Status
Not open for further replies.

Swordswoman

Resilient and kind
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
It’s Christmas, but there’s only one message any kind of Christian can really give the QLTBG community, which is this:

I’m sorry.

Sorry for all the hate and lies, the vile rhetoric and aggressive posturing, the utterly disgusting suggestion that ‘Jesus Hates People For Being What They Are’.

I’m a Christian in the UK, and it’s only been since I joined these boards I’ve started to realize the kind of filth that’s being chucked around in the name of my faith. It’s different here. My own local bishop is openly gay, and while bigotry is still thick in the ranks of the church right to the very top, the ordinary Christian would no more dream of ‘hating’ someone for being gay than they would of murdering Muslims in the name of ‘crusade’.

There’s no credit in that – it’s pretty basic to anyone who really believes in Christianity (or humanity, come to that). I don’t want to get into the argument of labels or diss anyone else’s deeply-held convictions, but the fact remains that the founder of Christianity (this bloke called Jesus) never, ever condemned any kind of ‘queerness’, and argued only that we should all ‘love one another’. On that basis I’d argue that many QLTBG people are actually even more Christian than those who believe love should be restricted to 'appropriate' gender or social conventions.

I don’t imagine the actual tenets of Christianity are of the slightest interest to those who’ve been abused and vilified in its name for years. I don’t for one single moment suggest that anyone here needs the sanction of my personal religion for who they are. I’m only posting the following for the sake of those who’d like a good argument to smack in the face of the next religious bigot stupid enough to challenge them – but most of all for those who’ve been brought up Christian and are in the intolerably lonely position of secretly believing the God they try to love hates them. I’ve only knowingly encountered one such person in my life, but I cannot, cannot think of a worse or crueler form of abuse than that.

For those people I can say only this:

Christianity makes no distinction as to how we should love as long as we bloody well do it. Any arguments in the Bible against ‘homosexuality’ are derived from either the Old Testament or the Epistles.

The Epistles can be dismissed at once, as these are only letters by the first Christians, many of them the remnants of the original Apostles – and if people remember anything about the Gospels they’ll know the apostles were a kind of Watson to Jesus’ Holmes, always interpreting things wrong. I mean no disrespect to these very holy men who were often martyred for their faith, but they were still people and not God. They were as prone to human error of misinterpretation as we are today, and if their words contradict those of Jesus then (in my opinion) they fail to reflect his message accurately.

The Old Testament also gives the thumbs up to slavery, racism and abuse and subjugation of women. A ‘Christian’ who believes in these things is a contradiction in terms. Jesus certainly didn’t. He famously said he came to replace the old with the New Testament, and proceeded to prove it in spades. He even replaced the whole ten commandments with just two: to love God, and to love each other as we love ourselves. How can anyone see a condemnation of any kind of consensual sexuality in that?

Jesus broke the old laws quite happily (including Sabbatarianism). There is even good evidence he knowingly helped a gay couple – without the slightest hint of judgment. Matthew IX, 9-12 tells the story of the centurion who risked the shame and opprobrium of visiting a so-called faith-healer of a different religion in order to beg for healing for his ‘servant’. Anyone with knowledge of the social barriers of the time knows this makes no sense - I even questioned it when I was a child. It’s only recently someone told me that the actual Greek word we translate as ‘servant’ was ‘pais’, which was more commonly used to mean a same-sex lover.
I know no Greek. Medievalist will be able to say whether this is a plausible interpretation or not, and I’ll go with whatever she says. But I certainly have no difficulty believing this was a same-sex relationship, because it fits so naturally into the creed of universal love Jesus preached.

To most of you this won’t matter, and no-one can blame you for it. But there once was a man who preached universal love regardless of barriers, and he did it nearly two thousand years before the countries we consider the most enlightened today. At Christmas we celebrate his coming, and to me that still means more than all the turkey and mince pies in the world. And I like mince pies...

I hesitated to post this because it feels like proselytizing, which could hardly be less appropriate – or just plain patronizing, which is worse. It could even just be classic heteronormative dopery. Please forgive me if it seems like any of those things, because it’s not what I mean. You don't need my approval, my religion's approval, you don't need anything of what I've just said - it's maybe just that I need to say it.

I need to say I AM SO, SO SORRY for the evils that have been inflicted on you by people who claim the same religion that I do. It’s rubbish, it’s bollocks, it’s hateful and utterly wrong. I feel an utter shitbag for it, and selfishly want to ask forgiveness.

And at least to say ‘Happy Christmas’ and hope that won’t feel insulting. This year let’s celebrate love in whatever form it comes. You guys here lead the way in that, and if anything we so-called Christians should be following. I've learned a lot here, and am very grateful to you all.

Louise

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How beautiful. What a lovely message. Jesus would be proud.

Thank you.

KMauro

Registered
Reaction score
This was a great Christmas message for someone like me who has always battled with religion (I was raised a Greek/Eastern Catholic/orthodox, how ever you might know it).

It was a huge deal for me as a teen to know I wasn't accepted by my church if I would "commit homosexual acts". As long as I wouldn't, I'd be okay. Of course the biggest deal was that I don't believe in God, so that sort of rules me out anyways. :)

I'm not an agnostic, but I could well believe that there was a historical character like Jesus. And I believe your view more than any of condemning ones I've read or heard.

So yeah, the agnostic thanks for this too.

Happy Holidays. :)

Deleted member 42

First, consider yourself hugged Louise.

I’m a Christian in the UK, and it’s only been since I joined these boards I’ve started to realize the kind of filth that’s being chucked around in the name of my faith. It’s different here. My own local bishop is openly gay, and while bigotry is still thick in the ranks of the church right to the very top, the ordinary Christian would no more dream of ‘hating’ someone for being gay than they would of murdering Muslims in the name of ‘crusade’.

Honestly, as someone who spent a fair amount of time in the UK in school, it really is different here. I think our Puritan heritage in the US is damaging in the extreme, and I think of late it's getting worse; one of the basic core values of Puritanism is to raise oneself in the hierarchy of saintliness by looking down on others who are "less pure," or "unsaved." It plays to the worst and most hierarchical human instincts.

I also don't think the Bible, OT or NT has anything to say about being gay or lesbian. It does condemn specific sexual acts for the Levites. But it also gives us David and Jonathan, and "a love that surpassesth the love of women." It gives us Daniel and Ashpenaz, with language about their relationship that is used to describe romantic sexual relationships between men and women.

And, finally, the Bible gives us Ruth and Naomi, with language that is used in the marriage contract, and to refer to marriage, being used to describe these two women's love for each other.

While I do not describe myself as Christian, I do not believe that a deity whoso loved the world that he gave his only begotten son to save humanity, would hate us for being the way he made us, or that he would hate us for loving one another.

Last edited by a moderator:

AyJay

Luv's Conscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
andrewjpeterswrites.com
What a fantastic message! Thanks Louise. I've moved on from my Protestant upbringing, but I think what you have to say will resonate quite warmly with LGBT Christians in America (and many Christians here in general).

The one thing I've taken with me from being raised Christian is exactly what you point out: it's about love, and standing up for others even when the cause is not popular. For that reason, I find the New Testament to be a very powerful story.

Ink-Pen-Paper

Life Is Full Of Stories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
what-me.com
I think the Puritans gave one strain to the current problems, a larger and more difficult strain comes from the Calvinists - and the very fire and brimstone screamers. Other than blaming social ills on lack of anything that are real to those who are minorities, women and people who are not of money are their own problem for not being ultra rich. They do not see the very laws passed to increase their power and wealth removes it from those without either. It is that parsimony is good, not bad to them.

First, consider yourself hugged Louise.
Honestly, as someone who spent a fair amount of time in the UK in school, it really is different here. I think our Puritan heritage in the US is damaging in the extreme, and I think of late it's getting worse; one of the basic core values of Puritanism is to raise oneself in the hierarchy of saintliness by looking down on others who are "less pure," or "unsaved." It plays to the worst and most hierarchical human instincts.
r.

Mara

Clever User Title
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for that post! It was awesome. :)

Constant exposure to that sort of thing has really worn me down, which is why I identify as "sorta between Christian and Unitarian-Universalist." (Which is where I'd probably guess Jesus would be, anyway.) Even when you know they're wrong, hearing enough bigots claim Christianity as their domain can really grind down one's willingness to argue.

This post actually inspired me to kinda come up with a little sermon that I'll probably never share. Basically, it's about how Jesus was a carpenter, and probably wants our faith to be like a big, solid house that can be repaired, modified, and expanded to house everyone, even if it looks a bit clunky. A house to live in, in other words.

Not a beautiful but fragile house that you show off to everyone, but have to chase people away from because letting them inside might cause the whole thing to collapse. That's what people who have based their beliefs on unquestioning acceptance of certain cultural traditions (homophobia) have done, and they're scared that if they're wrong on anything, they're wrong on everything.

Not entirely original, since it's inspired by Jesus' sermon on building on a strong foundation, but it was fun to think about.

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score

I also don't think the Bible, OT or NT has anything to say about being gay or lesbian. It does condemn specific sexual acts for the Levites. But it also gives us David and Jonathan, and "a love that surpassesth the love of women." It gives us Daniel and Ashpenaz, with language about their relationship that is used to describe romantic sexual relationships between men and women.

And, finally, the Bible gives us Ruth and Naomi, with language that is used in the marriage contract, and to refer to marriage, being used to describe these two women's love for each other.

While I do not describe myself as Christian, I do not believe that a deity whoso loved the world that he gave his only begotten son to save humanity, would hate us for being the way he made us, or that he would hate us for loving one another.

The prohibition against male homosexual sex found in Lev. 18:22 is not limited to the Levites, but applies to all Jews. While the book is commonly referred to as Leviticus, its Hebrew name is actually vayikra, meaning "he called" after the first word in the book (as is the case with each of the five); however, originally, the five books did not have separate names. As with many of the passages in Leviticus, the passages regarding sexual laws begins with God instructing Moses and Aaron to speak to all the people of Israel. Only when God is giving instructions directed to the Levite tribe about priestly duties does He specifically address it to them.

Other than that, I agree completely with your post. Note as well that the Torah makes no direct reference to female homosexual acts. It is my understanding that while the Rabbis of the Talmudic period argued that such things were included in the prohibition of following the ways of the Egyptians, there is no direct reference to it.

Additionally, as you have already pointed out, loving relationships between members of the same sex are discussed favorably rather than negatively. Indeed, many of the major Biblical characters had such relationships. It is unfortunate that the majority of the American population (and perhaps in some other countries as well) seem to have forgotten that.

ETA: I just realized that my personal stance may be misunderstood. I am not religious, nor do I have any problem with homosexuality. Seeing as I am a lesbian myself, such a stance would put me in quite the awkward position.

Deleted member 42

The prohibition against male homosexual sex found in Lev. 18:22 is not limited to the Levites, but applies to all Jews. While the book is commonly referred to as Leviticus, its Hebrew name is actually vayikra, meaning "he called" after the first word in the book (as is the case with each of the five); however, originally, the five books did not have separate names. As with many of the passages in Leviticus, the passages regarding sexual laws begins with God instructing Moses and Aaron to speak to all the people of Israel. Only when God is giving instructions directed to the Levite tribe about priestly duties does He specifically address it to them.

You might want to check with someone who is looking at it as a textual object rather than a sacred text; it is, for instance, repetitive because two different mss. have been crudely merged together.

Moreover, if you look only at the text and not the commentary, the audience is identified several times in the body of the text itself.

I'm neither Christian nor Jew these days; it's all just text.

Last edited by a moderator:

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Happy Christmas :) I am Christian, although I wouldn't say exclusively so, and I've always been annoyed by the churches that spout hate. It isn't hard to find nice ones where I am, thank God. I've met enough of the hateful folks to know that I'd be very against religion if that was what it had to mean.

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
You might want to check with someone who is looking at it as a textual object rather than a sacred text; it is, for instance, repetitive because two different mss. have been crudely merged together.

Moreover, if you look only at the text and not the commentary, the audience is identified several times in the body of the text itself.

I'm neither Christian nor Jew these days; it's all just text.

Just clarifying.

I don't view it as a sacred text. I'm not Jewish. I have studied it with several Rabbis as well as a couple secular Torah scholars. If you reread my post, I addressed the text mentioning the audience. Except when it specifically tells Moses and Aaron to address the priesthood, it tells them (or Moses alone, in our case) to address the people of Israel. I'm not sure what you are reading to get anything different.

At the beginning of Chapter 18, it says, "And God spoke unto Moses, saying, 'Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them...'" The term "children of Israel" is the most common term to refer to the Jews in the Torah, referring to the entire nation of Israel.

If you would like to continue the discussion, I would be happy to in PMs as to not further derail the thread. I simply wanted to clarify here one last time.

I hope everyone has a Happy Christmas tomorrow.

Swordswoman

Resilient and kind
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much to everyone for these lovely responses. Thanks especially for the hugs – I think I needed those badly. It’s shameful really, that a Christian should be nervous about ‘coming out’ to a community who’s had to face far, far harder confrontations in their lives – and often been met with a lot less kindness.

Which is maybe a little something self the Christian community might think of learning from this one…

Thank you all for giving me the best possible start to Christmas.

Louise

PS Thanks too to Medievalist for the very helpful perspective on the Biblical issues. It turns out I’m by no means the first person to hit on this centurion thing, and when I searched for the Greek term I came across this site. It’s religious rather than academic and the arguments seem to me a little simplistic, but it does at least acknowledge your own points about David and Jonathan, and Ruth and Naomi, and includes some interesting discussion on the way the word ‘eunuch’ was used, which seems to suggest Jesus specifically stated that people are born rather than ‘made’ gay. For what it’s worth anyway…

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
Go,head,Louise! *Hugs*

Happy Holidays and blessings to you all! Know that y'all have friends always. Be blessed!

Status
Not open for further replies.