Who do you write like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

branchwag

Re-writer Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
I was blog-surfing and came across this site which I thought was rather interesting. It takes your writing (I pasted in the first chapter of my WIP) and finds what famous writer you write most like. I ended up getting Dan Brown, which I hope is true. xD Would anyone else like to try and how accurate do you think this thing is? And, while we're on the topic, has anyone ever told you that you write like someone else? If so, who? Did you think it was true?

krissybrady

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.krissybrady.com
What a fun website! I pasted chapter 1 of my novel into their form, and I apparently write like Stephenie Meyer, which is funny, since I haven't read any of her books, lol! I have a big "Need To Read" list for 2011, so I'd better add her titles. :)

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
I tried three different short stories of mine and got:

• Annie Rice
  • Isaac Asimov
  • Ernest Hemingway

Now I'm wondering. If any of those three authors (if they hadn't already croaked) dropped one of their stories into this web page, would it have burped and told them that they write like me?

Oh, and the funny thing ... or not ... that last story I put in was entitled Hemingway's Ashtray and it came up with the great man himself.

On the positive side, at least two of them wrote some wonderful short stories.

I also pasted in a draft novel chapter and got:

• Raymond Chandler

How about that? Most of the people I write like have been pushing up daisies for years. Maybe I need to inject more life into my writing?

That novel chapter, I'm going to come back and try it again when it's been edited and revised, if it makes the cut.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Stephen King. So I'm Getrude Stein (from the other one) mixed with Stephen King :) :) That's a combo!

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
Stephen King. So I'm Getrude Stein (from the other one) mixed with Stephen King :) :) That's a combo!
Stein died before King was born, so we can probably rule out your being their secret love child, given up for adoption at birth. But if they'd had one ...

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I'd love to see a blog post from one of the authors used as a result on this thing saying what results they got if they put in an unpublished snip. I'd bet neither JK Rowling nor Neil Gaiman get themselves as their match.

milly

seeing sparks
Registered
Reaction score
Charles Baxter :)

(I wish...hehe)

Greenify13

Fair Maiden of War.
Registered
Reaction score
:ROFL:

"Annie" Rice and Arthur Clarke. Intersting, however I wasn't planning to put any stock in this even before seeing BigWords post, why would I? It's Anne Rice, fool.

:ROFL:

I put in the first page of a business plan and got H.P. Lovecraft...oh the horrors, the horrors...What was I thinking? :ROFL:

Though, I must say, these things can be fun...:D

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
I got tagged with Mario Puzo, Stephen King and H.G. Wells.
If this is thing is accurate, why aren't I famous?
Many years ago an archbishop told me he thought I was going places. Oddly, he didn't say in which direction!
C

Last edited:

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
I tried with the first page, a middle page and the most recent page of my current rough draft.

I got Margette Mitchell on all three. Interesting.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... wonder if any writers have made mention, when sub'ing to publishers?
"Dear Editor: You should publish my novel. According to a website I write like Stephen King!"

branchwag

Re-writer Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Lol! xD I really hope that someone doesn't do that. I posted in a short story of mine and got a different result the second time of James Joyce. Seeing that this thing doesn't take voice and plot into account, I'd say it's not accurate now, but it's fun to paste little tidbits in. ;)

Stijn Hommes

Know what you write...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.peccarymagazine.5u.com
I pasted my published flash and my second place-winning entry in an "On the Premises" mini-contest and got Cory Doctorow for both of them. I'm not sure how many different results are possible, but two hits on the same author is just plain weird.

Another unpublished short story yielded Chuck Palahniuk as the result. The opening paragraphs of a historical mystery WIP resulted in Shakespeare.

I've never read Palahniuk, but if the comments I heard about are anything to go by, I like these results. I also wonder if I'll get another Doctorow judgement if I finish and polish those unpublished manuscripts.

Last edited:

Rebekah7

Unofficial Jester
Registered
Reaction score
I decided to enter my horror WIP into the box:

I got Annie Rice (I guess that's what people call Anne rice after a few drinks. "Hey Annie!") for the first part of my WIP.

I got Kurt Vonnegut for the second part.

And I got Rudyard Kipling for both parts combined, and for the whole WIP.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's not even close to being an accurate gauge of your work Read this.

I wasn't aware anyone took that site seriously. I tried it for S&G (s**ts and giggles), knowing that I write like the authors I read and admire the most.

Jim's rundown of the site in your link is helpful. "Follow the money" is as true today as it was in Watergate's time.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I wasn't aware anyone took that site seriously.

Most people will approach something like that with the right mindset, though there are always those who would accept, without question, the results they are given. It's better to explicitly make people aware of the deficiencies of something such as Who Do You Write Like than hope for common sense to be employed across all users.

Some poor sap, at this very moment, will be under the illusion that they are in possession of the greatest manuscript on the last decade thanks to the way the site encourages participants to view their work. I was erring on the side of caution by bringing the motivation of the site's creators to light.

The Grump

Hates Marketing. Loves Writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mktheodoratus.com
I'm schizoid. Who I write like depends on the various passages I've submitted. I don't think any two were alike. At least, I think I'm original.

Status
Not open for further replies.