What Color should I dye my hair for 2011?

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One of my resolutions this year is to have more fun. Therefore, I have decided that it is in everyone's best interest that I dye my graying temples a fun color. I propose to get some fun blue highlights. What colors do you suggest? My thanks in advance. The color that is most picked is the color I shall dye my hair. Now make it fun. Green, pink, purple, blue. My preferance is blue, but I leave it up to you. I'll post a pic as my new avi once the deed is done. Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Blue fades to green, so I'd avoid it unless you're able to put the time, effort and money into maintenance.

Having said that, your roots will show through whatever colour you go, so you'll need to maintain or dye back.

I vote purple. All the cool kids have purple hair.

(Yes I do have a box of dye in my bathroom).

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... well I was going to vote for blue. I really dig that color the few times I've seen people with hair of the sort. Doesn't sound to practical though in view of the above. So maybe yellow instead. That's sorta like blonde, but much brighter! Great new year to you, btw :)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Purple fades to weak pink (I've seen it happen). You're better off going with Electric Pink right off the bat, with dark blue streaks through it.

If you get it all dyed at the same time, then it should start to fade at the same time. It won't look pretty, so as soon as it is on the way out, dye the whole thing black.

Wait. Don't do that! That's what I'm planning on doing once I'm rich enough to be more eccentric than crazy!

:)

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
What about gray? Nobody ever seems to dye their hair gray.

Just think. You could initiate a whole new trend.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What about gray? Nobody ever seems to dye their hair gray.

Just think. You could initiate a whole new trend.

Yeah, I could just wait a couple more years and save the money on the dye for that.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One of the hottest looks I've ever seen was on a friend who, at 21, dyed her hair silver. She wore her hair in a Louise Brooks bob and dressed in matador jackets and boots. *sigh*

Oh, right. I vote silver, or crimson. Or both.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would rather face the color fading to green than to the other choices, so I vote for blue. Plus, my stepson did some strands in blue and it looked awesome.

Though I also like the idea of silver and crimson. I love purple, but would have a problem with it fading to pink. You are just not, in my estimation, a pink kinda gal. ;)

Perhaps you can do strands in different colors? Whatever you do, it is a great idea to give yourself a new style for the New Year. Good luck with it and have fun!

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I went white once. I looked sort of like Freeze Miester, but it was fun for awhile. The only problem with "unnatural colors" is the upkeep. My hair is brownish, but when those roots grew out they looked pitch black. (Which made for another bitchin' look for a couple of weeks, but then it just started to look strange.)

If it's just a few strands though, any color you pick should work out just fine. I like purple.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
I'd go for orange using henna - reason? Henna is a natural dye and is kinder to hair than chemicals (well, I think so and I used it for over forty years!) Henna comes in various colours - so you could play about a bit. I grew the henna/orange out about last year and found that my hair is now a silvery white which I really like. I also do not have to worry about roots.

Crayonz

Tribal Flame Warden Ducky
Registered
Reaction score
Every one of the choices in alternating streaks or highlights. ;)

Otherwise, I gotta say pink. If you start with a really bright pink, it'll just fade lighter and not change to a whole 'nother color.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Blonde. Eleventy billion men can't all be wrong.

:)

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
White and black! I'm old school; that may be totally passe nowadays (ask me if I care). But you'd look really good like that!

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How about red? Redheads have more fun!

BeatrixKiddo

Is it summer yet???
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
From the picture in your avatar, it looks as if you already have some red in your natural hair color? I've always loved redheads (mostly because I always wanted red hair).

I think you should try a rich burgundy color. I bet that would look good on you.

Or, you could try the wig route just to see what kind of "bright" colors might look interesting before you try a dye.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I've found that I can dye my hair any colour and not have people accuse me of copying a celebrity. If they say, "Oh, you know, Dick Cheney had that very same orange," I can honestly say, "Who? What? Do you have a picture? *looks at picture* That bastard stole my look!"

In other words, I don't know what colour hair celebrities have. It's impossible to copy what you've never seen before.