Seriously, who wallpapers...

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Liquid fabric softener is great for removing wallpaper. Not too sure about regular white glue though

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I'm so sorry. Removing wallpaper is near the top of my THINGS-I-HATE-TO-DO list. I was so glad when we moved into a new house a few years ago...I'll never have to remove wallpaper again. Sounds like yours is the worst kind, too. Think of the outcome and how happy you will be to have your wall back.

tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Southern California between the Desert and the Mou
Website
www.facebook.com
I'm so sorry. Removing wallpaper is near the top of my THINGS-I-HATE-TO-DO list. I was so glad when we moved into a new house a few years ago...I'll never have to remove wallpaper again. Sounds like yours is the worst kind, too. Think of the outcome and how happy you will be to have your wall back.

Funny you should say that. We almost didn't buy this house because of the two walls with wallpaper. I can't stand wallpaper or removing it (and this is a sick modeled green) and I've been putting this off for a year.

But, the fabric softener smells better than the stripper and seems to be working better. I've also found out my walls were once nicotine yellow and Barney purple. Wow.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
You can dissolve powdered detergent in water and spray it on the wallpaper, and then remove it with a spackle knife

There are wallpaper potions that are more or less the same thing for a lot of money

Let it sit for ten minutes, but dont let it dry

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Aye, yi, hi. I hate having to undo/fix other people's stuff! What a major pain.

My last house the paneling had been glued with some type of adhesive and it was easier to rip out the entire walls down to the studs! Then we found the insulation was two inches thick and had been pressed in nice and tight ...

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a fan, either.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I once stripped 7 layers of paper off the walls of my flat. It was like going back through time...

And the original wall had been painted in brown and beige chevrons. 12 inches wide. N-i-i-i-ce.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Wallpaper done by a pro is incredible, but people rarely pay what a real good one charges. I watched my boss do Dustin Hoffman's kid's bedroom before I realized how much really goes into it.

Dude went to school for a year and a half to learn it, and it showed. It was a beautiful job

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Oh, the joys of moving into someone else's remodeling tries.

Paint over wallpaper, wallpaper on textured walls (like the OP has), ancient dirty rugs stapled down around the rooms, grease so caked on the stove top you need a screwdriver and hammer to get it off.

But once it's done, and done right, it'll be worth all the aggravation.

Stock up on beer and wine.

Last edited:

ajkjd01

I just have to be faster.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.addiejking.wordpress.com
When I went househunting a couple of years ago, I found a house that had wallpaper....only in the closets. And in the closets, they did the walls and the ceilings.

I was very happy to find a different house. One with only a few wallpaper borders that came down very easily.