Losing a limb/paralympics

PrincessTeacake

Registered
Reaction score
One of the main characters in a story I'm brainstorming at the moment has lost his right hand. He's a teenager and it's taken him a year to come to terms with the loss, and training for the paralympics has been a big part of this.

My problem is, I don't know whether I should give the character a prosthetic limb or a hook to aid daily life, or what other incidental things I should consider. And my knowledge of the ins and outs of the paralympics is very limited.

Is there anyone on this site who has any insight to lend me? And also, is there anything about my approach to the story that might offend someone who's lost a limb?

Kenn

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I think you have to be very careful about choosing an event in the paralympics. While the loss of a right hand might be a major loss to you or I, to some of the athletes it would be nothing. As such, there are strict eligiblity criteria and the following site is worth a look. There is something for eligibility in each criterion if you click down. Swimming might be a possibility.
http://www.paralympics.org.uk/landing.asp?section=000100010005&sectionTitle=Sports

I haven't met a lot of people who have lost limbs, but those I have met have almost been proud of their loss. One I know introduced himself as "lefty" and another demonstrated his false leg by knocking on it. I imagine the ones likely to become offended are those that are still coming to terms with their handicap.

Last edited:

Elias Graves

Unrealistically Optimistic
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure that a traditional "hook" is widely used today. Most people will end up with a myoelectric device that offers at least some rudimentary pincher grip.
Look at a web site for Otto Bock prosthetics. These guys make some pretty amazing stuff, including the C Leg. The first computerized prosthetic knee that allows the user to handle stairs naturally, without a "step to" gait. One saved a guy's life coming down out of the WTC on 9/11.
Also check out the Paralympics web site. That'll give you many answers about what they do.

EG

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
I swam with a guy in college who was very involved in the Paralympics - we even went to Atlanta to see him compete, which was pretty cool. I think someone who's only missing a hand would be at the highest functional level (S9, I think it was called?)

My friend was missing both legs below the knee and had a withered right hand - he had all sorts of prosthesis, including a crappy old pair of legs without feet that he wore around the water. (He was also a trickster, and used to do this like stick his 'feet' under car tires to freak out the owners.) He could've worn a prosthesis on the withered hand if he'd wanted to, but he made do just fine with the other, so I don't think he wanted to bother with it.

The guy was pretty impossible to offend, although I did a good job the day we met by assuming he'd swim slower than I did on the first day of practice. He blew past me to show me how wrong I was lol.

That said, he'd been born with his condition, it wasn't a loss, per se, so I imagine it'd be different for someone who had.

HTH

Last edited:

Elias Graves

Unrealistically Optimistic
Registered
Reaction score
Different people develop different ways of dealing with it. Some develop a sense of humor about it; the trickster and the gallows humor sping immediately to mind. Some become overly sensitive and yet others just go about the business of living life.

EG

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
I saw Josh Sundquist, a former paralympic skier, speak a conference. He lost his leg to cancer as a child--and well, watch the video on his site. Absolutely amazing--and I saw this speech in person. He has a book out that you can get that will probably give you some things to think about. If memory serves, I think there was a photo of him with an artificial leg, but he doesn't need it (like I said, watch the video).