• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Cheer partner/Writing buddy wanted- but the thing is...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
Hello. This is not exactly what I had hoped to be doing but here goes. Oh, and read the whole thing! I can't stress this enough! I know the length is epic!

I could use a cheer partner writing buddy willing to read and encourage a Middle Grade horror novel that I alternate between "OMG this will never be" published and "This is cool and dark!"

I am perfectly willing to reciprocate as well. I have experience beta-ing and I am a pretty thurough critiquer, but I need a 'niceness' level so let me know.

Basically it is a continuation of this short story http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191599&highlight=calvin

Synopsis: 12 year old Calvin Lucas sees ghosts. Lately the victems of a serial killer have been appearing to him and they want their deaths solved. ( I had a better one in the M/T/S forum but you get the idea) I like to call it Criminal Minds meets Medium with 12 year old MC.

So what do I want from you?

-A reader and prefferably author of MG fiction to provide feedback, encouragement, and an opinion on the appropriatness/publication chances
of the work as it developes.

-Someone with credentials of some kind- either a name I recognize from the Children's Forum a blog I follow, or awesome of awesome a published author of MG fiction! A girl can dream right?

-Feedback on the story, plot, characters, and ideas.

-I can take critique but be kind- you will be reading a rough draft written as I go along or up until I quit. (That is a terrible thought!)

-Reliable. Someone who will read and get back to me on a regular basis! Like the next day kind of regular. Don't just diappear into the word work!

-Someone with more than a handful of posts.

-A fellow author. I am not a total newb. I have published graphic novels and been in a few e-zines. I currently review manga at Otaku USA magazine (I am a fairly junior reviewer but I am still in the magazine every couple of months or so)

What I'm NOT looking for

-Amature writers. I need a considered and educated opinion.

-A reader who doesn't like MG fiction, or horror, or gore, or 12 year olds in danger.

-Flattery. That's nice but it won't help me.

-Searing critiques. If you want to tell me how much it sucks please don't.

-grammer and spellcheck

OK- Now, remember the title of the post?

The thing is the manuscript is in very bad long hand. I hand write all my work and I don't really type. So you will be recieving 72dpi jpegs of my scrawl. I scan and level them to make them as readable as possible but you can't count on deciphering every word. BUT it's about 90% legible most of the time. It should also be obvious I can't spell. But I don't ned anyone telling me that, I know it.

PM me! I am going to let this thing sink to the bottom of the forum but I usually check in on the forum every day at least once.

Steam&Ink

sekrit superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Bottom-right hand side of the map. Tucked away dow
Website
steamandink.blogspot.com
The thing is the manuscript is in very bad long hand. I hand write all my work and I don't really type. So you will be recieving 72dpi jpegs of my scrawl. I scan and level them to make them as readable as possible but you can't count on deciphering every word. BUT it's about 90% legible most of the time. It should also be obvious I can't spell. But I don't ned anyone telling me that, I know it.

Phew. I think you might get better results if you could at least provide your ms in a spell-checked, typed format. It's really hard to read a full length ms in long-hand, even if the handwriting is very good.

Good luck

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
I think you will find very few people who will feel it's worth their time to beta anything with so many spelling or grammar (note the correct spelling of that word) errors it doesn't stand a chance of being published.

Good luck with your project.

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
If you were willing to put out the effort to type up your manuscript and spellcheck it, you might find someone willing to read it for you. As it stands, I think getting someone to read over this will be very difficult for you. To actually submit it anywhere it will have to be typed, so why not get started on that now?

Good luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.