Australia, just saw this...

Greenify13

Fair Maiden of War.
Registered
Reaction score
Floods! Of biblical proportions, it says, and I haven't seen any threads about this. I just want to send out :Hug2: and prays for any AW members and their loved ones that are or will be affected by this. Though, from what I recall from past threads on Australia and such things, if it affects some it affects all.

I hope we hear from y'all soon...:)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh dear, here's to hoping our Aussie members and their family and friends are safe

Honeybug

Working my way up!
Registered
Reaction score
Our thoughts and prayer will be with our Aussie friends. Please stay safe and check in to let us know you are all okay!! :Hug2:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
No floods in my corner of Australia. I can't speak for any other states...

But I did see a news report on the town of Bundaberg being flooded. IIRC that's where they make the Bundaberg Rum. Yummy stuff, but I guess they'll be shutting down production while the flood lasts.

And according to my dad, the big river that runs through 3 states, including South Australia where we live, has been flooded up-stream in the other states, so it's only a matter of time before the Riverland in SA is flooded too, at least near the river. (The river is the Murray-Darling, a fantastic name. "Murray? Darling? Can you pick up some wine on the way home?")

But like I said, there's no flooding where I am, so I don't have any first-hand knowledge of it.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Glad you're safe

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
I meant to ask you about this Cliff, glad you are ok. My husband has a friend in Aussie that had some pics of the floods near him on facebook. Looks pretty bad!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
We never get floods in South Australia. It's the driest state in the country. We worry more about droughts (2 or 3 since 2000, though not life-destroying droughts, just farm-industry-messing-up droughts) and heatwaves.

It was 43C here on NYE. IIRC, 37C is about 100F. So 43C would probably be nearing 120F, which I'm sure you can appreciate is HOT.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
We've had a few big bushfires in the past. I believe we have an Ash Wednesday and Ash Friday to commemorate the 2 biggest in Australia, though I'm not 100% on those days, don't know what month/week they fall on, and there's every chance that they happened nowhere near me.

I do know we've had a big one in my state at some point.

And we get small scrubfires every year, though the Fire Fighters are pretty good at getting those under control pretty quickly.

Personally, I live in the suburbs, so the closest thing to a bushfire I've ever seen was a single house on fire near us, about 3 streets over. Well, even that was just smoking - the firies had already put out the actual fire part. It was an empty house that was for sale, so nobody got hurt. And it also raised the question of whether it was set on fire for the insurance because it wasn't selling...

Mostly we just have to worry about not having much water.

Greenify13

Fair Maiden of War.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad you are safe from the floods Cliff, but I do hope you and your loved ones take care in the heat...ugh, I hate the heat!

BeatrixKiddo

Is it summer yet???
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just noticed this on the news too. Lots of record flooding all over the planet this past year.