Memoir proposal questions

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reworking my memoir proposal and I have a few questions.

1. In the market competition section, I have 10 authors (some have written more than 1 memoir). Does that seem like a good number?

2) Before knowing I would have to do a proposal with chapter summaries, I wrote my ms with 72 chapters. I love books with lots of shorter chapters because it makes stopping and restarting easier. Does an agent really want to read 72 chapter summaries or will this be a turn off?

3) Someone suggested pulling excerpts from my ms and using them in the summaries, which I think is a great idea. However, I got feedback that agents prefer a one or two sentence summary (particularly with 72 chapters LOL). Would you like to see excerpts (a paragraph or so) from the chapter as part of the summary?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions :)

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
For the memoir I co-ghostwrote, we wrote the proposal the same as a query for fiction. This is because a memoir is, by its nature, a story. Chapter summaries are typically needed for considering non-fiction because the agent/editor needs to know what topics the chapters cover; this doesn't apply to memoirs.

So my advice is to treat a memoir proposal the same as a fiction query: focus on the story.

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Terie! In everything I've read and everyone I've talked to, you are the first person who made that suggestion.

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
bump...(I know this is a busy time of the year)

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
You're welcome. I should also clarify that the query I worked on was for agents. Once the subject attained representation, the other co-ghostwriter worked with the agent on the formal proposal to publishers. In this case, the proposal was (IIRC) a 50-page version of the story....just straight narrative text, not chapter summaries. It was essentially a scaled-down version of the full story. The book was acquired and published by John Murray, UK.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Amy,

Teri is correct, you don't write a proposal for a memoir, it's a query letter. Like fiction, your manuscript must be completed, polished, and ready to go.

It is my understanding that a memoir query is written in the same manner as a fiction query. It is written in present tense. I don't know if you would write it first person present tense, or third person, but I would venture a guess at first person since it's a memoir. Maybe someone else will have some ansers.

I've never written a memoir, but a friend did and I helped her with research. Here are some links specific to memoir queries that might help you out:

Ms. Snark
Agent Query (scroll to the bottom)
Pub Rants

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
This would be a proposal for an agent.
Co-ghost writing- LOL--> the person needed 2 people to write what s/he couldn't?

I'm on chapter 65 1-2 summary, not bad considering I just started redoing it yesterday. I'm definitely getting much better at skimming down a chapter into a few words!
(I'm on a surfing break...)

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Amy,

Teri is correct, you don't write a proposal for a memoir, it's a query letter. Like fiction, your manuscript must be completed, polished, and ready to go.

Thanks Susan. I polished my query letter in query letter hell and after about 15 drafts, I think it's good!
I got the advice about preparing a proposal from someone who's published 2 memoirs. I thought the process was:
1)send query letter
2)agent loves it and wants the proposal
3) send proposal
4) agent loves it and wants to sign me

I'm familiar with some of the links, but my googling didn't find Pub Rants!

Last edited:

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Most agencies ask for a proposal for nonfiction. Yeh, you need a query, but the next step has been a proposal request 95% of the time for me.

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Most agencies ask for a proposal for nonfiction. Yeh, you need a query, but the next step has been a proposal request 95% of the time for me.
Thanks Wayne- I've been using the one you emailed as a template- I love using excerpts from the chapters in the chapter summaries.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Last round, on the book I have subbed, I got seven requests, and all of them were for a proposal, not the manuscript. Three years ago, all I got was manuscript requests. Maybe it has changed in those three years, I dont remember, , but that seems to be the current trend

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Last round, on the book I have subbed, I got seven requests, and all of them were for a proposal, not the manuscript. Three years ago, all I got was manuscript requests. Maybe it has changed in those three years, I dont remember, , but that seems to be the current trend

Oh, good point, Wayne. I hadn't thought about it until I read this post, but we were doing this 5-6 years ago, and in the UK. So both time and locale could account for differences here.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Oh, good point, Wayne. I hadn't thought about it until I read this post, but we were doing this 5-6 years ago, and in the UK. So both time and locale could account for differences here.
A lot of them are starting to say it on their websites, and recommend ways to write it. Maybe it's faster or easier to judge the book this way or something.