Be patient or be persistent?

JohnP

Please pass the jelly
Registered
Reaction score
I received a reply to my query from PMA Literary, thanks to people from this web site. An agent replied and liked the concept of my query. Following his instructions, I submitted the required documents. I was not very patient and sent an E-Mail to the agents address to see if he received the packet. The E-Mail was returned as non-deliverable. The PMA web site has a small attachment introducing the new agant when running a search, but there is no address anywhere for him there.

Q: Do I remain patient and wait for a reply, only two more weeks from today by their standards, or do I try to contact them?

Special Note: Thanks to all who helped me get this far!!!!!!

JohnP

Daughter of Faulkner

Always a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mysite.verizon.net
What I often do

Greetings JohnP!
I have sent samples with a delivery confirmation just so I know it was delivered. Many times my samples have been lost via US mail. That hasn't happened to me since I opt for the del. confirmation, I have often given the agent a call too. Other don't but I do. It is okay to do this. Just be upbeat, hello, and just checking to see if you rec. my mss / reading samples. Say no more. Don't ask when you can expect to hear back either. Say thank you for your interest and good bye!
It is wonderful that an agent asked for the sample. Often an agent will e-mail you a reply or contact you via e-mail if you put it in your query letter. Don't sweat it either way. It takes time and the fact that there is an interested soul out there thank God!

:Hail:
Now, start querying other agents to get your mind off this one and IF this one passes.

If this one said 30 days to reply then only after 30 days call again.

All good wishes I send your way~

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
patience

Be patient, at least for another month. Nothing on earth is as annoying as a writer who isn't patient.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Jamesaritchie said:
Nothing on earth is as annoying as a writer who isn't patient.

Well, I can think of a few things that are more annoying... like Old Navy commercials, for instance, and the fact that you can never wipe off all the grass clippings off your shoes before you get in the house, so there are always a few stray grass blades that make their way into your house after you mow the lawn, and...

Um, yeah. I'd definitely vote for "be patient," too. And like James, I'd say to wait two weeks beyond their stated response time-- then call to follow up.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Peter Miller requested a partial after an email query, and unfortunately I failed to note the response time on those materials, but as I recall, it took a couple of months. It might take longer for a positive response, if more people have to look at it.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Annoying

JennaGlatzer said:
Well, I can think of a few things that are more annoying... like Old Navy commercials

Oops. Yep, I forgot about Old Navy commercials.

Okay, the second most annoying thing in the world is an impatient writer.

JohnP

Please pass the jelly
Registered
Reaction score
I have to say that ya’ll are the cat’s whiskers. I knew the answer was at your fingertips and all I had to do was ask! Thank you to all and I will be patient. Wish I could chat but I got to go look in the mailbox to see if they replied yet…

JohnP

JohnP

Please pass the jelly
Registered
Reaction score
Update question?

I did as ya'll suggested and was patient. Today I called to check if the agency received my manuscript submission and required proposal. This was in response to my query. The young lady who answered the phone stated the logged it in last week. (They received it on September 9th per my postal receipt)

Q: Am I still in the running or is this just a way to shut the door? They state that all requested material usually takes 6 weeks for a decision.

Thanks
JohnP

Daughter of Faulkner

Always a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mysite.verizon.net
Glad you called

I believe that you and work work will be fine. I am glad you made the call. Often when I was an editorial assistant, it took me weeks to get through the submissions THEN I had to direct it to who I thought would be the BEST reader for the author. That person took as much time as needed to even take it out of his / her mailbox. My advice is to now give it time, wait, and begin your next one.

You can make another follow up call in a couple of weeks.

All good wishes I send to you and hope this is the BEST agent for you & your work.

:hi:

blackbird

Registered
Reaction score
PMA is a legit agency. However, they do tend to have a lot of agents who come and go there. They are great people, but it's very possible that the agent you submitted to, unless it was Peter himself, is no longer there. I would suggest sending another email, directly to Peter, and inquiring about your manuscript's status, or better yet, call. It can't hurt, especially if you express it as simple concern that your material has been received.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
OneTeamOneDream said:
Me personally, I can't stand this "unwritten" rule. I think it sucks. How impatient is an editor at deadline time?

Very. But unless you're an editor, it doesn't matter. Impatients wirters are annoying, and generally shoot themselves in the foot far mnore often than not.
And dealines have nothing to do with what we're talking about here. Deadlines come about because of a contractual agreement between the writer and the editor. When you give your word to an editor that something will be done by a given time, the editor has every right to be impatient.

Impatient at other times just comes across as pestering and annoying. Patience really is a virtue. Impatience isn't.

OneTeam OneDream

Been a long time...
Registered
Reaction score
Jamesaritchie said:
Impatient at other times just comes across as pestering and annoying. Patience really is a virtue. Impatience isn't.

Tell that to people who have waited over a year...just to get a rejection. But wait, they were told "have patience, its a virtue." I see your point, but ......

SRHowen

Erotica is not a four letter word!
Registered
Reaction score
That's why you go on to other projects and forget about the one you sent out. I have a calendar program that pops up with set reminders for dates--set it two weeks beyond the date they gave you then send a follow up e-mail, letter, or make a phone call. Before that, let it go and work on the next project.

Shawn