

I owned my own day spa until two years ago when I sold it.
There is something about the camaraderie that I have yet to experience anywhere else. I am still a client and sometimes find myself booking just to see the girls. We did not have tanning beds with UV bulbs; we featured full spectrum lighting throughout and offered sunless tanning treatments. I am a redhead with freckles and have spent my whole life battling sun rays. Helping my friends and clients kick the sun habit was very rewarding.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with Maryn on this one. I used to do the whole tanning salon thing, but never never again. I am proud to wear my blindingly white porcelain skin. I had my own little punch card & everything where I would earn free visits at tanning salons. They had a special high intensity "face tanner" (Yeah, THAT was healthy!) that I used to get that not-so-healthy glow.

Looking back, I can't imagine what I must have been thinking. I'm Irish, for God's sake! I watched dad go through melanoma. He had surgery, radiation & chemotherapy. He came within a hair's breadth of dying one day from malnutrition from the chemo side effects. It was definitely an awakening.

But...as for tanning salons in general, they boast how healthy their tanning methods are, they are usually fairly clean, and the atmosphere usually has little fake palm trees and posters of tropical vacation spots and the gal or guy working the front desk is usually 12 or 14 shades darker than they were born. .

Status
Not open for further replies.