Agents That Deal With First Timers

grizzletoad1

Plodding around into things.
Registered
Reaction score
I was wondering if there is a list of agents that deal with first time authors on a regular basis? It might help to know just who out there is open to new writers like myself or who only want clients with a long list of credits on their resumes. In view of how many agents are now following the policy of "No reply=No Interest," how can a newbie know that the agent you just sent a query to has absolutely no interest in you right from the start? Sounds like a dumb question, but I've been called far worse than "dummy" in my life!

Supreme_Overlord

horrific and tragical
Registered
Reaction score
Elsewhere. I'll, um, get back to you on the detail
There's no such thing as a dumb question, you know.
Unless they specifically state otherwise for some odd reason, agents are usually willing to take on new writers if they see potential in the writer and if they think they can market the book. Oftentimes, they'll like the manuscript, but they won't think they'll be able to sell it.

Basically, most agents don't care if you've had a long publishing history. What they want is a good story, written well, that they'll be able to sell. Remember, you're not selling yourself; you're selling your novel.

By the way, welcome to the Cooler.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to move this from Newbie forum over to the Ask the Agent forum. You'll get more replies there, me thinks. Hold on tight, here we goooooooooo....

ianh

Writer of Paranormal fiction
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ianhall.freehostingcloud.com
I am still looking for a new agent as my previous one was a total let down and waste of my time. But I think if you pitch it right and they like what they read, you could be onto a winner.

KingM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
I am still looking for a new agent as my previous one was a total let down and waste of my time. But I think if you pitch it right and they like what they read, you could be onto a winner.

What do you mean by waste of time? Did the book go out on submission?

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Some agents, in their bios, or in interviews, will express a specific interest in newer writers. But don't limit yourself to them. Query any agent who you are interested in, who you think would be a good fit and who is accepting queries.

~suki

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
If an agent explicitly states they are open to queries, then they are open to "first timers". Just because an agent won't respond if they aren't interested doesn't mean that they don't take on first timers. If they read a query by a first timer that they like, then they'll request materials. "No response = No" simply means that that's how they reject you. Not that they WILL reject you.

a.toast.to.hawker

Registered
Reaction score
If you flip through the listings in Writer's Market, some agencies will actually list what percentage of clients they take on are debut authors.

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Many agents just say so on their websites. "I take new clients only on referral," or "I welcome all queries."

You need to research agents anyway to see if they're interested in your genre and what their submission guidelines are -- so while you're at it, you'll find out whether they accept unsolicited queries.

MickCarranza

Back in Action! (Still fluffy.)
Registered
Reaction score
Im curious about something. How much writing experience does a typical agent have? Like hands-on, writing his own stuff? Or is that not a qualification?

KingM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Im curious about something. How much writing experience does a typical agent have? Like hands-on, writing his own stuff? Or is that not a qualification?

It depends, but almost all have either writing or editing experience. My background is about 50/50. I've been published numerous times (in short fiction or non-fiction), and have done freelance editing in the past. I think having immersed yourself in writing in one form or another is the only way to have developed the eye needed for this business.

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com

I wouldn't expect an agent to be a published author (though clearly some are!), but I wouldn't be surprised if most had dabbled ;)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Just about the only agents who don't thrive on new writers are those closed to all queries, and those really top few who don't even advertise their presence.

Stanmiller

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
toad,

If you aren't already using it, Querytracker's agent search function let's you search for agents that rep specific genres. Confirm with the agency website before querying. There's also a tracking function to keep up with who and when you've queried.

Stan