PDA

View Full Version : To study or not to study...

JayEss
10-04-2005, 12:38 PM
Hi all,

(I've been on a roll lately with all of my serious questions and here is another!)

I've been working in IT forever. Recently I made the decision to pursue a career in professional writing. Hurrah!

For the cash factor, I hope to start writing policies/procedures and I have an appointment with a career planner to see how I can make that happen.

As far as the big picture is concerned, I still want to pursue my dream as a creative writer and I am OK if it is going to be years before that happens.

My big question: I have been looking at doing a part-time (4 year) course in professional writing. It covers most aspects of writing - freelance journalism, tv & film, fictional writing etc etc. But I'm not sure if I should do it. I want to of course, as I itch to learn all I can about writing, but if the study is going to be a waste of time for me professionally then I don't want to enrol.

What are people's thoughts?

JayEss
10-05-2005, 04:59 AM
I am all alone... :flag: Heh.

Cathy C
10-05-2005, 08:05 PM
You posted in the wrong forum to get an answer, JayEss... ;) This is an announcement board.

But since I happened by, I guess the question is what do you hope to get out of it? Studying is NEVER a waste of time. It's possible it would be a waste of money, but a lot depends on whether it's the only source of information locally. You're in Australia, and it might be harder to get the information EXCEPT in a classroom format. I don't know. I'm in the U.S., and the information is around every corner for free.

Four years isn't that long in the scheme of things, and you could very well learn a tremendous amount and, more importantly, possibly MEET THE PEOPLE that could make your career. Very often, with organized certificate programs such as this, they have guest appearances by well-known people. Those contacts might well be your ticket to skipping past the people getting the same information out of a book in the library.

So, ultimately it's up to you, but it's not a waste of time. I would recommend that you definitely check out the class, though. Has it been on-going for some time? What have other graduates of the program achieved in their careers? (a good indication of quality of instruction.) Do they have well-known guest speakers (published authors, major directors, etc.?) Don't be afraid to ask for references of the instructor and the school.

Good luck!

JayEss
10-06-2005, 04:18 AM
Thanks Cathy,

I realised after I posted it here that it wasn't really appropriate... and I thought it was too much hassle to post elsewhere hehe.

But that's OK because I have decided to apply for the course - I think I will benefit from it artistically and profesisonally; also, like you said, I could get some good contacts out of it too. I need the extra study and truthfully, I should have done this years ago!

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Hannah
10-06-2005, 05:03 AM
I say go for it!

I'm 32 years old and just went back to college this past January for journalism, with a minor in creative writing. It's a lot of fun (and challenging) and I know more than I did a few months ago.