Lessons Boys Can Learn From Jane Austen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chancerychislett

better at querying than writing...
Registered
Reaction score
So, Austenites, what do you think are some of the best lessons modern boys could learn from Jane's works?

Please cite the novel and why you think so.

(This is for a preliminary book idea I have...not sure if this is the right forum, but let's roll with it ;D)

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Probably mostly the same lessons girls could learn...

Not judging based on partial knowledge - P&P
Loyalty and letting go of grudges - Persuasion
Compassion and not choosing the shiny option all the time - S&S
Minding your own business (sometimes) - Emma
It's been too long since I read Mansfield Park. I'm sure there's something...

But in terms of learning to act like the male characters? Tricky. First the boys would have to get stinking rich, and then travel back in time. If they can master all that, they'd probably be better off staying here and enjoying the dental care and sanitation.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... it's funny, but one of the primary lessons in Austen's books (read them all myself) is for men to look beyond class structure and see the inherent value in people when looking for mates. It's a great lesson, except that there's no longer a class structure in many societies. So I guess that wouldn't do. Lots of other lessons to be learnt from her books though. So I'm sure you'll come up with enough. G'luck.

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not being a smart aleck (well, not completely), but how are you going to get boys to read Jane Austen? I'm assuming you really do mean boys, not just males in general. I'm sure a very small percentage would, but I think most boys would rather eat a live frog than have to read an Austen book.

I'm not making a judgment about the value of Austen's books (I read some of them, when I was older), just stating an opinion.

Last edited:

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure a very small percentage would, but I think most boys would rather eat a live frog than have to read an Austen book.

Agreed. The lesson the majority of boys would learn from Austen is how much they hate her books.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Don't diss rich relatives unless you're independently wealthy. (S&S, uh oh, Willoughby; P&P, Darcy can diss whomever he likes.)

If your girlfriend puts your most deeply held convictions down, she's not for you despite her sparkliness. (Mansfield Park)

If you're trying to get one girl, don't screw her cousin. (Mansfield Park.)

You're not as clever as you think. (Emma, re Frank Churchill.)

Walking everywhere instead of riding in your carriage like a gentleman will give you great legs and glutes. (Emma, re Mr. Knightley.)

Catching large falling objects, like girls, doesn't always work out. (Persuasion, ouch.)

Don't walk off with your sister's book -- she'll never forget it. (Northanger Abbey.)

Don't propose in a letter, especially when your intended has busybody friends. (Emma.)

Don't make snide remarks about a girl when there's any possibility she'll overhear you. Especially when she can run rings around you, sarcasm-wise. (P&P.)

Steady and sturdy affection may win out over glitz in the end, but only if the girl gets a really bad cold. (S&S.)

Living beyond your means/gambling: These habits really suck. (S&S, Mansfield Park, Persuasion, P&P -- but Trollope is the champion at pounding this truth home.)

Make sure you don't marry a pretty but silly woman, unless you're pretty and silly, too. (P&P; S&S re the Palmers; Mansfield Park, though Sir Thomas seems to have reconciled himself to Lady B.)

Last edited:

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That, once they've been convinced to marry below their station for love and raised children to marrying age, their wives will have developed into shrill harpies who obsess about marrying off the favourite daughter (the other ones, meh).

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Boys won't read Jane Austen? You all must know different boys than I do, and those boys certainly must be in different schools than we have. Boys here have to read Austen, and those who like reading, like Austen.

What a boy can learn from these books is what a good story is, and how to write one that will outlive them.

chancerychislett

better at querying than writing...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not trying to personally get boys to read Jane Austen. It's for a fiction novel

I'm not being a smart aleck (well, not completely), but how are you going to get boys to read Jane Austen? I'm assuming you really do mean boys, not just males in general. I'm sure a very small percentage would, but I think most boys would rather eat a live frog than have to read an Austen book.

I'm not making a judgment about the value of Austen's books (I read some of them, when I was older), just stating an opinion.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Oh. I thought it was for a nonfiction novel. ;)

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Meh, I had to read so much about kings and brothers and wars and soldiers in school as a young girl. Of course boys can learn from Austen's writing. It's about people going through what people used to go through. And the lessons are applicable today, as many folks upthread have mentioned.

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
Ask yourself what lessons *girls* can learn from Shakespeare, or Twaine, or Vonnegut, or other "classic" (white male) writers. Oh, maybe good prose, insight into the human condition, and an appreciation for great stories.

PEBKAC2

Will crit for food.
Registered
Reaction score
Even if you're a middle-aged man, it's OK to go after high-school age girls?

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Living beyond your means/gambling: These habits really suck. (S&S, Mansfield Park, Persuasion, P&P -- but Trollope is the champion at pounding this truth home.)

But what if I've already learned how to live well on nothing a year from Thackeray?

Status
Not open for further replies.