"Merry Christmas"?

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Just out of interest, how often did someone wish you a merry Christmas in the last few weeks? And how often did you say it to someone else? It was said to me twice this year, once from the woman in the Chinese takeaway on Christmas Eve, and once on Sunday from a guy who who was carrying a delivery into a newsagents - even though he obviously couldn't speak much English.

Even when I dealt with the public on a face to face basis during my retail days (shudder), it rarely came up.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I heard it a lot in stores and whatnot, and I was on a "spirit of the season" kick this year, so I said it to quite a few people.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Still waiting for my present, Jcomp...

Come on man, your Christmas list in its entirety was:

1. The Darkest Desires of the Human Heart
2. Firefly Seasons 2-7

Needless to say, your socks are in the mail...

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
I told folks in stores that I know Merry Xmas about 100 times and most didn't even hear me. :D

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
Pretty much everyone I know is aware that I don't celebrate it, but I still got hit with it once or twice. I said it to my girlfriend because she celebrates it, and I know she likes hearing it.

MoonWriter

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Merry Christmas, Sean. I hope the third time's the charm. Since we're only 5 days into the 12-day Christmas season, it's still okay to wish others a Merry Christmas - except for Bmwthly, unless you're feeling lucky! :)

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Heard it a bunch, said it a bunch. We're still very friendly around here that way. I got invited fishing once by the owner of a well-known national chain because we talked about bug spray originally, seriously. We chat :D Our Muslims say Merry Christmas to strangers in the stores :ROFL: (really)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Heard it a lot on Christmas day from family. And from the girls at the coffee shop (I hope the cute one has a crush on me! Otherwise she's just the nicest and most effective retailer I've ever seen...). I said it a bunch, sometimes in return, other times as an opener when I didn't have anything else to say.

My favourite one of the season happened outside my local shopping centre, at about 10am. It's important that it was that early, because mum and I were accosted by a drunk woman. She was walking around the smoking section outside mumbling "Merry Christmas..." to everyone who passed, and she was stumbling a little bit. She was wearing this awful knit cardigan and ugly pants, which just made her look even more like a hobo.

I thought it was absolutely brilliant that a drunk person could say Merry Christmas that early in the morning. I quietly wondered whether she mistook which day it was... or maybe she was trying to be jovial so that rich strangers would buy her a 6th beer for the morning...

Anyway, that was my favourite "Merry Christmas" moment.

Okay, I lie. My favourite "Merry Christmas" came from the cute barista girl, who was very enthusiastic. ;) But the drunk hobo-esque woman is a close second. :)

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
I heard it too many times to count and I always say "Merry Christmas" in return, so it all adds up to too many times to count.

Next year I'm gonna keep a note pad and pencil handy, so I can make tally marks each time it happens. Or maybe one of those hand-held clicker thingies, like teachers sometimes carry on field trips to count the students as they get on and off the the buses. Just in case another thread like this comes up, I'll have the accurate info.

BeatrixKiddo

Is it summer yet???
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Showoff.

I don't remember how many times I said it. Probably at least a dozen or so. Most folks would reply in same. If they didn't, I threw a massive fit and accused them of not being "Christmas-e" enough and letting us all down. :D

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
I think this thread proves that we Brits are all miserable bastards. :D

I'm not. I'm bubbly and optimistic. Like a genesplice between Pollyanna and Bonnie Langford.