Easy A

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
So, i just finished watching this movie on DVD, and I'm actually pretty sad that I didn't see it in theaters!

It was witty, funny, had real heart, and was a great exploration of finding oneself and their sexuality.

Anyone else seen this movie?

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Saw it in theatres, am a HUGE Emma Stone fan. Glad she's in the new Spiderman. I have to admit I had slightly too high expectations so was a little disappointed, but only because at times I felt the writing wasn't quite up to par with the great performances of the actors (like when Thomas Haden Church would say, "Uh, and don't do drugs" in that dead pan way of his, only to point out the heart of the joke by adding "or whatever other cliche thing I'm supposed to say" - it felt like the writers didn't trust the audience to understand that they the characters were mocking conventions as opposed to just playing up to them, which was sad and, to me at least, dulled the humour a bit). BUT I loved every scene with the family (also a huge Stanley Tucci fan), those were by far my fav moments of the film: "But I'm adopted." "WHO TOLD YOU??"

And, as I already said, the acting in general.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
It was cute and silly, kind of like Mean Girls, but smarter, I think. Emma Stone is great. But yeah, I think the story is stretching the believability a bit, especially the whole thing with Woodchuck. But I liked it.

Georgia Lee

Registered
Reaction score
I loved it! I am now a huge Emma Stone fan (though I don't like her new blonde hair :( ).

miss marisa

Registered
Reaction score
Saw it in theatres, am a HUGE Emma Stone fan. Glad she's in the new Spiderman. I have to admit I had slightly too high expectations so was a little disappointed, but only because at times I felt the writing wasn't quite up to par with the great performances of the actors (like when Thomas Haden Church would say, "Uh, and don't do drugs" in that dead pan way of his, only to point out the heart of the joke by adding "or whatever other cliche thing I'm supposed to say" - it felt like the writers didn't trust the audience to understand that they the characters were mocking conventions as opposed to just playing up to them, which was sad and, to me at least, dulled the humour a bit). BUT I loved every scene with the family (also a huge Stanley Tucci fan), those were by far my fav moments of the film: "But I'm adopted." "WHO TOLD YOU??"

And, as I already said, the acting in general.

Don't Explain The Joke. I agree with you there.

Easy A was suggested to me by my friend, because it's exactly the kind of movie I like. *shrugs*. I guess I'll be going to Redbox now.

Scandiaca

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I saw it, too. I liked it. I mean the movie wasn't some big posh "We will teach you about the universe" type of thing, but it was fun, nice, funny and short enough to not be boring. Just the right scenes, the right amount of silly, just an easy A :)

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
But probably not this blonde. It makes her look under 18 even with make-up on.

Which isn't such a bad look for Spiderman which is why she's gone blonde. Have no fear, I'm sure she's getting enough flak about the hair colour that once the film is over she'll return to the red. Obviously red was a business choice, to make her standout in Hollywood, and people evidently related better to her as a red head, so it's likely she'll go back. But I think right now she has to be blonde, not just for the movie, but also because people are so confused why she wasn't cast a Mary Jane considering everyone thought she was a real red head. She needs to prove she'd be right for Gwen.

The silly thing is, it's just hair. Anyone can play any hair colour. But we saw what happened to "Felicity". She cut her hair and the show was canceled. Hair, the one part of us that we can change so effortlessly so you'd think it wouldn't be such a biggie, MATTERS.

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
I totally loved the movie. As soon as I saw the preview I knew I wanted to see. The theater was empty for opening night too. LOL

entropic island

Registered
Reaction score
This was an incredibly fun movie, but I wish they'd spent more time with the family.

Probably the second or most hardest I've laughed in a movie this year. (Below or above [haven't decided yet] Scott Pilgrim)

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
The only subplot I didn't care for was the one with Lisa Kudrow (the counselor / teacher's wife).

The idea that she'd just let a student take the fall for her wasn't executed well IMO. She gave that line, telling the girl she wasn't a whore because if she was she'd never be able to admit it. THEN, she just lets her go ahead and potentially ruin her life anyway. Something about that scene didn't fit well.

The 22-yr old BF, didn't really work, either. He wouldn't still be in HS at 22, no matter how many times he'd flunked. It was a point I couldn't get past - especially - once we learned why he was still in school.

STD's are serious business, and require reporting to the CDC, so the shrug off when the MC's named as the school's Typhoid Mary was off.

And the big reveal moment to the counselor's favorite teacher wasn't done well, either. It almost would have been better if the teacher came up infected, confronted his wife because he'd know that's where he got it, she admitted an affair, but still blamed the MC for the original transmission - then there could have been a scene with the "favorite" teacher turning on her for a while.

I DID like the movie, I just felt like the whole bit with the counselor was shoe horned in.

LivingDork

the zompocalypse is coming
Registered
Reaction score
If you haven't seen the Rocker yet, with her and Rainn Wilson, go get it now. She's amazing and she has priceless comedic timing, which is rare in actresses from what I've seen.
I really liked it. Suspension of disbelief aside, I'm glad I'm not in HS right now.

entropic island

Registered
Reaction score
The Rocker was fantastic. Almost a modern day Spinal Tap, although not quite at THAT level.

trailerbride

Northern scum. Southern belle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pankhearst.com
Lisa Kudrow aside, I enjoyed Easy A a lot. And it reminded me to go watch Saved again. Bonus!