Did you crit today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaceWing

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Well? Did you? It does a writer good.

I'm sort of critting Selden Edward's The Little Book as I read it for the third time. Meanwhile, this week I've hit on two poems and two shorts.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The Best Place In The World...Absolute Write!!
Not today. Actually I don't remember the last time I 'crit'd.' It was in SYW and it was about a month ago, and had to think twice about what I had to say. I'll leave it to your imagination because it still makes me feel really bad. It wasn't disrespectful but I think the writer was so hurt that she didn't contact me again. It wasn't my intention, but then again we can only control what we say and write to other people...not how they're going to react. :(

KingM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
I'm writing a detailed critique for a client. I probably learn more doing that than anything else I do, but it's long, slow work.

LaceWing

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I cheat by not always writing out my responses.

The other half of it is that showing something to others completes a circuit. With or without a response, it helps me see my own work differently. And that I can't cheat my way through.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I'm working on a beta right now, and I've been trying to get through a few pages a day. Sometimes I can get up to forty or fifty, but my brain starts to hurt after that. Thinking critically of things is definitely a mental workout, and it does help me with my own stuff. I think in my case, though, learning how to properly edit my own stuff has helped me to give better crits.

I'm lucky in that I haven't had anyone take anything really negatively yet, even though I give tough crits. I always try to point out the positive as well, though, and I try to be careful about my wording, so that might help.

Last edited:

Aerial

There is no spoon.
Registered
Reaction score
I did :) I hang out in SYW quite a bit. I'm slowly learning how to write a query letter.

Aerial

LaceWing

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I wish there were more synopses to chew on.

Another thing I do is rewrite stuff (privately) as an exercise. Likely as not, it'll be the voice and the pacing I will change radically. Thus I learn something or other, and thus I get my fingers moving across the keyboard.

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
I'm mentally critting the book I'm reading right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.