Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Newcastle

Certified Malcontent
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thecad.net
I really should like to know why in this day and age that self-publishing is still frowned upon, yet in the film business, independently financed projects aren't. I seem to recall that Tarantino couldn't get backing for Reservoir Dogs and that after he got the script to Keitel, they scrounged for the money themselves. Of course, there are scores of other indie films that have gone on to be acknowledged as classics (and true, a great many more that haven't), so i simply want to know from the powers that be, why that canard exists in the literary field. Frankly, I'm baffled.

Kind regards,

Jack

PercyBlok

Take it or leave it
Registered
Reaction score
Florida (Tampa area), but it still doesn't seem to
Quality is quality no matter how it comes to light. Problem is that barrier to entry into self-publishing is much lower than movies.

With electronic publishing growing in popularity the stigma is slowly diminishing. I have to say that there is a plethora of free e-books for Kindle and many of them are worth exactly what you pay for them. There is a certain level of "quality assurance" in an offering from a legit press. Remember that publishing is about product and with that comes a certain level of quality. Too many self-pubbed things have grammatical errors that any level of line edit would catch, but yet it still gets published...self-published that is.

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
The simple reason is that manuscripts that pass through the sluice gates of the publishing industry are subject to some degree of vetting. Self-published manuscripts aren't.

Ipso facto, traditionally published works are statistically more likely to be of higher quality than self-pubbed.

Is it always the case? Of course not. There are some self-pubbed gems and there are plenty of trad-pubbed stinkers. But we're talking about the probabilities which lead to generalized perceptions.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Your comparison isn't quite right. Indie movies are more comparable to small presses (not micropresses). Self-publishing is more like folks with a home movie camera posting on YouTube. Some of those home movies on YouTube are bloody fantastic, and so are some self-published books. Most, however, are not.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
I once decided to try self- and vanity-published books, so I obtained six of them with the intention of posting reviews on my blog when I was done. I say "with the intention" because I couldn't finish two, so they never got reviewed.

Of the other four, one was excellent. The other three ranged from flawed to unbelievably bad. One in six is not good odds for me. As a result, I'm not likely to read or review self-published books again (unless they're by an author whom I know is great, or they've received fantastic reviews from known sources - meaning someone else has already screened them).

So I know from a personal standpoint why there's a stigma against self-published books.

Last edited:

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I really should like to know why in this day and age that self-publishing is still frowned upon, yet in the film business, independently financed projects aren't. I seem to recall that Tarantino couldn't get backing for Reservoir Dogs and that after he got the script to Keitel, they scrounged for the money themselves. Of course, there are scores of other indie films that have gone on to be acknowledged as classics (and true, a great many more that haven't), so i simply want to know from the powers that be, why that canard exists in the literary field. Frankly, I'm baffled.

Kind regards,

Jack

I agree with what's been said, but I'd like to add that technology today has made it very easy, and very inexpensive to self publish a book. And becuase of that, a lot of people are self publishing. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it means your book might be lumped in with the bad, just by association. There are some self-published books, though, that really do stand out. If you are thinking about heading down that road, you really should try to find a few self-published books that have been reviewed positively on Amazon/goodreads/etc (and not just by one or two people that you know are personal friends of the author), and drop those authors an email. What you'll find is that those authors did not take the cheap route when they brought their product to market. Their books are well edited, well designed (and not just the covers), and they actually have a history of developing as a writer before self publishing. You'll also likely find that those authors know a thing-or-two about marketing.

There are a couple AW authors whose books I purchased to see the quality and I had to admit that they were extremely well written and really well designed. Their handles are, AXLER and ZPETEMAN, you might want to PM them or at least find some of their posts. I'm sure there are many others here too, but those two guys just happen to be the ones I've read.

Last edited:

kurzon

Registered
Reaction score
Have you ever watched any of those shows like "American Idol"? They show a couple of mediocre people, focus on the people good enough to get through, and they throw in a solid portion of comic relief with the people who have no idea how to carry a tune - yet really really believe that they can.

The first few episodes of those shows are all like that, but then they get past the auditions, and you only see the people who "passed the cut".

Now imagine that, instead of those couple of hour-long shows, there was a show called "All Idol" which showed all the auditions. Every one. Most of them are only ten to thirty seconds before the judges kick them out, but the line is three times around the block and that's just the first city. You can practically see the judges cry little tears when they find someone who can really really sing instead of being mediocre or bad. "All Idol" would be the most hated show on television.

Now apply that to the next book you're looking to buy, but (except in the case of the truly abysmal) with much longer than ten to thirty seconds to tell the book is one which really "sings". Unlike a bad drawing, or a bad movie, it can be a significant time investment to tell a mediocre book from a good one.

Would you shop at "Idol" or would you shop at "All Idol"? As a reader, I know where I shop.

But, still, occasionally at "All Idol" a really good singer shows up. The judges weep with relief, and give the audience a break by letting that really good singer sing the entire song. And word of mouth (presumably) will let people know to watch _that_ episode of "All Idol".

I don't quite understand people who say they will never read a self-published novel, no matter what. But I perfectly understand people who don't want to sit through all those auditions. And currently there is no effective mechanism (beyond word of mouth or being a persistent marketer with a gift for intriguing people) to let people know a self-publisher can 'sing'.

Last edited:

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
An indie movie also has to go through "gatekeepers" to be made - the people putting up the money have to like the script and the actors and want the film to be made.

Self-pubbing authors don't have anyone vetting their work but themselves and usually a few friends - which doesn't exactly provide the same level of criticism that a publisher does. Sure, some may be decent but without anyone to judge them other than the author you're more likely to buy a badly-edited tome than a good story. There are always exceptions to the rule but you can't really compare them to indie films or music where there are other factors involved.

imo, of course.

Jack Newcastle

Certified Malcontent
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thecad.net
Having been a kid in the 70s, I grew up listening to punk, and I've always said that one of the best things about it is that it allowed any kid with a guitar to start a band and get on stage. Of course, the worst thing about it is also that it allowed any kid with a guitar to start a band and get on stage, but in following Kurzon's Idol analogy, the point is that we never judged a band till they actually played. I suppose it's my idealism that puts me in the belief that professionals, in any industry, shouldn't dismiss on presumption or harbor thoughts of 'guilt by association', yet I also understand this is the era of 'whatever', eye-rolling, and snark (God, I hate that word) and that such dismissal is considered a sure sign of being in the know. Ach, I'm the first to admit I'm completely out of touch with these times.

Regards,

Jack

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Having been a kid in the 70s, I grew up listening to punk, and I've always said that one of the best things about it is that it allowed any kid with a guitar to start a band and get on stage. Of course, the worst thing about it is also that it allowed any kid with a guitar to start a band and get on stage, but in following Kurzon's Idol analogy, the point is that we never judged a band till they actually played. I suppose it's my idealism that puts me in the belief that professionals, in any industry, shouldn't dismiss on presumption or harbor thoughts of 'guilt by association', yet I also understand this is the era of 'whatever', eye-rolling, and snark (God, I hate that word) and that such dismissal is considered a sure sign of being in the know. Ach, I'm the first to admit I'm completely out of touch with these times.

Regards,

Jack

Truth-be-told, if you spend the money to produce a well edited, well designed product, the people who matter, the readers, will never know the book was self-published. Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately for readers, the bulk of self published books are sub-par and can be spotted a hundred yards out by a one-eyed hobo (FYI, one-eyed hobo's happen to be the leading consumer of books ... I mean that literally ... books are a good source of fibre).

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
...but in following Kurzon's Idol analogy, the point is that we never judged a band till they actually played.

And as far as I can tell, no one's judging individual self-published books. However, we are saying that in general, there's a higher noise-to-signal ratio here, which may make readers understandably wary of spending time and money searching through self-published books to find the gems.

I suppose it's my idealism that puts me in the belief that professionals, in any industry, shouldn't dismiss on presumption or harbor thoughts of 'guilt by association'

Perhaps so. After struggling through those six self- and vanity-published books, I had precious little idealism left.

Jack Newcastle

Certified Malcontent
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thecad.net
Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately for readers, the bulk of self published books are sub-par and can be spotted a hundred yards out by a one-eyed hobo.

Absolutely correct, which again brings me to my usual gripe of 'adults ought to know better,' and here that applies to the entire chain: writers, agents, publishers, and printers. As for the last, having had a few POD volumes made up, I realize that the quality, even from the supposed best in the business (I'll keep them nameless here), just isn't there. The pages wouldn't settle. The spine of the hardback split after one reading. The cover wouldn't close. This all stems from the digital process and the adhesive binding. Why offer the process if the technology is not up to par? But even though I thought the poor quality was particular to the POD realm, a friend showed me a hardback bought only some months back. It was published by one of the major houses - I forget which - and it, too, was already in a sorry state. For the price of $25, I should think a hardback would last more than one reading, especially if it's from a major publisher. My point here is that if an agent or publisher is going to sneer at POD, then perhaps it might be best to look at the quality of their own work first.

Sorry if this all sounds arrogant and disdainful. It's just that I feel the quality of everything is going downhill - DVD players that skip, computer apps that don't work - and I'm mystified that those in the position to raise the bar continually fail to do so.

Kind regards,

Jack

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
If you're at all familiar with fanfic, you'll understand the stigma with self-publishing. There are a wide range of fanfic writers - from those who just do it for a giggle and don't care if only their friends read it all the way to those who spend months and years honing the craft, intending to move into completely original writing. In between are those who don't want to produce schlock but are still just doing it for fun, and those who think their stuff is beyond criticism (ie, they're doing the world a favor by writing). Despite all the variations in quality, fanfic is looked down on and insulted by a great many people.

Well - there you go. Self-publishing is basically the same situation. Because anyone can (and apparently does) self-publish, you get every level of quality in book and author. But who do people remember most? The ones that stink to high heaven. I write fanfic and I can count on one hand the authors who continually and consistently put out high quality writing, versus literally hundreds who put out the 'birdcage floor' stories.

It's hard to be found guilty by association, but after reading so many crap authors who are trying to convince people that they are God's gift to readers, it's understandable. It's going to take some mighty loud successes before people stop looking down their noses when they hear "self-published".

GradyHendrix

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
It's not about the writers, it's about the system, man!

Self-publishing is no different than a band playing shows and selling its CD or someone putting together an indie movie and trying to find a distributor. 90% of those bands stink on ice, 90% of those movies are hideous, 90% of those self-published books aren't worth the bytes they're made of.

But that final 10%? That's Fugazi. That's the Blair Witch Project. That's the next Michael Chabon.

The difference between film, music and books aren't the quality of what's being produced, but the means of distribution.

I worked as a writer covering the film industry for years and years (I still do, from time to time) and trust me: for every movie you see in theaters, there are 500 you don't. And for every movie that gets any release whatsoever (DTV, VOD, festival screening only) there are 100 that don't even make it that far. There are hard drives and storage vaults across this country full of movies that ran out of money before their final sound mix or color correction could be completed and have been seized by the lab. I run a film festival and go to a lot of the major markets and you'd be astounded to see how many, and how bad, the selection is out there.

Same with bands. Pick up an NYC paper. There are a few hundred performers putting on shows almost every Saturday night in the city, from jazz vocalists, to queercore bands, to DJ's, to classical quintets. And almost every single one of them will be selling a CD at their show. But the distribution channels of music, more than in any other art form, are divided so cleverly that if you're an early music fan you will never run across tracks from the biggest New Jersey punk outfit, but you will have access to almost every early music group of any value (and many of none) from around the world.

The problem with books is that it's still the Wild West. There is all kinds of access, so many channels for distribution, but not enough curation. Right now, the curators/gatekeepers are a tiny little band of well-paid publishers with high overhead who have done a lousy job of keeping up with technology.

The bigger question is who's out there in the Wild West curating the selfpublished stuff? Who's reliably calling attention to the wheat and pointing out that it's different from the chaff? Who is building a reputation as a critic or a curator with taste that can be trusted?

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
. . . Who's reliably calling attention to the wheat and pointing out that it's different from the chaff? Who is building a reputation as a critic or a curator with taste that can be trusted?
Publisher's Weekly and other recognized review venues. Self-publishers who do everything right can and do get reviewed in recognized venues. If they've done it right, there is no way to know that the author is also the publisher without investigating ownership of the publishing company (or quality of the product makes the overlap of no real interest even if known).

I've seen occasional reviews of self-published books -- recognizable as such -- in niche (F&SF, for example) and local (Sacramento Bee) periodicals. It is not necessary for the reviewers to distinguish the literary wheat from the chaff. They review books worth reviewing and have no need to contrast with others -- not in the sense you suggest, anyway. (They are not going to publish a list headed "The Following Are Chaff." Not worth the newsprint or bandwidth to do so.)

As for "reliability" -- dunno about that. Most commercially published books are not reviewed by the big venues (PW, NYT, etc.), as there are way, way, WAY too many of them. A far smaller proportion of self-published books presumably are even sent to such venues, let alone reviewed.

Maybe more on target for your question, though, ForeWord magazine is probably the go-to publication. Again, they would not be drawing invidious comparisons, which are not relevant to their mission, but rather reviewing books worth reviewing.

My views, FWIW.

--Ken

GradyHendrix

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I hear you...

...but it does help, especially in a field like self-publishing that wears a leper's bell more often than not, for critics to engage with the bad. It establishes a framework for their reviews, and when you're looking at a field like books in which there is so much product you often make the assumption that Book X has no review not because it's bad and the critic thought it wasn't worth engaging with, but because no one had time to review it.

You're right that the places you mention do review some self-published fiction (some!) but the fact remains that it's a distribution channel glutted with product that has few good reviewers tackling it on a consistent and reliable basis (ie, a dedicated, regular process of ongoing reviews from named reviewers whose taste you can determine and that stays consistent).

I keep thinking that the movement of the mob is one way of looking at what's popular on Smashwords but it would be nice to have the equivalent of Roger Ebert or Michiko Kakutani out there tackling this huge wad of self-published fiction.

You are definitely right from an aesthetic POV that there's no point in differentiating between self-published and not, but a lot of the early punk and music zines often reviewed label releases and homebrewed releases in separate columns because there are different expectations brought to both and it was a nice service to the consumer to note that.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Old Hack here at AW has a blog with reviews for self-published books sent to her:

http://theselfpublishingreview.blogspot.com/

From her site:

Here are the rules. You send me a copy of your self-published book, and I'll read it. If I like it I'll review it here, and will be generous with my praise.

What's the catch? I'm an editor, and expect published books to be polished. I'm going to count all the errors I find in spelling, punctuation and grammar and when I reach fifteen I'm going to stop reading. I'll work my way through up to five pages of boring prose or bad writing before I give up. And I'll list on this blog every single book I'm sent, including the books I've not completed, along with how far I got through each one.

I assume that people would send in their books for review only if they thought they were pretty good. Whether they're actually good, well . . .

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Ha! Thanks for posting a link to my blog, Bubastes. Just a heads-up: it's moving over to Wordpress tomorrow morning, so you'll need to change your links, everyone.

I used to get lots of press releases from self-published writers via Bostick Communications, which I blogged about on my How Publishing Really Works blog (see link below, and search for Bostick if you're interested). Then one of the writers who found me via Bostick's mailing list (I don't know how I ended up on it, by the way) complained about my rather negative review, and Bostick took my email address off its lists. Never mind. Since that happened the general standard of the books I've received for review has improved slightly: but the percentage of good books I get is still nowhere near the ten per cent that GradyHenrix suggested in comment number 15 in this thread.

Despite enjoying some of the books I've reviewed, I've not yet read a single one which I think would have done well if commercially published; they're just not consistent enough, well-enough written, and so on.

Every time I get a new book for review I hope to have a gem in my hands. Every time, so far, I've been disappointed. I hope that that will change soon: meanwhile, I soldier on.

kurzon

Registered
Reaction score
^ Heh - I'm currently re-reading my Ngaio Marsh collection and I've been amazed at the number of typos (type-setting errors I would presume) in this many-times reprinted author's books. I expect published books to be polished, too, but sometimes it seems it doesn't happen.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I recently re-read a hugely successful trade-published book which has been in print for the last quarter-century. It had a lot of typos--I stopped counting them when I hit thirty in the first 150 pages.

The problems that I take the most notice of when I review self-published books are far more significant than typos, though. Despite my outwardly tough stance I do overlook typos if they're few, and I do my best to be generous towards the writers who have the courage to send me their books. The real problem with most of the books that I've reviewed is that they're badly written: they're confusing, contradictory, they use words which don't actually mean what the writers think they mean, they're dull, plodding and repetitive and so on, often with completely ridiculous plots or premises.

I'd love to have something really, spectacularly good to review: but it's not happened yet; and two of the writers I've recommeneded have since contacted me privately to tell me that with hindsight they don't think they deserved my praise as they've since re-edited their books and realise now how flawed they are.

Sheryl Nantus

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
The real problem with most of the books that I've reviewed is that they're badly written: they're confusing, contradictory, they use words which don't actually mean what the writers think they mean, they're dull, plodding and repetitive and so on, often with completely ridiculous plots or premises.

I think *this* gets overlooked a lot when people compare self-publishing to traditional - there's got to be someone who will look at your work with an unbiased eye and say "No. That Does Not Work." and flip it back to you without fear of retribution or you dropping them from Facebook or whatnot.

Editors do this. Agents do this. Friends, family and beta readers rarely tell you the truth because they love you and don't want to hurt you. There's nothing wrong with that but when you shove your work out into the world you should give it the best chance to be accepted and enjoyed by the most amount of people. And when you've got plot holes larger than my tushie and plain old bad writing...

*shrugs*

I know the current craze is to denounce all these "gatekeepers" as evil ogres keeping you from your True Calling. But they're also there to make you *work* for your writing credit, not hand it over to you like a prize out of a Cracker Jack box.

"Blaze of Glory", my science-fiction/fantasy with Samhain, needed a major rewrite before I was offered a contract. After that the editor beat it into shape by pointing out inconsistent statements, plot holes and timing errors. I was blind to these. If I had tossed it out there I doubt it'd be as successful as it is and I *know* I wouldn't have improved as much as a writer as I have in the last year.

For some people it works - they have the support system, the experience and the ability to make a self-pub work. For the majority, from what I've seen, it's more of a "write the book on Monday, post it on Friday and wait for the money to roll in".

Here's a great blog post that I thought laid it out... the title does have swearing in it, so NSFW.

Jack Newcastle

Certified Malcontent
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thecad.net
I know the current craze is to denounce all these "gatekeepers" as evil ogres keeping you from your True Calling. But they're also there to make you *work* for your writing credit, not hand it over to you like a prize out of a Cracker Jack box.

No, they save that prize for giggly schoolgirl bloggers, ineloquent rappers, and reality show cast-offs. Harsh, but I'm afraid that's the truth.

Look, being a comedy writer, I'm as much for escapism as anyone else, but there's only so much money and shelf space to go around, so whom they sign does affect your career as a writer. Do you agonize over restrictive versus non-restrictive clauses? Do you agonize over the intricacies of plot and characterization? I'm certain Little Miss Jersey Shore doesn't, and frankly, as a writer who has intensely studied the craft, I'm insulted when I read of another illiterate who has just got (or gotten, depending on your view of the British vs. American past perfect) a book deal. If this is the sort of tripe that agents are promoting, then I believe they should just own up to it and say, "This is tripe." Accept who you are. Stop pretending you're literate and that a four-year degree proves it. Read my above post: adults ought to know better.

Kind regards,

Jack

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
Do you agonize over the intricacies of plot and characterization? I'm certain Little Miss Jersey Shore doesn't, and frankly, as a writer who has intensely studied the craft, I'm insulted when I read of another illiterate who has just got (or gotten, depending on your view of the British vs. American past perfect) a book deal.

Since literate people also get book deals, I can't say that I feel particularly insulted.

Sheryl Nantus

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Read my above post: adults ought to know better.

Some do, some don't. Some like reading trashy novels by celebrities, some prefer the classics. So it goes, as Father Kurt would say.

But not all books coming out of NYC are automatically crap. "Water for Elephants". "Devil in the White City". "Memoirs of a Geisha". Right off the top of my head and without glancing at my bookshelf. I've got plenty more on my Nook and on my shelves along with Harlequin romances and science fiction novels.

You seem to have this preconceived notion that all agents and publishers are "crap". May I ask where you got this from?

Status
Not open for further replies.