I sorta channeled Mac yesterday

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
The admin, not the type of computer.

I run my own world of warcraft guild, and this eats a fair portion of my free time. I have considerable resources in this game, and I spend most of them on other people in my guild. The guild, Those Who Wander on Lightning Hoof, has one rule--"respect your fellow guildy." I liked the AW model enough to blatantly steal its ruleset, but I wasn't aware of how much of an impact this place and its owner had on me until the other day.

After basically carrying a group of guildies through some of the harder end-game content (so that they'd find some good gear and be able to play with the rest of the guild on something of an equal footing), some debate breaks out in the guild chat channel. They guild bank is full of items that low level people can use, for free, to level up their professions (a fairly important aspect of the game), and I have it set up so that everyone can repair their damaged gear on behalf of the guild bank--the money from which comes directly out of my pocket. These things are actually an extensive investment of my in-game resources, as the guild has about 200 active members.

The debate is on whether or not the space in the guild bank is being used well, and I'm sitting there quietly observing--I learned to be open to criticism on this forum--when someone randomly pipes in, "I fucking hate this guild."

Blink. This was a person to whom I had loaned a large sum of in-game currency, whom I had helped when he got stuck, and who took full advantage of the guild bank repair fund and profession items.

I said, "No one's making you stay," and I was going to leave it at that--but something about the comment bugged me. He hated the guild? And he's in it?

I'm sure Mac would have handled this better, but I gave him about a paragraph of my righteous fury about his comment (and his behavior in general--he'd been trolling our chat channel on and off), and then said, "So if you hate the guild, allow me to show you the goddamn door."

And I kickbanned him.

Like I said, I'm sure Mac would have handled the situation better, but I felt like I imagine she must feel whenever someone comes along and takes a poo on the forums and forces her to move them along.

It's a stressful sensation. So show your admin / siteowner and modsquad some love for the new year.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So...

Will Mac be pressing charges?

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I think Mac can now sue you for breach of somegoddamnedthing

Its in the lawbooks

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Heh. You more or less grew up here, Bart. So it's not all that surprising that you've absorbed a bunch of the atmosphere -- but it IS pretty funny.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
In RL I've been using words and terms I hear here on AW, and people have no idea what I'm talking about.

I call them Macapropisms

Last edited:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
000b3e38

Mac, in one of her more serene moments...

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
I talk about AW and people ask me where it is. As they thought it was a physical location where I live. I love this place.

Thanks Mac for being a good admin. I notice the difference between this forum and other forums I belong too.