An Irish superstition about saying goodbye

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I seem to recall, from an old Disney film, an Irish superstition about watching someone leave.

It was something along the lines that you should never watch someone leave because they will never return, if you do.

Does that ring a bell with anyone?

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
yep. and you never close thier bedroom doors when they leave because it means you don't think they are coming home again.

There's also something about saying goodbye, that you shouldn't say goodbye, but instead something like 'i'll see you later/soon', which implies that it's not forever. But I can't remember it fully. I'[ll check with my granny.

firedrake

Registered
Reaction score
yep. and you never close thier bedroom doors when they leave because it means you don't think they are coming home again.

There's also something about saying goodbye, that you shouldn't say goodbye, but instead something like 'i'll see you later/soon', which implies that it's not forever. But I can't remember it fully. I'[ll check with my granny.

Ah, bless you.

Thanks!

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Never say goodbye (too final) and never say take care (you should leave your cares behind), say fare well (for a good journey) or godspeed (for a quick return).

firedrake

Registered
Reaction score
Never say goodbye (too final) and never say take care (you should leave your cares behind), say fare well (for a good journey) or godspeed (for a quick return).

Brilliant!

Shaldna, I like the bedroom door superstition, given this is an erotic novel, I think that would fit in very well.

Thank you ladies.

xxx

Reaction score
Don't say "Goodbye;" say "Feck off!"
FatherJack.jpg

firedrake

Registered
Reaction score
Reaction score
I think 'feck off', 'drink' and 'arse' are pretty much this novel's synopsis, from what I've read of the book so far.

Reaction score
Hey, it's a compliment. I can't think of anything I like better than a novel in the feck off/drink/arse genre.

shaldna

Registered
Reaction score
I LOVE MY BRICK!

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Behave yourself or the nuns will take you to St Clabbert's

Reaction score
I'M SO SOOOOO SORRY.

*makes rabbit ears with fingers and shows buck teeth*

shaldna

Registered
Reaction score
Following this thread I am going to snuggle down this evening with my new husband and watch our Father Ted boxset.

Reaction score
Will you have a cup of tea, there, shaldna? Ah, go on. Go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Sorry to break into the jollifications...

but isn't there an old Irish farewell on the lines of 'May the road lead you safely and deliver you home to us again' or words to that effect?

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
I seem to recall, from an old Disney film, an Irish superstition about watching someone leave.

It was something along the lines that you should never watch someone leave because they will never return, if you do.

Does that ring a bell with anyone?

Yes.

My Irish Granny would never watch us leave. She would wave as we went to the car and then either turn away or go back inside.