Word formats my ellipses in a strange way...

ZMShah

Techno-Fantasizer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.zamilakhtar.com
Whenever I write "..." MS Word shrinks them down into a very-small tightly-enclosed "..."

I'm sure many of you have noticed this. So my question is, in terms of manuscript format, is that okay? If it's not, anyone know a simple way to make MS Word turn them back to the normal spacing and size all at once?

Darkwing

I always put one space between each period in the ellipses. It's the proper formatting (as far as I know) and it stops Word from wreaking havoc with its little substitutions.
Keeping one space between each allows your eventual publisher to typeset it properly. I've heard this is also the reason writers should just use "--" for the em dash instead of allowing Word to substitute a "real" em dash.

Just one of the many reasons the English department at my university hates Word. >.< The little condensed dots also happen to be wrong for MLA format.

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Find your autocorrect options and turn that one off. (Look under both AutoFormat and AutoFormat As You Type in the options tab.) That should stop it for any future ones. You will need to do find and replace (or I suppose find and fix manually) for the ones already present.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
I always put one space between each period in the ellipses. It's the proper formatting (as far as I know) and it stops Word from wreaking havoc with its little substitutions.
Keeping one space between each allows your eventual publisher to typeset it properly. I've heard this is also the reason writers should just use "--" for the em dash instead of allowing Word to substitute a "real" em dash.

Just one of the many reasons the English department at my university hates Word. >.< The little condensed dots also happen to be wrong for MLA format.

So I should stop manually typing in the em dash ― ?

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I still use MS Word 2000, the autocorrect options are found under Tools > Autocorrect

The list of autocorrect substitutions displays in the Autocorrect tab.

Select the special ellipsis (…) item and then hit the Delete button to get rid of this substitution.

While you're in Tools > Autocorrect, you can also delete the em-dash entry so it doesn't change the regular 2-hyphen em-dash (--) to the special em-dash (—) character.

You can use Edit > Find and Replace (or Ctrl-H) to replace all occurrences of the … character with ... (3 periods) or just search for the … character manually and go through your document.

I'm not a fan of spacing periods out when typing ellipses, because they can be split up and drop down into the next line if you're near the right margin. I type 3 periods (without spaces) for pauses... and if it's the end of the sentence, 4 periods.... As long as I'm consistent, editors/typesetters shouldn't have any problems changing this to their preferred style.

-Derek

PeterL

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Rather than just turning that item off in Autocorrect, you should turn off Autocorrect. There are some changes that it may make, but it is safer to do make those changes yourself, so that you won't lose fformatting.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Just turn off autocorrect. You really don't need fancy formatting, especially if you're going to eventual submit it electronically in email. Plain text is all you need. No special characters.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Whenever I write "..." MS Word shrinks them down into a very-small tightly-enclosed "..."

I'm sure many of you have noticed this. So my question is, in terms of manuscript format, is that okay? If it's not, anyone know a simple way to make MS Word turn them back to the normal spacing and size all at once?

I know! It's frustrating! Backspace does the trick.

I don't use them often, but I did leave mine that way. They are a little longer than a dash, so the might be distinguishable as m-dashes.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I didn't switch off Autocorrect because there are many words in the list that I'm always typo'ing as my demented fingers move too fast for my frazzled brain. I just deleted the 2 items that caused me problems instead.

-Derek

Reaction score
One of my publishers specifies that their house style is to use word-generated ellipses.

Of course I should add, anyone who publishes me is clearly out of their gourd anyway. :D