Dario D.
12-22-2010, 06:54 AM
Just wondering...

Kateness
12-22-2010, 06:54 AM
Wondering what?

Dario D.
12-22-2010, 07:03 AM
See poll. :) (threads get posted before you have a chance to fill out the poll)

LBlankenship
12-22-2010, 07:05 AM
... I understood why I didn't get any awards, does that help?

Giant Baby
12-22-2010, 07:18 AM
I was too busy hiding from the kids I was jealous of to notice. They were the kids who ended up getting stoned beneath the bleachers of those things, hiding from the kids who were getting the awards. Can you be more specific about what you need? Is this book fic or non-fic?

charlotte49ers
12-22-2010, 07:21 AM
I honestly don't remember awards in my early elementary years. :/

Drachen Jager
12-22-2010, 09:04 AM
They give out awards at school? You mean like Honour roll? Nobel Peace prize?

branchwag
12-22-2010, 10:21 AM
I remember getting awards and I know that I wanted to get them, but I didn't know what I was doing to get them. Like I just didn't think that I wanted to write better or do my math problems more. I'd just base everything off of the teacher's reactions and try to make them happy because I was figuring out that I would get something for it if I did that. I was a crazy little kid. <.<;

RJK
12-22-2010, 08:59 PM
I don't recall awards per se, but I still remember a drawing I made of a pheasant that was posted in the hallway of the school where all the teachers and students could admire. I remember how proud my mom was when she saw it on parent-teacher conference day. I was in 4th grade. I would have been 9 years old.

backslashbaby
12-22-2010, 09:07 PM
We had perfect attendance awards that I certainly never got, and awards on Field Day.

I actually got an award in sports in Field Day (I hated what sports we played in school): dodgeball :D Yeah, not getting hit in the face I was interested in!

Chase
12-22-2010, 09:16 PM
The poll doesn't apply to my experiences. I attended grade school, high school, college, and grad school in times when the major school awards were grades. They weren't better or worse times; they were just different.

There were no cap and gown graduations for kindergarten. After that, if you didn't get passing grades, you were held back a year. So the big "awards" were passing grades. If you competed in a spelling bee, math contest, or art display and did well, you got other awards. There were also perfect attendance certificates. Everyone knew exactly what all the awards were for.

We had a ceremony for matriculating from the eighth grade, but it was white shirts and blouses, dark trousers and skirts. If you wanted to cross-dress or otherwise be different for the occasion, you got pulled from the ceremony and your diploma came in the mail.

If you continued to go after the award of passing through high school, you got to buy a class ring, have a senior photo taken, and rent a cap and gown for high school graduation. Awards along the way were the same as grade school--you still had to want them and work for them.

The alternative to graduating from high school was a GED certificate, which you told yourself was every bit as good as a HS diploma.

bip
12-22-2010, 09:34 PM
I remember:

- taking 4th place in a chess tournament when I was in 3rd grade, I was the only girl in the placings (it took place on a Saturday but took place at the school)

- taking 2nd place in science fair in 4th grade

- getting an award for perfect attendance in 7th grade, presented at an assembly on a day I missed school (it was near the end of school and my mom pulled me out of school to go shopping - completely out of character for her, which is probably why I remember it so vividly).

As far as student of the month type things? They had them, but either I didn't care about them or never got them or both. The whole proliferation of bumper sticker awards hit after I was too old, I feel like my little bro (7 years younger) got some of those.

PeterL
12-22-2010, 10:08 PM
The matterof giing awards to many students is a new thing. In those timeswhen wisdom was less uncommon it was understoood to students should be flogged if they did poorly, and that good grades enough reward for doing well. The idea that self-esteem was important was a matter for laughter, and the idea that it might be created by awards given by others would have been risible, if anyone had been so foolish as to suggest it.

Has anyone determined whether awards do better for encouraging academic achievement than flogging did?

Debbie V
12-23-2010, 12:21 AM
I did well in a couple of spelling bees. The principal had me studying in her office for the district wide. I knew what that was about.

In High School I got a call at home during finals week to come in and take publicity photos for some insurance company that was giving me a social studies award I'd never heard of much less known I was up for. I remember being suspicious of the teacher who was calling, but suspicious is in my nature. I did get the pictures taken and still have the trophy. (I may have been 16 or seventeen.)

Kathie Freeman
12-25-2010, 09:44 PM
There was a list for perfect attendence, and I was spelling champion one year, but there were no awards per se.

Eudoxia
12-26-2010, 12:17 AM
There were really no "special" rewards at our school. I got a Principle Award a couple of times because of good grades. I once got a small little writers trophy because a short story of mine got published in the school's newspaper. Other than that, nothing too special or fancy.

sheadakota
12-26-2010, 01:24 AM
What kind of awards? We never got any awards. Or do you mean like scholarships or things like that?

debirlfan
12-26-2010, 09:11 AM
I honestly don't remember awards in my early elementary years. :/

I honestly don't remember my early elementary years. Shoot, I barely have a dim recollection of high school.