Star Trek: TOS episode recommendations

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
For Christmas, I got Star Trek season 1 and season 2 on DVD and earlier today I was watching it. My little sister saw I was watching them and expressed curiosity about it, so I promised that we would watch some episodes together.

Now, she's only 6, and I know that at that age some episodes may seem a bit slow and with too much dialogue for a kid, so I was wondering, which episodes you think are the best to catch her attention?

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
If she's six, The Trouble with Tribbles (season 2) might appeal to her. I remember thinking the tribbles were supper cute when I was a kid.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
"Supper" cute? Is that a Freudian slip? :D

Yeah, the "Tribbles" episode is by far the most humor-filled and young-kid-friendly STTOS episode, probably the most of the whole Empire, uh, Federation, whatever...

I don't really recall them that well - I was ten when TOS started, and I was addicted, not just from the first episode, but from the PROMO featuring the pointy-eared Vulcan, and then watched daily reruns in the early '70's, and only rarely since then.

But they're all documented online, with descriptions, surely reviews, and even transcripts.

There'll be things she doesn't understand, like the returning-from-commercials scene with Kirk and the visiting lovely lady in his quarters, and he's tying up the laces on his boot. Again, I was only ten when I first saw it, and I didn't get it...

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
6 is iffy.

Definitely "The Trouble with Tribbles."

From Season 2, "I, Mudd" (the planet of androids and Mudd's nagging wife), and perhaps "A Piece of the Action."

Iffy: Both from Season 1: "Shore Leave" and "The Squire of Gothos."

DavidZahir

Malkavian Primogen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
undeadwhispers.yuku.com
Depending on her taste (i.e. does she like exciting stories?) your sister might enjoy "Balance of Terror" because it is a fairly straightforward battle tale.

Second "The Trouble With Tribbles" as just plain fun and entertaining.

I remember as a little kid "Where No Man Has Gone Before" really stuck with me--I was fascinated at age six when first watching that one.

"A Piece of the Action' is so played for laughs that it might not matter how much your little sister understands--although if she's reasonably bright she might get most of it pretty easily.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Thanks for all your suggestions, I saw The Trouble with Tribbles earlier today and even though she was bored at some bits she adored the Tribbles. Also, it helped out to make some questions about the space. Apparently she thought all the countries had their own different sun.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Too bad you didn't get Season 3. Only a 6 year old has a prayer of enjoying Spock's Brain ;)

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I try to do my best, thoth. But sometimes is hard to balance Mr. Funtime with Discipline, esq.