School question

At about what age did you first learn what a narcissist was?

Votes: 4 16.7%

Votes: 1 4.2%

Votes: 2 8.3%

Votes: 2 8.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 20+

• It wasn't till after my school years.

• I can't remember, it was too long ago

• I still don't know what a narcissist is.

• Total voters

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
justy wondering what?

Dario D.

Sorry, the thread gets posted just when you start to fill out the poll.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, the thread gets posted just when you start to fill out the poll.

There was no poll when I commented.

And for us it was before age 10 because we did Echo and Narcissus in P3 as a class play

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
You need a 'I can't remember, it was too long ago' option.

Probably around the time I switched from primary to secondary. Somewhere between 9 and 12? Ish?

ETA: We didn't do a play, but we did learn about Narcissus and that's when I learnt it. I'm pretty sure it was before I left primary school.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I actually remember this one. We studied ancient Greece and Greek gods in the seventh grade (Narcissus); I would have been 12 or 13. I'm sure there was an explanation of using the word to mean anyone fascinated with himself.

Last edited:

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
What does your question have to do with school?

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, could you repeat the question? I was too taken with my avatar pic and wasn't paying attention.

Dario D.

What does your question have to do with school?
I'm wondering roughly how many people are taught about narcissism, in schools, and at what ages.

What's a narcissist?
Someone who is love with themselves, and thinks they're above others... They're usually heartless, believe they're entitled to superior consideration/treatment, and are often openly evil (given the right circumstances). (if you want to see narcissists in action, lookup "where's the chapstick" on YouTube, and read the comments)

I'm just trying to figure out why it seems like nobody knows anything about them.

Last edited:

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm wondering roughly how many people are taught about narcissism, in schools, and at what ages.

I probably heard the word in conversation, or read it somewhere. I then looked it up. Narcissus was discussed briefly when we studied the Greek myths, but as a character trait I learned it on my own.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, that's a lot clearer. I probably learned what a narcissist earlier than 10 from reading, but may not have been officially taught anything about it in school until (a) Freshman mythology (age 14), when we read Greek myths, and (b) Senior-year psych class (age 17), when we'd have learned about the clinical diagnosis.

But it's hard to say exactly--the Echo/Narcissus myth might have shown up in an earlier English textbook.

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
Someone who is love with themselves, and thinks they're above others... They're usually heartless, believe they're entitled to superior consideration/treatment, and are often openly evil (given the right circumstances). (if you want to see narcissists in action, lookup "where's the chapstick" on YouTube, and read the comments)

I'm just trying to figure out why it seems like nobody knows anything about them.

*facepalm* Look at the last option on the poll.

Stanmiller

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Someone who is love with themselves, and thinks they're above others... They're usually heartless, believe they're entitled to superior consideration/treatment, and are often openly evil (given the right circumstances).

If they didn't exist, novelists would have to invent them.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
In general. (it seems like everyone is friends wirh a narcissist, then surprised when things go sour)

Knowing what it is and recognising it in the flesh are two different things;)

You don't know someone is a narcissist right up till they don't give a shit about something important to someone else (or some other giveaway) It's like the difference between knowing what a psychopath is and a knife to your throat.

I thought you meant literally people not knowing what the word meant.

Besides which, narcissists can be good fun at times - as long as you know not to rely on them.

Jessianodel

Blessed by the AW Gods
Registered
Reaction score
I actually remember this one. We studied ancient Greece and Greek gods in the seventh grade (Narcissus); I would have been 12 or 13. I'm sure there was an explanation of using the word to mean anyone fascinated with himself.

Yeah I studied in in sixth grade. My teacher loved Greek mythology. Although I'm positive I knew about it before that...I just put eleven.

Knowing what it is and recognising it in the flesh are two different things;)

You don't know someone is a narcissist right up till they don't give a shit about something important to someone else (or some other giveaway) It's like the difference between knowing what a psychopath is and a knife to your throat.

I thought you meant literally people not knowing what the word meant.

Besides which, narcissists can be good fun at times - as long as you know not to rely on them.

I didn't realize my friend was a complete narcissist until eight grade. She was a little self-absorbed but she was my friend. And then she just started going crazy and vying for attention all the time and I gave up. After graduation I stopped talking to her.

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Someone who is love with themselves, and thinks they're above others... They're usually heartless, believe they're entitled to superior consideration/treatment, and are often openly evil (given the right circumstances).
Oh, you mean the moderators!

(Just kidding, I don't wanna sparkle.)

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've looked that word up so many times...

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score

7th grade, also, though I think it was in English class. We had a short story textbook that included a retelling of Echo and Narcissus.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
We did Greek and Roman mysthology in 4th grade, so that's where we learned about it.

IRL? I usually knew they were narcissists, but they were dramatic and fun! I did misjudge one to a very serious degree, but she was an evil (really) antisocial, too. I thought she was just a little antisocial. Bad, bad mistake.

skylark

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I was ever taught about it. I honestly have no idea when I would have encountered it as a term, though I read the Echo and Narcissus story certainly as a pre-teen.