PDA

View Full Version : Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader (spoilers)

LOG
12-24-2010, 04:55 AM
Just got back from seeing it.

Worst. Narnia Movie. Yet. (I hope they don't get any worse)

I've accepted the alterations and additions to the other Narnia movies (for the most part) and they were so-so. This movie just flat-out tore apart the story: other than the characters and some of the settings, they're practically unrecognizable.
The things they did...I physically cringed, several times. Only once before have I so desperately wanted to quit the theater, that was for Epic Movie.
I think, more than anything, the greatest flaw of this film (and the first two, it's just most apparent here) is that the film world's idea of "children material" and Lewis' idea of "children material," are vastly different. Case in point, in the book, Aslan rips Eustace's dragon skin off, it's not bloody, barely even violent. In the movie, Aslan scratches at some sand...
They skim over plot points, although I expected that.
They even went so far as to introduce a completely new antagonist--and then never bother to explain or elaborate upon. Giving the story that kind of character defeats the purpose and structure of the original book. And the way they thrust the messages into your face...UGH.

childeroland
12-24-2010, 05:32 AM
SPOILERS

They might not have had to skim over much if they hadn't inserted the seven swords rubbish and that absurd green mist--which I guess is supposed to link the White Witch to the Lady of the Green Kirtle in the next story in the series, The Silver Chair (though I doubt they'll get do that now)--and overemphasized Lucy's jealousy of Susan and Caspian's father issues. It's nice that they spent so much time on Lucy (though I suspect that's because Georgie Henley is the best actor in this series) but they shortchanged the Lone Islands sequence and Coriakin's house to lengthen Eustace's dragon plight and find lousy excuses to insert Peter and Susan into the film. Complete rubbishing of the story--it's like this nonsense was made by the folks who did The Golden Compass. *ends rant*

thothguard51
12-24-2010, 05:32 AM
Does it really surprise you that movies stray from a books theme, plots, or characters?

You might also want to edit the title to note possible spoilers for those who have not seen the movie yet...

LOG
12-24-2010, 07:01 AM
Does it really surprise you that movies stray from a books theme, plots, or characters?

Where did I say I was surprised by that?
I noted that I was aware of it going in, anticipating it after viewing the first two.
But see, the first two altered book content and still turned out viewable.
This one alters movie content (more than either of the first two I should point out, although there's some pretty heavy alteration in all) and it just ends up deplorable for me.

amkuska
12-24-2010, 07:10 AM
And I was so hoping they'd get to "A Horse and His Boy"

I actually never thought The Dawn Treader would make a good movie. There's less of an over-all plot, and more of a sequence of short adventures to it. I think LWW, The Last Battle, and The Horse and His Boy are the most likely movies out of all of them.

rugcat
12-24-2010, 08:23 AM
Dawn Treader is actually my favorite of the books. Sadly, it seems to be the consensus (and not only here) that this is not a very good film.

LOG
12-24-2010, 12:08 PM
I liked Dawn Treader as well. It had more of an adventurous feel, as opposed to the quest-like sensation from the other books, save maybe The Magician's Nephew, which is a bit fragmented into separate plot lines.

BeatrixKiddo
12-25-2010, 03:59 AM
It's been so long since I've read the books, I don't recall the entire Dawn Treader story. I wasn't aware of the changes because I don't remember them from the book. (I need to read those books again, it's been far too long)

I really enjoyed the first two (especially the second one). This one was a bit slow and took awhile to get going. I was hoping this series would follow in Harry Potter footsteps and be true blockbusters but not all books adapt as well to movie form.

I do wonder if they'll continue to make them since Dawn Treader fell well below the studios financial expectations opening weekend. I would love to see more movies since I'm a Narnia fan.

(I thought the giant sea worm at the end was pretty kick ass)

LOG
12-25-2010, 10:59 AM
[FONT=Comic Sans MS](I thought the giant sea worm at the end was pretty kick ass)

Looked cool, but that's pretty much it. I liked how it didn't look like a snake or dragon head: points for originality.
But it was poorly handled, honestly it should have just gone underneath the water and put a hole through the bottom of the ship, then sat back for a few minutes and waited. Also, the whole crushing the sea serpent between the boat and the rock...yeah...I don't see that happening. Even if their vessel could somehow go fast enough to generate that kind of force, there was no wind and the rowers were kind of drowning at the time...

PrincessTeacake
01-13-2011, 04:06 AM
I have to say, I really enjoyed it. I enjoyed the first two films too, far more than I thought I would. Then again, I didn't like the books much and now that I'm re-reading them I like them even less. They're a good set of stories, but something about the way Lewis writes rubs me up the wrong way.

K. Taylor
01-13-2011, 10:51 AM
The sea serpent is handled differently in the book. They run into it earlier on the quest, just randomly, and it coils around the ship. They get the idea to push it over the back of the boat before the coils tighten too much. This succeeds, except for taking the decorative tail off the ship. The serpent, described as stupid, looks around its body and the water looking for wreckage while the Dawn Treader sails safely away. It's a pretty short event.

The book covers a journey that's "a year and a day", so obviously the movie has to condense.....but I don't feel the direct changes were necessary. There's no reason to keep bringing the White Witch back over and over in some fashion, for instance.

darkprincealain
01-13-2011, 11:00 PM
This was my favorite of the books, but this movie stinks. I understand they have to change stuff, different medium and all, but normally they change stuff to make it work better in the new medium, not to make it suck rotten eggs.

Sage
01-13-2011, 11:29 PM
The book is very episodic, and it didn't surprise me that they had added the green mist/sword element to the plot to tie it together (but then again, I had already heard about it too).

I actually liked this version. I really enjoyed that they extended Eustace as a dragon mostly because I thought he was so well done. I thought Reepicheep acting as more of a mentor to him was done quite well too.

Anyone looking for a loyal retelling of the story is bound to be disappointed, and I know that many people consider this one their favorite of the Narnia books, so it doesn't surprise me that so many people are upset.

K. Taylor
01-14-2011, 04:05 AM
I did enjoy the movie....I just didn't agree with all the changes. The boy who played Eustace really had it down, though - well done.

I do agree with not showing Eustace's change back into a boy exactly how it is in the book in a children's movie. Aslan tearing the dragon outside off to leave him naked and raw to be soothed in the pool is a bit graphic to be literal visually. They referenced it in the movie with the claw marks, so that was okay.

LOG
01-14-2011, 04:24 AM
Aslan tearing the dragon outside off to leave him naked and raw to be soothed in the pool is a bit graphic to be literal visually. They referenced it in the movie with the claw marks, so that was okay.
But how does it make any sense?
If someone went and saw this movie without having read the book and saw that scene, how could it possibly make any sense? Even a simple roar at Eustace that somehow blasted the dragon off of him would've been better than just randomly scratching at some sand.
It's not just how they mutilated the plot of the book. The logic of this movie is too iffy to handle along on top of everything else.

K. Taylor
01-14-2011, 06:32 AM
There were magical claw slashes on Eustace-the-dragon, not just Aslan moving his paws. I think he finally blew the majority away, but I don't remember for sure...only seen the movie once. They had enough magical effects going that it's obvious Aslan is turning him back into a boy, which is technically all that's needed.

The S.O. and I both enjoyed the flick. I've read the books, he hasn't. He asked me what was different later, but he didn't complain about logic fails, and believe me if he'd felt he saw them, he'd say it. He can be really hard on movies/tv.

I did love the details of the Dawn Treader itself. The cabin especially was beautiful.

LOG
01-14-2011, 06:55 AM
I did love the details of the Dawn Treader itself. The cabin especially was beautiful.

The ship was pretty awesome.