What's your favorite cartoon?

Rhubix

New kid, critique harshly!
Registered
Reaction score
This board needs a cartoon injection. :snoopy:

My favorite feature is Miyazaki's Spirited Away. It has everything I think belongs in an animated movie, fabulous art work, captivating outlandish story, and lovable characters.

My favorite series is Nickelodeon's Avatar. The first season is a little slow to get started but after season 2 it just becomes a rock-star show. The animation is increasingly good with each episode and the epic 2 part ending is feature quality.
I love the characters and want to be just like Toph when I grow up.

My favorite shorts are any with the Road Runner and Wile E. That's just good sold funny right there. :hooray:

What's yours?

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... Road Runner is cool :)
My favorites are "Looney Tunes" with Buggs and Daffy and "Tom & Jerry."
Man, are those shows funny! :-D

My favorite recent cartoon is "Diary of a Teenage Robot." Neat show. Can relate to her outcast status.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
My all time favorite cartoon is Ren and Stimpy. Though I also like Looney Tunes, Home Movies, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Family Guy and Futurama ro name a few.

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Favorite animated film--Spirited Away. Already wrote about the film elsewhere, so I'll just say I agree with Rhubix. Grave of the Fireflies and Fantastic Planet are close seconds.

Favorite anime series--.hack/SIGN. A polarizing show for some anime fans because of its almost total lack of action and its slow place, but this tale of a youth, maybe a boy, maybe a girl, lost inside a MMOPRG because of the abuse he/she has suffered in parental hands is still the best thing I've ever seen (moreso than even the great Ghost in the Shell franchise) on the emotional connection between technology and the lost souls who sometimes come to depend on it when life fails them.

Favorite non-anime series--except for the classic Peanuts Holiday specials (adult woes as lived out by children) no one outside of anime has bettered Merrie Melodies, Silly Symphonies, and Looney Tunes, with their joyous, life-affirming chaos. Though the Fleischer Popeye cartoons come pretty close.

Dodge

Sparks fly off my pages!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dodgewinston.com
I grew up on Saturday morning cartoons and after school cartoons as well. T.V. was a big deal in some ways. There were so many great cartoons... the old Bugs Bunny and friends, the original Scooby Doo, Tarzan - Lord of the Jungle, the original Robotech... so hard to make a choice... I'll have to go with, Bugs Bunny and all those characters.

Psybolt

Embrace Your Geekness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
embraceyourgeekness.ning.com
I would toss a vote out for The Tick. The big blue super hero who was bounding from roof top to roof top in his never ending quest to bring a large heaping spoonful of justice to his mistress, The City.

SPOOOOOOON

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
But, to add my choices from the obvious (Avatar), I'd also like to bring to light my favorite old time saturday morning cartoon show.

CAPTAIN SIMIAN AND THE SPAAAAAAAAACE MONKIES.

This show was amazing. Seriously, amazing. Firstly, it starred Jerry Doyle (Michal Garibaldi from Babylon 5), Maurice LaMarsh (Brain from Pinky and the Brain), Michael Dorn (Warf from Star Trek TNG) and Malcolm McDowell (From Time after Time, Fallout 3, A Clockwork Orange, and a billion other awesome things).

And more, it was STUFFED with awesomely obscure and clever sci-fi references. Like, I have no idea how the hell they pitched it for kids, but the damn thing is filled with throwaway jokes referring to planet of the apes, star trek, Alien (heck, there's a whole episode that riffs on Alien), I have no mouth and I must scream, I robot, 2001, and Aliens.

I cannot overstate how awesome it was.

AND IT ONLY LASTED FOR ONE SEASON.

AND YOU CAN'T GET THAT ON DVD!

ARRRRRRRRGH

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
But, to add my choices from the obvious (Avatar), I'd also like to bring to light my favorite old time saturday morning cartoon show.

CAPTAIN SIMIAN AND THE SPAAAAAAAAACE MONKIES.

This show was amazing. Seriously, amazing. Firstly, it starred Jerry Doyle (Michal Garibaldi from Babylon 5), Maurice LaMarsh (Brain from Pinky and the Brain), Michael Dorn (Warf from Star Trek TNG) and Malcolm McDowell (From Time after Time, Fallout 3, A Clockwork Orange, and a billion other awesome things).

And more, it was STUFFED with awesomely obscure and clever sci-fi references. Like, I have no idea how the hell they pitched it for kids, but the damn thing is filled with throwaway jokes referring to planet of the apes, star trek, Alien (heck, there's a whole episode that riffs on Alien), I have no mouth and I must scream, I robot, 2001, and Aliens.

I cannot overstate how awesome it was.

AND IT ONLY LASTED FOR ONE SEASON.

AND YOU CAN'T GET THAT ON DVD!

ARRRRRRRRGH

Pirates of the Dark Water all over again. Seriously, that thing was going to be like early 90's Avatar: The Last Airbender and it only had like 15 episodes.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
The Venture Bros., Avatar: The Last Airbender, Pinky & The Brain, Batman: The Animated Series, more than half from the good years of the 90's from Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network with special mention to Invader Zim, Rocko's Modern Life, Dexter Labs before Gendy left and Courage The Cowardly Dog, The Simpsons before the rape of the Panda, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Serial Experiment Lain, Paprika, Mulan, Beauty and the Beast, Peter Pan, Dumbo, Cowboy Bebop and Daria.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Oh, and almost all what Frederick Bean "Tex" Avery produced with some sides of Tom & Jerry.

Amyre

Gypsy
Registered
Reaction score
Thundercats.
For the win.

PercyBlok

Take it or leave it
Registered
Reaction score
Florida (Tampa area), but it still doesn't seem to
Strip: Pearls Before Swine (Calvin and Hobbes brilliant, Far Side...was on another level).

T.V.: was Simpsons but now Family Guy

Cartoon classic: Fog Horn Leg Horn and the rest of the Bugs Bunny Crew

Other favorites: Aeon Flux (original MTV), Heavy Metal movie, Ren and Stimpy, Spongebob, Power Puff Girls

Last edited:

Rhubix

New kid, critique harshly!
Registered
Reaction score
Aeon Flux - I have the DVD box set- I love it to pieces!

"Tex" Avery - Is a bit of a mad genius- I approve.

Invader Zim - too win!

The Tick- I need this on DVD

Foghorn Leghorn - Too funny!

Fantasia- I'm sad to say I couldn't watch this. It's too much like the fine art version of animation. Like Jackson Pollok.*shutter*

JerseyGirl1962

I heart Malamutes! :-)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
T.V.: was Simpsons but now Family Guy

Cartoon classic: Fog Horn Leg Horn and the rest of the Bugs Bunny Crew

Other favorites: Aeon Flux (original MTV), Heavy Metal movie, Ren and Stimpy, Spongebob, Power Puff Girls

Definitely Family Guy now (altho hubby & I still watch The Simpsons on a regular basis).

All of the old Looney Tunes, yes! I esp. love the interplay in the 2 episodes where Chuck Jones lets Bugs, Daffy, and Elmer duke it out, with Daffy getting things going in his underhanded way. (At one point, after being blasted by Elmer's gun, he remarks to Bugs, "Hmm...pronoun trouble." :ROFL: Of course, you have to remember that epi to understand. :tongue)

Still watch Spongebob on occasion, and the funny thing about that is that I found out about that cartoon from my bro-in-law who usually didn't go on about cartoons. (Still doesn't.) But he did about Spongebob, so I had to investigate...

Favorite strip? Hmm. Probably Peanuts. :snoopy: I still have a bunch of little cartoon books I begged my mom to buy for me when I was 6 or 7. Lots of classics, including Linus' looking for his security blanket (which Lucy conveniently buried), Linus' love for Miss Othmar, & Snoopy pretending to be a vulture - among other things. :)

Movie? The Invincibles. Premise was hilarious, and was carried out very well, I thought.