Any pilots on (the) board?

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
My MC is in a small plane and I want him to fly away from his destination. Here's my line:

[FONT=&quot]A summer storm that was pounding central France took them a hundred miles east of Paris.

[/FONT]So, would a storm require a six-seater plane would have to fly around it? If so, is it reasonable it would fly 100 miles due east to do so?

Stanmiller

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mark,
747s fly around thunderstorms. Windshears inside can be extreme. Yes, they'd fly around it. As far as they had to.

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I used to fly small planes. A lot would depend on the pilot, the airplane, and the severity of the storm.

The short answer is yes, it would be reasonably to go 100 miles around to avoid a bad storm. You don't really want to fly a small plane through a thunderstorm.

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
They would avoid the thunderstorm. Depending on the range of the plane, the fuel remaining and the actual location - this could mean flying 'around' it, diverting to a different airport or landing immediately to wait it out and refuel.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
By the way, I would consider using kilometers rather than miles, but that sort of depends on what the story setup is.

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
I flew a 4-seater Piper Arrow through a bad storm on a flight from NJ to SC once. I will never do that again. Definitely go around.