PDA

View Full Version : Any pilots on (the) board?

MarkEsq
12-22-2010, 05:46 PM
My MC is in a small plane and I want him to fly away from his destination. Here's my line:

A summer storm that was pounding central France took them a hundred miles east of Paris.

So, would a storm require a six-seater plane would have to fly around it? If so, is it reasonable it would fly 100 miles due east to do so?

Stanmiller
12-22-2010, 06:15 PM
Mark,
747s fly around thunderstorms. Windshears inside can be extreme. Yes, they'd fly around it. As far as they had to.

alleycat
12-22-2010, 06:16 PM
I used to fly small planes. A lot would depend on the pilot, the airplane, and the severity of the storm.

The short answer is yes, it would be reasonably to go 100 miles around to avoid a bad storm. You don't really want to fly a small plane through a thunderstorm.

WriteKnight
12-22-2010, 06:23 PM
They would avoid the thunderstorm. Depending on the range of the plane, the fuel remaining and the actual location - this could mean flying 'around' it, diverting to a different airport or landing immediately to wait it out and refuel.

alleycat
12-22-2010, 06:28 PM
By the way, I would consider using kilometers rather than miles, but that sort of depends on what the story setup is.

PrincessofPersia
12-23-2010, 10:21 AM
I flew a 4-seater Piper Arrow through a bad storm on a flight from NJ to SC once. I will never do that again. Definitely go around.