is it okay to seek out multiple publishers

cooks

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there...I just have a question regarding author-publisher ethics. I'm a published author and have been with the same publisher. I have a good relationship with my editor and am very happy with them and the quality in which they produce my books. My question is-I currently have two other completed manuscripts that I would like to submit to a few different publishers to see if they would be interested in my work. Is it wrong to seek out other publishers while working with one? I don't want to come out and ask my editor-in-chief in fear that I will insult him or make him feel like I don't value our work relationship. Is it unethical to submit manuscripts to different publishing companies while already working with one, and should I be informing my present editor that I am doing so? I definitely do not wish to stop working with them, I just interested in exploring other options...will this destroy my previous relationship/book deals with my previous publisher?

In case your wondering why I would be seeking out other publishers while working with one I adore--the other publishing houses that I'm interested in do have a larger distribution.

Last edited:

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
What does your last contract say? I can't speak for nonfiction, but it's pretty common for fiction contracts to have a clause that gives your current publisher right of first refusal on your next manuscript. If that's in there, then you have to submit to your current editor first.

If not, you're getting into murky waters. You don't want to completely bypass someone you've worked with before, because you could strain that relationship, and publishing is a pretty small world. On the other hand, you admit that you're interested in exploring larger houses and expanding your options a bit. There really isn't an easy answer to this.

cooks

Registered
Reaction score
What does your last contract say? I can't speak for nonfiction, but it's pretty common for fiction contracts to have a clause that gives your current publisher right of first refusal on your next manuscript. If that's in there, then you have to submit to your current editor first.

If not, you're getting into murky waters. You don't want to completely bypass someone you've worked with before, because you could strain that relationship, and publishing is a pretty small world. On the other hand, you admit that you're interested in exploring larger houses and expanding your options a bit. There really isn't an easy answer to this.

Regarding your first question, there is no clause in the contract stating that my current publisher has any rights to future work, which alllows me to submit to other publishers, but I don't know if it's ethical to do so before discussing it with my present editor. Is there anything wrong with testing the waters?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
There's usually a clause stating that the publisher gets first crack at your next book. Sometimes this is type specific in nonfiction, or genre specific in fiction, and sometimes not, but the clause is usually there in some form.

But even when it is, this should not mean the publisher automatically gets the book. The publisher just gets to make the first offer. You should still be free to look for a better offer, which the first publisher can match or exceed.

If there is no such clause, you can shop the book wherever you like, but it's always a good idea to tell the editor. He won't bite you.

Miriel

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Do you have an agent? He/she would probably have some ideas.