It's beginning to look a lot like...

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
...Seattle!

Lots of rain here in Southern California. I can't remember the last time I saw sunshine...maybe a week ago, I'm not sure.

I like the rain and I don't mind the gray skies. The only problem is, Southern California isn't built for rain. Not sure exactly what Southern California is built for, but it ain't rain.

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
I'll take rain over snow any day.

I've seen and touched snow three times: in Corona, in 1968; in Big Bear in 1988 (but I've sort of blocked it out of my mind, because me and my girlfriend had a big argument in the car on the drive home); and in Woodcrest, a few years ago. Pretty much in 20-year intervals, for me.

That's it. I've never made a snowman, never had a snowball fight, nothin'.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
Here in New England we recenty had about a solid 10 days of just clouds. It was so depressing! And then I was glancing at the TV about a week ago and was watching "Groundhog Day." And one of the things Bill Murray said during one of his more anrgy and manic rants was "No sunshine! Just a cold grey cloudy day that never ends!"

Even though I have seen that film a dozen times, that one movie line was driven home to me with a stark truthfulness when I realized what a horrible thing it must be to go long stretches without seeing the sun.

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
Here in New England we recenty had about a solid 10 days of just clouds. It was so depressing! And then I was glancing at the TV about a week ago and was watching "Groundhog Day." And one of the things Bill Murray said during one of his more anrgy and manic rants was "No sunshine! Just a cold grey cloudy day that never ends!"

Even though I have seen that film a dozen times, that one movie line was driven home to me with a stark truthfulness when I realized what a horrible thing it must be to go long stretches without seeing the sun.

I was in Portland, Oregon for a few days last summer, and there was very little sunshine -- maybe a few hours altogether. It's a nice city, and I liked the cool & comfortable temperatures (much better than the brutal Southern California summertime heat), but I'm not sure if I could deal with the frequent cloudy skies.

Eudoxia

The Undead Bookworm
Registered
Reaction score
I am loving the rain here right now! It has rained for 2 days straight and I am really hoping it stays that way. I'll probably end up changing my mind though as soon as the frost comes. *shivers*

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I've never made a snowman. I've been to England when it wasn't snowing. I've been to a snow-peaked mountain here in Australia, but the snow wasn't the right kind to make things out of it. I've been to an indoor snow/ice arena in my home city dozens of times, but where the snow is there's also dozens of skiiers and tobogganers, so trying to make a snowman would probably get me kicked out.

Damn it. I want to create life!!

/mad scientist

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Oh my lor! 10 days of cloud and you're complaining! You should try living in England, we get months of grey skies in the winter.... and often during the summer...

No offence but..... WUSS!

LOL!

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We could send you down some snow from Canada, if you like. We have far more than we really need. :e2tongue:

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
10 days of rain so far with no end in sight. This is unusual for where I live(Northern Canada). It's been warm, and no snow. *cries*

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
The sky is blue and the sun is shining. Christmas at the beach is back on. Ahhh.

I don't mean to rain on your parade (pun intended :tongue), but the weather reporters are forecasting rain for Christmas and the day after!

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
We're walking through a...

"Scotrail apologise for the cancellation of all services between Aberdeen and Dyce"
The trains haven't run on time since the first snow.

I live in town and the first snow hasn't thawed yet. So, when I walk up to the pub, I'm walking on snow with lumpy ice under it.
However, I work out of town. There, I'm wading through knee deep snow with ice under it.

It's a winter wonderland up here.

tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Southern California between the Desert and the Mou
Website
www.facebook.com
I don't mean to rain on your parade (pun intended :tongue), but the weather reporters are forecasting rain for Christmas and the day after!

We had a different sort of rain cloud at our house... and she's gone now. I'd like nothing better than to stand on the beach and look at the ocean in the kind of rain mother earth provides now that I have my house - and my writing room - back.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
We may have a white Christmas!! And earlier snows have melted and reheated enough that it'll be fluffy and not ice probably! Woot! OTOH, if it's too warm, we'll just have a bunch of car accidents on the ice Christmas morning. Cross your fingers for cold enough, or much warmer!

BeatrixKiddo

Is it summer yet???
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had no idea California was experiencing such severe flooding due to the rains until I checked the news last night.

Vito, I hope you guys are ok and that you're in an area with no mud slides and that you and your family are safe from the flooding.

I still prefer rain over snow, but not that much rain!

We've had some severe flooding in Illinois over the past couple of years as well. Areas, that had either never flooded, or hadn't flooded in decades, were suddenly flooding. It was a mess.

I thought of this thread after watching the news last night. I hope fellow AW members in southern California are ok!

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
I had no idea California was experiencing such severe flooding due to the rains until I checked the news last night.

Vito, I hope you guys are ok and that you're in an area with no mud slides and that you and your family are safe from the flooding.

I still prefer rain over snow, but not that much rain!

We've had some severe flooding in Illinois over the past couple of years as well. Areas, that had either never flooded, or hadn't flooded in decades, were suddenly flooding. It was a mess.

I thought of this thread after watching the news last night. I hope fellow AW members in southern California are ok!

Thanks, it's very nice of you to show concern. My neighborhood hasn't had any problems although I just learned that the city where one of my nieces lives has had severe flood damage, with some evacuations. I just left a message and I'm hoping she calls back right away.

It's sunny and dry here today with temperatures about 70 degrees, and most people are hoping it stays that way for a while. I really love the rain but it always causes a lot of problems here in So. Cal.