• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Sparklesoup LLC / The Edge Books

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm ... main author shares a name with the one piece of contact info available on either site ....

I see nothing to recommend them and many reasons to avoid them, starting with the lack of who's who behind the company.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
I checked Edge Books out, and all the books featured there are by the one author. Plus, every blurb has some typo, grammatical error or missing word. So does the "Who We Are" section.

The EDGE books is the new imprint for Sparklesoup LLC, a mid-sized traditional publisher with a social conscious.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I noted that too. And "mid-sized" should refer to something the size of Kensington or Baen, not a micropress with no distribution.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Between the name Sparklesoup and the whole look of their Edge imprint page, I nominate them for least original concept ripoff of the year.

I am *so* tired of Twilight, maybe I'm being a bit harsh.

Or not.

ETA: For review copies & media inquiries, one is directed to send email to "sparklesoup (at) aol (dot) com". Yes, that's a cut-and-paste--I didn't change anything. What business presents its official email addresses like that? Of course, how many mid-size traditional publishers use an AOL email address? [I'm sincerely hoping that's a trick question ;)].

Last edited:

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
I checked Edge Books out, and all the books featured there are by the one author. Plus, every blurb has some typo, grammatical error or missing word. So does the "Who We Are" section.

Yep, every single one.

The Sparklesoup website made noises at me.

The buy links lead you right back to their "store" page, even though they're supposedly available at Amazon, B&N, etc. So if you want to buy you need to either buy an autographed copy from them, or go to a different site in a different window and hunt around.

And of course, the biggest problem. NO EXCERPTS.

Sigh.

Stijn Hommes

Know what you write...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.peccarymagazine.5u.com
The EDGE books is the new imprint for Sparklesoup LLC, a mid-sized traditional publisher with a social conscious.
Apart from the grammar and spelling errors in there, I don't like how they feel the need to mention they're a traditional publisher. If they are, that should be obvious from the submission and publishing process. Combined with what others have said, I wouldn't recommend them.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
It's a joke, right? If you go far enough into the sparkly website you'll get rickrolled, right? Right? Or Cullen-rolled? Do the Cullens sing? (fervently hopes not)

Still :Headbang: over "social conscious". And :mad: at "traditional" publisher.

Run like the wind, writers!

chancerychislett

better at querying than writing...
Registered
Reaction score
their bookcovers alone make me wary...

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Sparklesoup site is gone, and The Edge's is (still) a hash, but both imprints are active -- although primarily as a self-publishing vehicle.