• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Query/Cover letter to an editor/publisher, how are they different from an agent's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

macandal

Registered
Reaction score
What is the difference (if any) in the query/cover letter you submit to an agent and the one you submit to an editor/publisher? Thanks

Fishmonkey

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ekaterinasedia.com
macandal said:
What is the difference (if any) in the query/cover letter you submit to an agent and the one you submit to an editor/publisher? Thanks

Lessee... First, cover letter and query letter are two different animals. If you're sending a query, it's pretty much the same as the one that goes to an agent -- just substitute 'seeking representation' with 'looking for a publisher', etc.

Cover letter should go out with the full or partial MS, and generally it is more brief than your query. Some recommend including a brief summary of the novel with your cover letter, but I usually don't bother, since the MS and synopsis are there. My cover letter usually says something to the effect of:

"Dear Ms. Editor,

Enclosed please find synopsis/partial/full MS of my latest novel, BLINKY'S REVENGE, complete at 160,000 words. I hope you will find it suitable for publication.

My short stories appeared in [Impressive Markets], and my previous novel was released from [Small Publisher].

A letter-sized SASE is enclosed for your reply; please feel free to recycle the MS.

Thank you for your time,
Your Obedient Servant"

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.