PDA

View Full Version : Economics help

efreysson
12-20-2010, 02:03 AM
Don't worry, I'm not asking for a detailed description of these current financial woes or anything; I'm writing fantasy stories and I'm currently on a drive to give my setting a bit more depth. I don't really go into great detail about the social structure or politics (my focus is on the characters and their inner workings), but I want to have some of the broader basics figured out so I can fit them into the stories when the plot requires it.

So, I'm basically looking for someone willing to advice me through some light PM correspondence so I can hammer out the economics and mercantile system of my pre-industrial society. Any takers?

LaceWing
12-20-2010, 03:58 AM
http://delong.typepad.com/sdj/2010/12/what-do-econ-1-students-need-to-remember-most-from-the-course.html (look also for part two, which as I recall is linked therein).

http://www.howardbloom.net/genius/endnotes if you get distracted from your project and want to think more deeply about economics in an organic/humantistic way.

PS. Advice is a noun. Advise is a verb.

Hallen
12-22-2010, 05:38 AM
Yeah, uhm, that first article is really good until you find and read part two -- then it goes downhill (economics are full of theory and opinion: everybody is right and everybody is wrong). Regardless, economic theory is probably not exactly what the OP is looking for.

Economy = society. So figure out how you want your society to work, and then use a bit of common sense about how people are going to exchange goods and services. Is there money of some kind? Is it a pure barter system? Chances are, it's a bit of a mix. Do you have tradesmen of some kind? Do you have merchants? Or, is everybody a serf who's beholden to their local lord?

I'm no expert by any means, but that's how I deal with it. A little bit goes a long ways. I do know that some people don't like seeing early feudal systems mixed with affluent merchants. It usually didn't work that way. A merchant class usually evolves later on when some level of stability has been obtained and common people are allowed to own land. Prior to that, you're either a farmer, a simple tradesman, a servant, or you're a noble with a few oddities thrown in.

Remember this though: In general, the higher the levels of specialization in the workforce, the higher the standards of living will be.