Test, this is just a test. Test, Test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronald fenton

Banned
Reaction score
I am a professional farrier. Without looking it up, do you have any idea about what it is that I do for a living? This is an important question, although it may not appear to be so important.

I'm a writer as well. I work as a farrier on week-ends from Friday night until Monday morning. I make a good living working as a week-end farrier.

I write from Monday night to Friday night. I'm not trying to sell any of my writing - yet. I save everything that I write. My plan is to write until I retire, then spend my retirement years selling my writing. I've been writing for 20 years. I'm going to retire in July of this year, even though I'm only 55. I made a small fortune smuggling marijuana in my youth. I got caught and had all my property seized, but i had assets hidden. I did 10 years behind bars and changed my ways. I quit smuggling and went to farrier school. For the past 20 years I've saved almost a million dollars working as a farrier. I earn in excess of 100k a year. It's a great living.

This "IS" the break room, correct? Take a break and let me know if you have any idea about what it is that i do all week-end.
I'm often tempted to write a story about a farrier. I always try to incorporate a farrier into my stories. Or at least mention the profession. It might seem to be a boring profession, but I've had numerous thrilling experiences. I know that Brits and Aussies will know what a farrier is, but I'd be surprized if the average American writer has any idea.

I'm just curious about the overall knowledge of the writing community.

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I think almost anyone who grew up in the country (as I did) would know, and anyone who knows about horses, and a lot of other people would as part of their general knowledge. Some people might need a hint ("It has to do with horses") before they'd remember.

Deleted member 42

The site owner, MacAllister, is a farrier.

Farriers shoe horses and such and also trim hooves.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I liked that comment that "Anyone in Australia or England would know what a farrier was". Because I'm Australian and had no bloody idea what you were talking about.

From the responses in this thread, I can see what one is, but it wasn't previous knowledge. AND my family grew up with horses. Sis and mum used to ride them, and they owned usually 3 at a time.

But me? I didn't like horses much, rode one once, fell off, and just didn't get excited about horse-related stuff afterwards.

Go Australia...

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and my brother is dating a horse trainer.

There are horses all through my life, but only because of family. And yet no knowledge of what a farrier was...

How can I ever trust sweeping generalisations again? *Woe!*

Jessianodel

Blessed by the AW Gods
Registered
Reaction score
The only reason I know is because I watch Animal Planet and Discovery Channel. A lot.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I knew what is was and met a couple, but I've only heard the word and had no idea how it was spelled :D

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
...I did 10 years behind bars and changed my ways. I quit smuggling and went to farrier school. For the past 20 years I've saved almost a million dollars working as a farrier...
The time-line you've covered here seems to conflict with your introductory post of last week, in which you said, "Spent most of my life behind bars."

In addition, you mentioned then that you "Couldn't get a job or place to live because people google and judge." So based on that statement, how is it that, "For the past 20 years I've saved almost a million dollars working as a farrier."?

Something doesn't add up here. Perhaps you can clarify that given your age (fifty-five) and time spent in prison (most of your life), how it could have afforded you the past twenty years to work as a farrier?

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
I am a professional farrier. Without looking it up, do you have any idea about what it is that I do for a living? This is an important question, although it may not appear to be so important.

I'm a writer as well. I work as a farrier on week-ends from Friday night until Monday morning. I make a good living working as a week-end farrier.

I write from Monday night to Friday night. I'm not trying to sell any of my writing - yet. I save everything that I write. My plan is to write until I retire, then spend my retirement years selling my writing. I've been writing for 20 years. I'm going to retire in July of this year, even though I'm only 55. I made a small fortune smuggling marijuana in my youth. I got caught and had all my property seized, but i had assets hidden. I did 10 years behind bars and changed my ways. I quit smuggling and went to farrier school. For the past 20 years I've saved almost a million dollars working as a farrier. I earn in excess of 100k a year. It's a great living.

This "IS" the break room, correct? Take a break and let me know if you have any idea about what it is that i do all week-end.
I'm often tempted to write a story about a farrier. I always try to incorporate a farrier into my stories. Or at least mention the profession. It might seem to be a boring profession, but I've had numerous thrilling experiences. I know that Brits and Aussies will know what a farrier is, but I'd be surprized if the average American writer has any idea.

I'm just curious about the overall knowledge of the writing community.
You make hats?

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Clearly I'm doin' it wrong.

I'm perpetually dealing with people who stand me up, cancel appointments, blow off appointments, bounce checks, or lie about their horse's issues. Sometimes all of the above. There's a couple of rescue cases I do for free. I have a pretty good handful of regular, dependable, reliable, bill-paying clients who are worth their weight in gold - but the money would be likely better and a lot more reliable (and easier on my back and hands, and a LOT warmer in the winter) if I was a receptionist or a barista somewhere.

But then, I'm just a freelance part-timer. I only shoe on weekends.

Last edited:

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
Yes, but the rest of the time, you get to hang out with us!! Which... is probably not all that fulfilling.... more like herding kittens, as a certain redhead would say....

Now excuse me, I'm going to Narnia.... via p&ce....

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I was curious how a weekend job could net you a million dollars...

Unfortunately, I wondered that while I was out, and then didn't come back online till recently, so I didn't get the honour of being the first person to question it... *sigh*

Maybe I should become a farrier and buy England?

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Well, to be fair, it is just a test. Test, test :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.