• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Writer's block is my friend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I do not fear writer's block; in fact, I consider it my friend, saving me from myself, as it were.

When the writing is not coming, I know that something is wrong, and I need to fix it before I can go forward, and I have a lot of strategies for that.

I get blocked because I am uncomfortable with something I'm doing, usually because I've taken a wrong turn, and my subconscious is smarter than I am.

So I go back, fix the problem, and voila! No more block!

More often than not, I've made a character do something, well, out of character. Or taken a faulty plot turn. Usually I straighten it out by doing a little journaling or having a written conversation with the character in question - however odd that might sound.

Works for me.

whacko

Keeping up with the class
Registered
Reaction score
Hey TCCB,

Now that I'm a non-smoker, any chance of sending me a few of the herbal cakes that you must be baking?:D

Reaction score
I gave up the herb at the end of the '60s and I just turned 60, so you can see that it's been a while.

Once I got blocked but I forced myself to keep writing. You know what I ended up with? 100,000 words of drivel.

Nope, I mean it: writers' block is my friend. I just have to listen to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.