Cerridwen Press/ EC's Blush / Samhain ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juliette Dupree

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I have looked at Cerridwen Press before, but they have been closed to submissions (except from invited EC authors) for a long time. I'd heard Cerridwen was in trouble, and now I see Ellora's Cave must be restructuring, and turning Cerridwen into Ellora's Cave's Blush, which will take open submissions.

I have seen sales stats for EC at:

http://www.erecsite.com/SALES.html
http://www.brendahiatt.com/id2.html

That second link also listed Cerridwen....with an average payout of $400 for a Cerridwen book, out of the 9 authors who submitted their sales info.

I saw in some AWWC posts here from 2005/2006 that Cerridwen supposedly had a reputation of being a "hot" publisher at the time. And I know that some posts here and at other websites mention some problems EC has had, and that some accusations of mismanagement were mentioned, and that Cerridwen has suffered from that.

I've also considered Samhain, but I'm not impressed with their selection in some of the mainstream romance categories that I'm interested in. If there are only a few books in a category, doesn't that suggest that they're not selling enough of those books to draw in repeat customers, or to keep authors coming back with more books?

Can anyone tell me if Cerridwen authors were making any real money (was it comparable to EC books)? Because I'd like to write some more mainstream romances, but it's not worth it to spend months writing a book that makes me $400 or less. I like writing, but I still want it to pay. ;)

Another question is: does anybody have any inside info on what EC plans to do to make Blush better than Cerridwen?

Thanks!

p.s. I have submitted to Harlequin (waiting) but I'd like to also submit to an epub, as well. I'm thinking I'd like to write for both markets, for various reasons.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

Selah March

Registered
Reaction score
Generally speaking Cerridwen's sales were not as strong as EC's sales. Whether Blush does better remains to be seen.

Carina is said to be taking mainstream romance, though they are also an unknown quantity in terms of sales.

I recently sold a mainstream -- aka non-erotic -- romance novella to Samhain for an anthology that was specifically created to showcase "sweeter" stories, so I assume there are some sales to be had there. :)

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
I had a medieval romance with Cerridwen, which will now be Blush. It didn't sell as well as my erotic stuff, no, but it didn't do too badly; I was pleased with it. But I'd also had several EC releases at that time, and it was easier to get reviews then too, so it got some really good ones. :)

Juliette Dupree

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. I've been waiting and waiting for Blush to "come online". They've had an announcement on cerridwenpress.com for over a month, saying they'd be online as of January 1st. But nothing has happened, nor have any posts been made at redlinesanddeadlines.blogspot.com. But I did check, and found a link for Blush books on EC's website. Not the best promotion going on. I guess they're busy getting things up and running? I actually had to really look for the Blush books before I finally found a little link in the sidebar.

Status
Not open for further replies.